The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How would you fix severly pitted crossmember metal? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266652)

34pickup 07-21-2019 01:18 PM

How would you fix severly pitted crossmember metal?

1 Attachment(s)
I have an original front crossmember for a 32 Ford that is severely pitted in places. What would be an acceptable method of repairing this? It has too many contours and angles for me to replace the metal. I do not have a metal shop, just work in my garage. Do you think leading would work?

Kurt in NJ 07-21-2019 01:23 PM

Re: How would you fix severly pitted crossmember metal?

It has a crack too -- near the motor mount hole, ---- find a better one?, sandblast, weld cracks, fill with epoxy

deuce_roadster 07-21-2019 01:26 PM

Yes, V out and weld up all cracks. I would use All Metal if I wasn't replacing the whole thing (which probably contains epoxy).

34pickup 07-21-2019 01:26 PM

I thought of filling pits in with weld but that might warp it. Its made of unobtainium and almost impossible to find a better one. I have two that look the same. I also thought of a plastic like filler, it had bondo in the pits when I got it.

35fordtn 07-21-2019 01:29 PM

Personally, I’d do as deuce roadster suggested and v cut the cracks and weld, and use a GOOD filler for the pits

The most ideal fix would be filling each pit using a TIG welder and grinding back smooth, but for the time involved; I wouldn’t go that route.

Angledrive 07-21-2019 01:51 PM

As said weld up the cracks and then use All Metal on clean sandblasted surface.

marko39 07-21-2019 02:03 PM

For filling those pits I would use Devcon as this stuff hardens like steel.

34pickup 07-21-2019 02:05 PM

I am not worried about the cracks, I know they must be welded.

My concern is the aesthetic looks of the pits. I wonder if the use of plastic filler would be like we say down here.."redneck".

I have not heard of All Metal. Is that like metal in a plastic like base?

skidmarks 07-21-2019 02:11 PM

Sandblast and weld up the deep pits. Weld a few and grind them down and repeat. That way you dont gouge up or over grind and make a mess.

19Fordy 07-21-2019 02:13 PM

If it were mine, I would very patiently apply a touch of tack weld to each little pit and then grind it smooth - each time giving it a chance to cool between welds. I know it would take a while but since it's such a rare piece,it's worth it and would give you a great feeling of accomplishment only you will know.

34pickup 07-21-2019 02:21 PM

I believe I will give it a shot at welding each one, slowly. Hey, I am retired, I have plenty of time, or the rest of my life...
I first bought this car in 1974 so its not like I am in a hurry to flip it or anything.
Thanks for the suggestions.

ford38v8 07-21-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34pickup (Post 1779570)
I believe I will give it a shot at welding each one, slowly.

Don't weld slowly. Tack one then go to another. Give it time to cool and grind flush in between tacks.

Andy 07-21-2019 04:03 PM

Is the other end as bad? I may be able to help.

woodiewagon46 07-21-2019 06:10 PM

I would fill the pitting with silver solder, grind it smooth and use a skim coat of filler. As far as the crack, "v" it out and TIG weld it. As others have suggested, '32 front crossmembers ar not easily obtained.

bigdoor 07-21-2019 06:58 PM

well out here in the desert we would weld the cracks grind the weld paint it bolt it on and drive it

34pickup 07-21-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 1779600)
Is the other end as bad? I may be able to help.

Yep, the only non pitted part is the middle where a common repair was made at the spring mount.

34pickup 07-21-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 1779572)
Don't weld slowly. Tack one then go to another. Give it time to cool and grind flush in between tacks.

I didn't mean weld slowly, I meant that I am in no hurry .

cas3 07-21-2019 08:40 PM

i got to agree with big door, paint it and get on with life. if its an open wheeled car where it will be seen, then bondo is a wonderful product. ever try to get a gob you spilled off a dirty, dusty, oily floor? if its going to be a restored car, once the fenders and radiator are in place it wont be seen unless some guy has your hood up and his face down next to the frame, at which point i would kick him in the butt and close the hood

3twinridges 07-21-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas3 (Post 1779668)
i got to agree with big door, paint it and get on with life. If its an open wheeled car where it will be seen, then bondo is a wonderful product. Ever try to get a gob you spilled off a dirty, dusty, oily floor? If its going to be a restored car, once the fenders and radiator are in place it wont be seen unless some guy has your hood up and his face down next to the frame, at which point i would kick him in the butt and close the hood

lol!

flatford8 07-22-2019 05:24 AM

“unless some guy has your hood up and his face down next to the frame, at which point i would kick him in the butt and close the hood“
Haha....I love this answer!!....Mark