The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing an Air Maze filter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239089)

Dave Young 02-12-2018 03:24 PM

Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Had a leak from my carburetor (29 Tudor) and saw that the Air Maze filter
(mounted directly below it) was soaked with gas.

Reading back over the many threads about the advantages and disadvantages of air filters, I've decided the risk of a fire there is more than I'm willing to take. I've stopped the leak, but I think I want to eliminate the
filter. Simple enough to remove the filter cartridge, but what needs to be done about the filter holder and the U-shape connector to the carburetor?
Is leaving it there (in case I later change my mind) a problem or do I need to remove it ... and do what?

Thanks for your advice.

Charlie Stephens 02-12-2018 04:11 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

I am not sure I understand you. A picture would be good.

Charlie Stephens

Hoovercw 02-12-2018 04:18 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

I just removed the whole thing. Its just one set screw if I remember, I too run with it off most of the time.

JBill 02-12-2018 05:41 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Whether to use an air filter or not has got a lot of attention on this board. If you've fixed your leaky carburetor there's really no reason to remove the filter--if you think you'd like to have one. If it was "soaked," you probably had one of the paper filter inserts. I think they come originally with a wire mesh filter (which is what I have) that is not likely, or as likely, to get soaked. I'm not sure if you can get the mesh filter separately if someone before you threw that part away. I know you can get the paper filters. Maybe somebody else knows.

Anyway, Hoovercw is correct, there's just a set screw to remove the whole thing.

kimeccles 02-12-2018 06:16 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

I think this is the way to go. Closest to the original accessory. I would not use paper.

https://www.brattons.com/replacement...ze-filter.html

Jwilli 02-12-2018 06:31 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

I use the wire mesh. Bought from Mikes-A- Fordable.

Tom Wesenberg 02-12-2018 11:53 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Wire mesh should be soaked in oil so it traps the dust. When dirty you can rinse in gas and reoil.

BillCNC 02-13-2018 11:43 AM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

1 Attachment(s)
K@N Filter's are a Knock-off of these types of filters. The K@N oil Recharge kit is the best thing for these original screen's.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...-kit/92607_0_0

Regards
Bill

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-13-2018 04:18 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Wire mesh ONLY traps BUTTERFLYS/ROCKS! Use a HIGH-MOUNT air cleaner, with a K&N element & you won't GRIND out your RINGS!
Bill Cleanair

PalAl 02-16-2018 10:21 AM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1592542)
K@N Filter's are a Knock-off of these types of filters. The K@N oil Recharge kit is the best thing for these original screen's.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...-kit/92607_0_0

Regards
Bill

Bill, would the High Boy K&N offered for a Model A change any carb adjustments? Mainly the idle. Is there an air restriction with this type filter? Are you running one? If so do you like it?
Thanks

wingski 02-16-2018 10:44 AM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Boy, I sure miss the days when we cleaned something up and re-used it instead of throwing it away. I think one of the major things wrong with our society is throwing something away instead of re-using it. The old stone or pumice gas filters, the wire-mesh air filteres, and the toilet paper oil filters. Whoops, you couldnít re-use one of those.

Mike

duke36 02-16-2018 11:21 AM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

To answer Pal Al question, 3 filters were tried: the mesh, the paper and the washable K&N 6" long. The latter fit the air maze housing and carb. and required very slight carb idle air adjustments compared to no filter. The 1st 2 required more idle adjustment due to air restriction though we have no empirical numbers data to prove this. Other threads suggest the 5.5" or the 6" K&N seem to work OK due to the length of filter medium.

PalAl 02-16-2018 02:15 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1593741)
To answer Pal Al question, 3 filters were tried: the mesh, the paper and the washable K&N 6" long. The latter fit the air maze housing and carb. and required very slight carb idle air adjustments compared to no filter. The 1st 2 required more idle adjustment due to air restriction though we have no empirical numbers data to prove this. Other threads suggest the 5.5" or the 6" K&N seem to work OK due to the length of filter medium.

Thank you Duke
Have heard the horror stories of a backfire and then an engine compartment fire. Thought the high boy K&N after market air filter may be a safer option.
Al

mfarley 02-16-2018 02:28 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1592406)
Wire mesh should be soaked in oil so it traps the dust. When dirty you can rinse in gas and reoil.

How exactly does this work? Wouldn't the oil drain out of the wire mesh and down to fill the lower cover? Is there a specific oil for this? I have a wire mesh filter but it has always been run dry. I tried a paper one, but it messed with the idle, and the fire thing concerns me.

Dave Young 02-16-2018 02:51 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Well, some interesting replies, but nobody has actually answered my question. I'll try again ...

Will simply removing the filter cartridge be acceptable or, should I remove the whole thing including the U-pipe connector to the carburetor. Anything to be added in its place?

Thanks. Dave

sphanna 02-16-2018 04:34 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

I think Hoovercw pretty much answered your question. No nee to only take out the filter element and leave the rest. The set screw is the only thing that holds the whole thing on the carburetor air intake. If you leave it on you risk loosing it as the set screw is likely to loosen.

Magicbox51 02-16-2018 05:15 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Young (Post 1593832)
Well, some interesting replies, but nobody has actually answered my question. I'll try again ...

Will simply removing the filter cartridge be acceptable or, should I remove the whole thing including the U-pipe connector to the carburetor. Anything to be added in its place?

Thanks. Dave

Yes, you can just take the filter off leaving the U-shaped tube.
You can also take the whole thing off with the one and only set screw holding it on.
No, there is nothing that goes on in its place.

Stock carbs had no filter. Odd, because roads were so dusty back then. Oh well....

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-16-2018 05:26 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalAl (Post 1593711)
Bill, would the High Boy K&N offered for a Model A change any carb adjustments? Mainly the idle. Is there an air restriction with this type filter? Are you running one? If so do you like it?
Thanks

They provide WAY more air than needed. I sold Vermin which had a VINTAGE, hang down wire mesh filter. The re-pro SMALL paper element is TOO small & makes one run WAY TOO RICH. It's a JOKE & VERY apt to cause a FIRE! They make a LONGER element & a LONGER rod for it, that's a SEMI-JOKE & still prone to FIRES!
Just use the HIGH MOUNT filter with a K&N filter element & be done with it. I'm TIRED of preaching this!
I'd give you a DISGUSTED Smiley Face, but they don't work anymore?????

Purdy Swoft 02-16-2018 08:00 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

They cause more problems than they will ever solve . Besides that, they are ugly and are not original . Henry didn't think that an air filter was needed , he must have been right !!! Probably more model A's have survived than any of the other cars of the time and they survived without a filter .

Tom Wesenberg 02-16-2018 08:28 PM

Re: Removing an Air Maze filter
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfarley (Post 1593821)
How exactly does this work? Wouldn't the oil drain out of the wire mesh and down to fill the lower cover? Is there a specific oil for this? I have a wire mesh filter but it has always been run dry. I tried a paper one, but it messed with the idle, and the fire thing concerns me.



Saturate the screen and let it drip back into the container of oil. After 5 minutes of dripping, install it, and the screen with a light oil coating should trap a lot of dust. Lots of lawn mowers used an oil wetted screen that needed to be rinsed in gas and re oiled.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.