The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring small parts can be fun too (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190616)

Scott H in Wheaton 03-01-2016 09:57 PM

Restoring small parts can be fun too

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes I get just as much enjoyment from cleaning up the little bits and pieces as I do from getting the big jobs done.

This accel pedal was grimy and rusty.
A little degreasing,
Followed by a medium-to-fine wire wheel
Then 3 days in my bucket o' vinegar...
Total time spent, maybe an hour?
I like that it has the original metal finish and is not textured by sandblasting.
Plus I didn't want grit in the tube that rotates on the cross bar.

Attachment 260599

grumpys hot rods 03-02-2016 09:14 AM

Re: Restoring small parts can be fun too

Nice Job! I'm geting ready to do a pedel also. I will do it the same way.
Thanks for posting.

Barry-ct 03-02-2016 11:57 AM

My truck, which I've owned since 1986, has been SLOWLY worked on since that time ( kids, house, medical, etc.. ) and I basically have done the same. Take the best candidate and cleaned, primed and repainted it. Let it dry for a while, then put it away in a plastic bag or newspaper. I am putting it together slowly as time and funds permit. I have 2 tall parts bins like in the dealerships packed with done parts. May I live long enough to assemble and drive it!

Ken Crans 03-02-2016 07:02 PM

Looks good Scott!,Barry,If i lived down the road, i would be over there getting your truck done! LOL Ken

RalphM 03-02-2016 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Every small thing you finish adds up to a finished vehicle. That's how I did mine.

Barry-ct 03-02-2016 08:47 PM

Ken- My wife wants it done too! I have the sub frame for the bed in a large crate in her side of the garage and she did not get to park in there this winter, even though I "promised" she would. My side business of buying and selling lawn tractors is getting in the way of working on the truck! The season is starting again and I have 6-7 tractors to repair to sell. It wasn't supposed to take over my life, but it's the only source of $$ for the truck. Life is never perfect!!

39portlander 03-03-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry-ct (Post 1251746)
Ken- My wife wants it done too! I have the sub frame for the bed in a large crate in her side of the garage and she did not get to park in there this winter, even though I "promised" she would. My side business of buying and selling lawn tractors is getting in the way of working on the truck! The season is starting again and I have 6-7 tractors to repair to sell. It wasn't supposed to take over my life, but it's the only source of $$ for the truck. Life is never perfect!!

That is funny Barry, I just got my P/U bed together and the bed wood was stored on saw horses in the basement while I waited for paint.

My wife kept reminding me that it was "on her side", she has been good about this whole project but I get the evil eye about the hood being NEAR the washer/dryer. This spring it will be gone, I promise:rolleyes:.

Scott I have a soda master attachment on my TP blaster for those small parts and that leaves no texture or pitting, looks good. Scott

Scott H in Wheaton 03-03-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39portlander (Post 1252301)
Scott I have a soda master attachment on my TP blaster for those small parts and that leaves no texture or pitting, looks good. Scott

I used to have a TP Blasting cabinet in my Mustang shop, sold it with the business 12 yrs ago. That cabinet worked very well! Now I'm working out of a 2 car garage and space is very tight.

Ken Bull 03-03-2016 07:52 PM

Ahh the memories of all the small restored parts hanging on my barn walls. So HAPPY the car is together again

jerseyboy 03-04-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry-ct (Post 1251487)
My truck, which I've owned since 1986, has been SLOWLY worked on since that time ( kids, house, medical, etc.. ) and I basically have done the same. Take the best candidate and cleaned, primed and repainted it. Let it dry for a while, then put it away in a plastic bag or newspaper. I am putting it together slowly as time and funds permit. I have 2 tall parts bins like in the dealerships packed with done parts. May I live long enough to assemble and drive it!

Barry,
I feel your pain. I have been working on my wagon since 2006. I work on it as time and money permit. My wife does not like all the rusty parts stacked in the basement!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!