The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help disassembling rear left brake for 1929 Model A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268201)

tintin 08-20-2019 04:14 PM

Help disassembling rear left brake for 1929 Model A

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

I am trying to service left rear brakes on my 1929 Model A. I am unable to disconnect the emergency brake lever behind the backing plate from the toggle lever which it is attached to. I have removed the hex bolt but don't know what to do next. What does the woodruff key do and how should I remove it?

Thanks.

Attachment 404696

Bob C 08-20-2019 04:30 PM

Re: Help disassembling rear left brake for 1929 Model A

Try driving a chisel in the slot and spread the arm a little, don't get crazy.

Bob

JOHN CT 08-20-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1790128)
Try driving a chisel in the slot and spread the arm a little, don't get crazy.

Bob

A little penetrating oil won’t hurt.

Tom Endy 08-20-2019 05:00 PM

Keep in mind these levers are a left and a right. They should be marked. The springs wrapped around them are also left and right, don't switch them.

Tom Endy

Mel Gross 08-20-2019 05:48 PM

Get a large screwdriver or pry bar and put it in the opening where you remove the bolt from and spread the arm a little. Then tap the end of the emergency shaft with a hammer while holding the arm. It should pop right off. The woodruff key usually stays in position. When you are ready to remove the key, use a flat blade chisel and tap the end of the woodruff key. It will pop off. Don't lose it. Tape it to a piece of tape or place it on a magnet for safe keeping.

tintin 08-20-2019 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for your tips. I have sprayed penetrating oil and will leave it overnight. Since I don't have access to a torch to heat it up, I am afraid of breaking the piece when spreading it with a screwdriver/chisel/pry bar.

Not sure whether you are able to see the photo that I had added to my original post. Is the emergency brake lever supposed to be flush with the end of the toggle lever? The left side has it inset, the right side is flush with the end of the toggle lever. Please see attached photos.

Next task would be to remove the service brake camshaft lever. Any instructions on doing that?

tintin 08-20-2019 09:13 PM

There are no springs on either side but the emergency brakes were working fine before I started opening things. Should I add the springs?

Bob C 08-20-2019 09:36 PM

They worked fine with the levers upside down :eek:
Bob

Synchro909 08-20-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 1790212)
Since I don't have access to a torch to heat it up, I am afraid of breaking the piece when spreading it with a screwdriver/chisel/pry bar.

You don't need to open the slot very far at all - just enough to break the grip between the lever and the shaft. One tap on a chisel or screw driver in the slot should do it.

tintin 08-20-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1790221)
They worked fine with the levers upside down :eek:
Bob

oops...are both of them supposed to be facing upwards?

jw hash 08-20-2019 11:57 PM

yes they are supposed to face upward. the arms are a forging they do NOT break very easily, you already have the two bolts out of the radius rod remove the front bolt and remove the radius rod and the backing plate will come right off, then you can remove the arms easier.

Tom Wesenberg 08-22-2019 06:54 PM

Since the arms are upside down, they most likely are also on the wrong side.
The clevis has an angle to match the brake rod.

100IH 08-22-2019 08:31 PM

Look closely for a" R" or "L" near the part #. A 2 jaw puller might get it sliding off.

tintin 08-25-2019 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to remove the lever by sliding it out with a pry bar. The backing plate came off easily after that even with the camshaft lever still attached. The next problem is to remove the camshaft lever. Looks like the backing plate was painted afterwards (see attached photos) and so I cannot make out the ends of the pin.

What's the way to remove the pin that holds the camshaft lever?

Regarding the emergency brake lever, it is most likely on the wrong side. I'll open the other side brake also and see if it fixes the installation.

I am planning on getting the backing plates and brake drums sandblasted and then painted. My goal is to get the car restored to original specs. Not sure if spray painting vs powder coating makes a difference in that aspect. Any thoughts on this?

Roger V 08-26-2019 01:52 PM

I wrote an article on removing those service brake levers in the March-April 2009 Model A News if you know anyone who has a library of those. At any rate, I drill from both ends of the rivet to just the thickness of the lever. I do this is steps up to the rivet hole diameter but not into the lever. Remove the cam and put a rod/drift into the cam shaft hole with the other end in a vice. Put an adjustable wrench on the end of the lever and shear the remaining shell of the rivet. You can then wiggle it off the cam shaft. Don't worry about hurting the lever as it's forged and way stronger then the drilled rivet shell.

