The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Woody (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305049)

[email protected] 10-11-2021 11:01 AM

Model A Woody

I have a 1931 model a woody delivery. I’d like to change the body to passenger.
Anyone out there have any ideas?

Ruth 10-11-2021 11:15 AM

Re: Model A Woody

Do you want to change it to a station wagon or another body type, like a coupe?

Ivan in southeast va. 10-11-2021 03:10 PM

I assume you want to turn it into a station wagon. If it is in good condition I would leave it as is and look for an A that you want.

jerrytocci 10-11-2021 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 475310I did this

henry's 31 10-11-2021 03:20 PM

I agree with Ivan. The special delivery is a very rare Model A. You would do better if you sell this one and purchase the Model A Station Wagon. I am working on a Station Wagon Project and most parts are hard to come by. I purchased the last wood body from a fellow in Michigan and now his place was destroyed by fire. Hope tis elps.

ronn 10-11-2021 05:31 PM

totally agree with Ivan and Henry- unless its a jalopy- then have a go at it.

[email protected] 10-12-2021 03:14 AM

I agree I’ll leave it as a delivery
Thanks

mercman from oz 10-12-2021 03:22 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1633983559
jerrytocci created this Model A "Woody".

henry's 31 10-12-2021 03:52 PM

very nice job. Great craftmanship. Thanks for sharing.

WTSHNN 10-12-2021 04:14 PM

If your car is a true Special Delivery with the roll up front windows and barn door rear access then I would leave it alone.

If it is a homemade pie-wagon type truck then I wouldn't be opposed to changing it over to a Station Wagon.

jwmckenzie 10-12-2021 04:24 PM

The biggest issue faced with building a Station Wagon are the metal parts and the wood. Just not being reproduced at this point.

As stated above if you have a true Special Delivery, it is very rare and likely will bring enough $$ to buy a really nice Station Wagon.

Here is a true Special Delivery.

https://www.beamingpix.com/images/20...l-Delivery.jpg

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-13-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwmckenzie (Post 2066065)
The biggest issue faced with building a Station Wagon are the metal parts and the wood. Just not being reproduced at this point.

My shop is making the wood pieces for two 150B bodies right now, and have a gentleman that has been inquiring about us making him a body also. Do you feel their is a market in making the steel pieces? If so, for how many bodies??

henry's 31 10-13-2021 01:00 PM

Hi Brent:

Probably the best person to ask about the metal parts is Ruth from S&S. I purchased all she had available for my project. She is not making any new, does not have everything available, so when it is gone there will not be any more. I know if you start making them you will do them correctly. Maybe you might want to talk to her. I appreciate ALL you do for the hobby.
Al

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-13-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry's 31 (Post 2066357)
Hi Brent:

Probably the best person to ask about the metal parts is Ruth from S&S. I purchased all she had available for my project. She is not making any new, does not have everything available, so when it is gone there will not be any more. I know if you start making them you will do them correctly. Maybe you might want to talk to her. I appreciate ALL you do for the hobby.
Al

I do have a sample in the shop now, -and if I could ever get inside the Benson Library again, I could get many of the drawing to make accurate pieces. From what I have been told, several pieces that Ruth was making are not that accurate in aesthetics. Would you or someone else know if that is true?

I am assuming that all of Carl's patterns, jig fixtures, etc. that he used at Pleasantville 'perished' in the Michigan fire??

henry's 31 10-13-2021 03:44 PM

HI BRET;

The fire was in Michigan, Ruth and her deceased husband are in New York. The finish of the pieces I purchased from her was much better than anything I purchased on Ebay. Perhaps she can sell you some of the jigs etc. I know she was selling the business but I don't think anyone has purchased it. The person that had the fire in Michigan is the person that did the wood body for my project and he had stated mine was the last one he was doing. Hope this helps.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-13-2021 04:24 PM

Carl Steenburg (sp??) was Ruth's brother if I recall correctly, however he is the one that owned Pleasantville that actually made the wood portions of the bodies. As I understand it, a couple of guys from Michigan purchased the patterns & jigs from Carl to carry on manufacturing these bodies. I believe it was their shop that burned, -which likely means that all of the patterns, jigs, & fixtures burned too.

I am unsure if the quality of her tooling would be worth the investment. I have been told her products were close but not correct. That is why I was asking if someone had first-hand knowledge that could confirm or refute that.