The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hood Center Rod Diameter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250916)

Neil Wilson 09-06-2018 12:27 PM

Hood Center Rod Diameter

Anyone know the diameter for the center rod for a hood? I am guessing it is 3/8" (.375"). But, the one rod I have seems to be slightly smaller.

1955cj5 09-06-2018 05:26 PM

Re: Hood Center Rod Diameter

1 Attachment(s)
I measured mine as you can see, it is slightly smaller on the ends near the sockets.

The section I measured is suppose to have part of the hinge around it but the hinge has been missing for a long time...

It also appears to be rolled like the original radiator supports. Does that seem right?

I've had the hood off but do not remember if it's a tube.....

1955cj5 09-06-2018 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Curiosity got the better of me so I took the hood support off and sure enough, mine at least, is a tube....

Smaller at this end also, no doubt due to wear...

Terry, NJ 09-06-2018 06:32 PM

3/8 O.D. tubing

Mike Peters 09-06-2018 06:54 PM

I recently used a piece of 3/8" threaded rod for a center hood hinge rod and it works OK. A non threaded 3/8" rod would be better. 5/16" ID brake line from auto parts stores is a bit loose.

Jacksonlll 09-06-2018 07:48 PM

Go to a welding shop and get one 3/8 in brass brazing rod, and two 1/4 in for the sides. They won’t rust and work good.

jw hash 09-06-2018 08:40 PM

the hood center rod is 3/8" the side panel rod are 1/4" I use stainless, it works good foe me

Chris Haynes 09-06-2018 11:56 PM

Just order new ones. Stainless won't rust out like what you have.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/stainless-hood-rods
PS Clamp the end in a drill motor and rotate it to remove and replace the rods.

Neil Wilson 09-07-2018 11:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did some more research and found that the original top hinge rod is about 1/64th less than 3/8" diameter. And yes, this hinge was a seemed tube.

Vendors sell 3/8" diameter stainless steel solid rods. Snyder's sell "not solid" rods (but they don't look like the original seemed tube). It looks like 3/8" diameter rod is available industry wide.

Basically, getting the original .36+" diameter is not feasible today.

The Ford engineering drawing would likely provide the diameter they use.

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-07-2018 11:59 AM

For pins, I use wood dowels, soaked in Linseed oil. NO RUST NO SQUEEK!
Bill Tricky

Chris Haynes 09-07-2018 12:50 PM

After nearly 90 years of use and abuse most hood hinges are worn and loose. The extra 1/64" fits just fine.

SeaSlugs 09-08-2018 09:17 AM

Ive been told the horn rod tube is same construction and diameter as the center pin... Take a measure neil. Theres tons of old horn rods layin around

daveymc29 09-08-2018 09:49 AM

I had bad luck with the center tube and the drill motor. I did it quite slowly and carefully with a goodly dash of sewing machine oil to lube it up. About half way out it grabbed and looked like the remains of the old can lids that you took off with a key. (Remember the old tuna cans?) replaced with stainless from Bratton's.

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-09-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1672553)
I had bad luck with the center tube and the drill motor. I did it quite slowly and carefully with a goodly dash of sewing machine oil to lube it up. About half way out it grabbed and looked like the remains of the old can lids that you took off with a key. (Remember the old tuna cans?) replaced with stainless from Bratton's.

Or OLD COFFEE CANS! You WIND & WIND & the strip goes ASTRAY & you hunt for the PLIERS, to rip it off, while EVERYONES' waitin' fer COFFEE! WITHOUT COFFEE, there's NO MORNING LIFE!!!
In the mornings, ALL my body parts don't wake up at the SAME time, COFFEE even helps me get into LOW GEAR, I "thought" my clutch needed adjustment, but it was "OK"---LOL
Bill Slow