The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shock adsorber hints brake-rods! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263391)

Werner 05-14-2019 04:47 PM

Shock adsorber hints brake-rods!

1 Attachment(s)
Hallo und guten Abend.

At the inspection today, I found out that the rear brake connecting rods hit the shock absorber housing during compression. And get crooked. The dampers are new from Stipes. The leaf spring is also new.

Did I do something wrong?

Tacoma Bob 05-14-2019 04:55 PM

Re: Shock adsorber hints brake-rods!

How many leaves on your new spring Werner? What shocks were on the car prior to your new Stipe shocks?

Synchro909 05-14-2019 05:28 PM

My first thought was that you might have the actuating levers on the wrong way, resulting in the brake rod being too far away from the backing plate. Others may comfirm or debunk that but as I said, just my first guess.

jw hash 05-14-2019 05:42 PM

my guess is with Synchro909, we had one of our members had his service brake arms on backwards. it had been that way for a long time. and it bent the brake rods.

BillCNC 05-14-2019 05:53 PM

Arm's are on backward's, ... your not alone, Iv'e been there before. :o

Regards
Bill

Jim Mason 05-14-2019 05:56 PM

From the standards.

With the introduction of the separate emergency brake system the service brake camshaft was lengthened requiring the levers to have an offset toward the wheels. These were used through 1929. In January 1930 the final version was introduced and the offset was increased by 1/4". This increase provided additional clearance between the brake rods and shock absorbers.

Werner 05-15-2019 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, that's a mistake I made myself. The two Camshaft Levers are mounted vertically wrong around the inside. Very bad because I shrunk and riveted the pins indissolubly. Winter time garage work!

As a compromise solution, I have now bent both brake rods evenly to stay clear of the dampers and set the brake rod length again.

Thanks for helping hints!

updraught 05-15-2019 11:09 PM

"As a compromise solution, I have now bent both brake rods evenly to stay clear of the dampers and set the brake rod length again."

You might want to test those brakes on the autobarn.

jw hash 05-16-2019 01:20 AM

remember the first thing that happens when you step on the brake. it will straighten the brake rod then activate the brake.

johnbuckley 05-16-2019 02:38 AM

Rods hitting dampers are a common problem if you enter the UK's Vintage Sports Car Club trials! - Pre 1940 cars are driven up well neigh impossible muddy steep stony tracks and fields . The rear passengers synchronise the bouncing to get extra weight onto any wheel that loses traction- all great fun but at extremes like that the dampers and brake rods almost inevitably make contact.

Werner 05-16-2019 04:54 AM

This hint of Jw Hash is important. Of course, I thought about it before I bent the brake rod line. But the force around the bars to stretch straight is very much higher than the force to operate the brake lever to the front.

After bending, I tried that: When step on the pedal, the brake lever immediately comes to the front. Only when the brake shoes are pressed to block and the pedal is trying with violence to go even further, you can see light straight stretches.

I adjusted the rear brake rods looser than those from the front.