The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1930 Cabriolet running board shield (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239064)

kimeccles 02-11-2018 07:28 PM

1930 Cabriolet running board shield

1 Attachment(s)
This is the splash shield and running board support all sort of one piece and I am still waiting to get some original style frames for them. What year or month would this be according to judging or what is this style called?

thanks

Kim

jw hash 02-12-2018 12:26 AM

Re: 1930 Cabriolet running board shield

they are early 30 two piece splash aprons. they were used up until mid 1930.

100IH 02-12-2018 12:42 PM

JW, is that 2 pieces front to rear, as in separate nose piece? And one piece on the running board and splash apron? Commercials another animal , separate splash and board.

kimeccles 02-12-2018 01:31 PM

I think it is one solid piece for the running board section. Only the front and back by the fenders bolt together. The rest where you get in by the splash side part is all together.

I believe this needs to have the special running board zinc trim pieces and not a separate bolt on running board like most after market ones. I have a set of separate new boards with metal support frames and rubber from Snyder's or Bratton's but they do not fit so I will probably be selling them.

After some looking in the MARC book I think these were from Jan 1930 to Sept 1930 style with it all attached to the splash shield, but so many other things are different. I think these are original but might be older 50 year aftermarket, too. Hard to tell.

jw hash 02-12-2018 10:42 PM

it is a two piece splash apron, the nose part is part of the fender . unlike the 28-29 or late 30- 31 that are one piece from front to back.

barnstuf 02-14-2018 04:45 PM

If the running board and splash apron are one piece they are original. All of the replacement ones I have seen are tack welded.

As to the metal trim it was on all four sides of the running board. The long trim piece next to the splash apron is the piece I believe is not made today. It was bolted to the running board with flat headed bolts and the rubber mat slid into place over the bolt heads in a slot like manner. The other three metal trim are not unique.

When I redid the running boards on my early 1930 about 15 years ago one vendor offered the original style trim for all sides of the running board.

Hopefully you have the original trim and can restore the price not offered today.

kimeccles 02-15-2018 05:49 PM

barnstuf,

I was directed to Bob Burdick who makes the full zinc set like original as you describe. I did keep my old ones for reference, or future restoration. I don't have the right little bolts or things and still waiting on the mats. I know my fenders are real tight already so I think I will have problems getting these inserts in there.

Nothing has ever worked yet...without modifications or the patience of Job.