The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need a Project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281399)

Dennis Pereira 05-21-2020 02:52 PM

Need a Project

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...127090684.html

Chris in WNC 05-21-2020 03:32 PM

Re: Need a Project

I do not need a project, but this looks like an excellent starting point for someone who does. My very patient wife has encouraged me not to take on another project unless I sell the '35. Price of this one is not too crazy based on what we can see in the photos. Wonder if the wood is as solid as it looks......

Jack Shaft 05-21-2020 03:40 PM

just down the street from me..pass,gotta finish what I have..

burner31 05-21-2020 03:59 PM

My mom lives in fair oaks, I moved to north highlands (right down the sreet) in the mid '70's, bailed on California in the '90's.
Looks too rough, would offer 2500, settle on 3K cash in todays crazy lock down enviroment.
But thats just me...and I would like to have it.

Steve in Denver 05-21-2020 04:50 PM

Looks like another one of those projects that will take lots of time and money and be worth half of what you have in it when you are done.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-21-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy (Post 1890358)
Looks like another one of those projects that will take lots of time and money and be worth half of what you have in it when you are done.

Is this a problem???

Bob Bidonde 05-23-2020 09:19 AM

Restoring a Model "A" needs to be a labor of love because it will cost more than it could be sold for. The equalizer is the value of having lots of fun restoring and using the car. In math:
Restoration Cost - Fun Value = Hopeful Sale Price

1928Mik 05-23-2020 09:24 AM

I agree with Burner51 on pricing. I love those cars, if I had the space I'd definitely consider it.

SteveB31 05-23-2020 09:28 AM

That is a steal. I sold two of those bodies last year, not assembled, for more then that price for each of them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-23-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1890927)
Restoring a Model "A" needs to be a labor of love because it will cost more than it could be sold for. The equalizer is the value of having lots of fun restoring and using the car. In math:
Restoration Cost - Fun Value = Hopeful Sale Price

I agree with you Bob 110%!!

The question I have wondered many times is why do some people always complain about having more $$ in their Model-A than they can get out of it? :rolleyes: Other people go to a dealership to buy a new vehicle every day knowing that 15 minutes after their purchase they likely cannot sell it for what they have invested. If we go to a restaurant to eat dinner tonite, the price we pay for our food will turn to 'waste' tomorrow! Definitely won't get our money back on that!! :eek: We buy underwear, socks, and other items that we won't be able to sell to get their money back, -so is it because someone is playing in a league they can't really afford to be in, -or something else that I am missing?? :confused: :o :confused:

Purdy Swoft 05-24-2020 10:15 AM

I've always done mine because I've planned to keep them . Never worried about resale .

Chris in WNC 05-24-2020 10:30 AM

if your only concern is resale value, you are an investor, not an enthusiast.
over the past 35 years, I have sold 3 antique vehicles at break-even or better prices (my biggest gain was about $1000 or less).
5 others were money losers but still boxcars full of fun.
still less expensive than golf or keeping a boat........

Jack Shaft 05-24-2020 10:54 AM

Investor? no,they are just cheap,cheap model a owners make up the majority of the enthusiasts,they will tell you enthusiasm doesn't cost a dime. There are those who pay good money and have projects like this one restored correctly,only problem with this one is its 'idiot' priced..no, the seller isn't an idiot,but the price is in the idiot range,it could easily fall into the hands of a hack.Thing I learned about a model a is they all look the same from the driver seat,Im not much for sitting around admiring how rare or different it is..

ronn 05-25-2020 10:31 AM

That is a steal. I sold two of those bodies last year, not assembled, for more then that price for each of them.

Bingo! you win the grand prize Johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

burner31 05-26-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purdy swoft (Post 1891361)
i've always done mine because i've planned to keep them . Never worried about resale .

hear, hear