The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Borg-Warner Overdrive (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266055)

Admiral 07-08-2019 09:59 PM

Borg-Warner Overdrive

I recently acquired a 1951 Crestliner for my next project (photos here if you're interested: https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266026). The gentleman that sold it to me threw in a bunch of extra parts and pieces including a three-speed side-loader transmission bolted to a Borg-Warner R10 overdrive. This assembly came out of his 1957 Ranchero. Any idea if this transmission and overdrive assembly fit in a '51 Ford sedan? I've tried searching online but have had zero luck finding any relevant info. It looks like the Borg-Warner overdrive comes in different lengths but, again, I'm not certain.

Presently, the car is not equipped with overdrive, but I absolutely want to install it during the build for enhanced drivability.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Mac VP 07-09-2019 05:35 AM

Re: Borg-Warner Overdrive

I’d try to locate the correct version for your 51 Ford. The 57 Ford passenger OD trans is longer, which in itself would require a new or modified driveshaft. The front of the trans would bolt up to your bell housing, and the 1” ten spline input shaft would fit your clutch.....however, the transmission lacks the unique gear shifter housing with the typical 49-51 Ford clutch release mounting boss. The shifter levers are different as well.

The transmission might have some core value if the OD guts are in good shape.

Admiral 07-09-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac VP (Post 1775485)
I’d try to locate the correct version for your 51 Ford. The 57 Ford passenger OD trans is longer, which in itself would require a new or modified driveshaft. The front of the trans would bolt up to your bell housing, and the 1” ten spline input shaft would fit your clutch.....however, the transmission lacks the unique gear shifter housing with the typical 49-51 Ford clutch release mounting boss. The shifter levers are different as well.

Thanks for the info, Mac! When it's time to get new transmission parts I'll be giving you a call.

Is the 1951 overdrive transmission -- I mean the transmission itself, not the Borg-Warner stuff -- the same as in the '49 and '50 Fords or is '51 unique?

transbytip 07-09-2019 11:15 PM

Admiral,a big diff. is the nub for clutch linkage on side case is located lower on the 51 also the gears are cut diff.on51 also the 51 does not have the elect.rev.lockout sw.I have both O.D.trannys for sale Cliff.e-mail [email protected]

Greg58 07-10-2019 07:41 PM

I installed a 51 od trans in my 50 last year, everything but the mount is the same. If you use a 49-50 trans you'll need the cross member or do as I did and modify a new mount to fit. I didn't have a problem with the nub, the clutch arm mounted right up.

51504bat 07-10-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac VP (Post 1775485)

If it is from a '57 it should be 12 volt which would make the solenoid etc desirable to someone who is running a 12 volt system in a 6 volt car.

Ol' Ron 07-11-2019 12:55 PM

I think the 57 trans is a T 85 with much stronger gears ans the oD has 4 plantiary gears. Had one of these in a 56 with a 342 Merc engine and Clay Smith cam. Never broke it.