Ranchero50 08-26-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 1791971)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to remove the lever by sliding it out with a pry bar. The backing plate came off easily after that even with the camshaft lever still attached. The next problem is to remove the camshaft lever. Looks like the backing plate was painted afterwards (see attached photos) and so I cannot make out the ends of the pin.

What's the way to remove the pin that holds the camshaft lever?

Regarding the emergency brake lever, it is most likely on the wrong side. I'll open the other side brake also and see if it fixes the installation.

I am planning on getting the backing plates and brake drums sandblasted and then painted. My goal is to get the car restored to original specs. Not sure if spray painting vs powder coating makes a difference in that aspect. Any thoughts on this?

What value do you get by removing it versus leaving it in place? Personally I hate sand blasting parts as I feel it just makes it easier for the paint to lift and the sand gets into everything. Not a big fan of powder either after watching rust creeping under the plastic. I have air cleaners that I sand blasted and painted decades ago that have rusted just sitting in the garage. I'm wire wheeling the parts I care enough to remove the paint or rust. One of my e-brake levers is a little tight. I plan on dosing it with heavy oil and working it in once the backing plates have been painted.

tintin 08-27-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 1792252)
What value do you get by removing it versus leaving it in place? Personally I hate sand blasting parts as I feel it just makes it easier for the paint to lift and the sand gets into everything. Not a big fan of powder either after watching rust creeping under the plastic. I have air cleaners that I sand blasted and painted decades ago that have rusted just sitting in the garage. I'm wire wheeling the parts I care enough to remove the paint or rust. One of my e-brake levers is a little tight. I plan on dosing it with heavy oil and working it in once the backing plates have been painted.

I am also debating whether there is any real value in removing the camshaft lever.The camshaft seems to be in good shape. All other parts of the rear brakes on both sides have been removed. My only reason to remove would be to clean and lubricate it properly and also allow the backing plate to be repainted easily.

tintin 08-27-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger V (Post 1792183)
I wrote an article on removing those service brake levers in the March-April 2009 Model A News if you know anyone who has a library of those. At any rate, I drill from both ends of the rivet to just the thickness of the lever. I do this is steps up to the rivet hole diameter but not into the lever. Remove the cam and put a rod/drift into the cam shaft hole with the other end in a vice. Put an adjustable wrench on the end of the lever and shear the remaining shell of the rivet. You can then wiggle it off the cam shaft. Don't worry about hurting the lever as it's forged and way stronger then the drilled rivet shell.

Does anyone have this article in their archives that they can share?

I am a newbie Model A owner with more than 40 years difference between me and my car. So any help from more experienced owners is much appreciated.

tintin 10-12-2019 11:01 PM

Hello All,

I was able to disassemble all components of the rear brakes. Everything that needs to be painted has been sandblasted and prep'ed for painting. I need help on a few more things before I proceed with the next step:

1. I plan to use brake caliper paint for backing plate, outside surface of brake drum and both levers. Is this the correct paint to use?
2. What's the proper grease to use for lubricating the Model A - Synthetic or non-synthetic?
3. Do I need a special grease for packing the wheel bearing?
4. Since I am just starting with my first lubrication job on this car, what grease gun is the most appropriate to buy?

Thanks in advance.

100IH 10-20-2019 12:50 PM

Drum bralkes do not generate quite as much heat and not so concentrated. Any quality paint will do. Caliper paint is overkill. Grease for chassis is called chassis grease and historically just goose fat or other fats. The semi clear golden colored ones are my fav. Most are higher duty with Molybdenum and black - a mess. Might even be hard to find the old stuff - mine is a 5 gal. pail and quite old. So the answer is non synthetic. Wheel bearings need fibrous grease - may also hard to find and has been discussed in the past. _ mostly for the rear roller bearing in the hub. Original grease fittings or zerk modern upgrades. Adapters are available if chassis has a mix of both. Lincoln is a good brand of lever gun.Original push type of gun is good to have for water pump grease and other ones with chassis grease.