The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bad Case of the White Smoke (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308456)

Ian Curtis 01-03-2022 09:36 PM

Bad Case of the White Smoke

My Pickup got a bad case of the magic white smoke, which I take to mean I have coolant burning somewhere. I have never had the head off, so I figured this would be a good excuse to do that. Got it off, the gasket wasn't obviously blown and I could not see any cracks in the block or the head. It's all back together now, and the smoking situation has not improved at all.

So, at this point I'm gonna grab a compression testing kit to see if the cylinders actually have a good seal. Assuming they do, how else can coolant get into the exhaust? If my head gasket job checks out, where should I look next?

chrs1961815 01-03-2022 11:00 PM

Re: Bad Case of the White Smoke

Pretty much the only way coolant gets into the exhaust is either a leak into the combustion chamber or a crack in the block. Since you couldn't find any of those, this is strange. How did the gasket look and what type was it?

How does it run? I'd say run a compression test.

Ian Curtis 01-04-2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 2091525)
Pretty much the only way coolant gets into the exhaust is either a leak into the combustion chamber or a crack in the block. Since you couldn't find any of those, this is strange. How did the gasket look and what type was it?

How does it run? I'd say run a compression test.

Well, all I can see is the deck, where I did not see anything. What I was theorizing (besides me being blind and not seeing a crack in the deck) is is there a potential crack between the water jacket and where the exhaust manifold mounts? That would be the only thing I could think I wouldn't be able to see with the head off.

It runs just fine. It really smokes an incredible amount, but there really isn't a perceptible coolant drop (running about 10 minutes), I assume its one of those things where it doesn't take a lot of antifreeze to start acting like a smoke generator.

Chuck Sea/Tac 01-04-2022 01:17 AM

I think you need to do the compression test, but the best way would be to pull the head again and borrow a block tester. The head, you can use a magnetic crack tester.

Jacksonlll 01-04-2022 07:40 AM

The coolant should find it's way into your oil pan. Should show high on the stick. Keep an eye on it.

Patrick L. 01-04-2022 08:19 AM

Is the radiator level dropping ? Is the lube oil turning milky ? Is one cylinder cleaner than the others ?

Waving a torch over all the surfaces, including the ports, will show a crack that can't be normally seen.

Keith True 01-04-2022 08:47 AM

If the muffler got loaded with coolant it can take a long time to burn off at idle or low load.Did you check the head with a machinests straight edge? Have you pressurized the radiator?

nkaminar 01-04-2022 09:35 PM

Ian, The coolant is getting into the combustion chamber or chambers or the exhaust manifold somewhere. Sometimes the cracks or gasket leak is really hard to locate. It took several tries for me to fix a head gasket leak. I bought the Best brand head gasket and used the KW copper spray gasket sealer. This finally fixed the leak.

It is important to follow the torque instructions including re-torquing.

There are several ways to find a crack. A die penetrant is one. You spray the die onto the surface and wipe it off. It seeps into any cracks. You then put a powder on which draws out the die. You can see the die best with a UV lamp. A second way is with a magnetic flux. Iron filings will gather at any cracks. A third way is to pressurize the block and look for leaks. Snyders sells a kit for this, see https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...8615&cat=41692. Or as Chuck said, (post #4) maybe you can borrow one.

I think you could use the block pressure test kit to test the head too by using bolts and nuts to attach the plate and a different fitting to pressurize it.

JKY 01-05-2022 12:17 PM

Take a peek into the radiator while it's running, you may see air bubbling in the water. That indicates a leak. Took me two tries with mine to get it fixed right. First time I didn't take the time it needed to torque it down properly using a composite gasket. I talked to Steve at Bert's, he changed me to a copper Best gasket and I took my time installing it and torquing it down. That did the job.

Also change the oil after you finish, you likely have water/antifreeze in the oil. One of the old timers here recommended an oil change with the gasket replacement, a 15 minute trip to warm the engine and another oil change right after that to get the water that was stuck in the valve galley out.

noboD 01-05-2022 05:29 PM

Did you reuse the head gasket. If so, you may have put the problem back where it was. Pull a spark plug wire and let it run. If white smoke slows up that's the cylinder with the issue.

Utopia Texas 01-05-2022 05:39 PM

Are you sure you don’t have bad piston rings and are burning oil?

Marshall V. Daut 01-05-2022 06:56 PM

Check your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage.
Marshall

BillCNC 01-06-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 2092066)
Are you sure you don’t have bad piston rings and are burning oil?

That's my thought, burning oil. Is it steam or smoke, does it disappear right away, or is it lingering?

Regards
Bill

Will N 01-06-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut (Post 2092087)
Check your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage.
Marshall

Hi Marshall, I've noticed that you often post a note like this, where you send a private message to the user. That's clearly your prerogative, and it is absolutely proper when private information is being exchanged. But the purpose of this message board is to share information. If the message isn't really private, and you have an insight into the problem of white smoke out the exhaust, wouldn't it be best if you shared you insight openly so the rest of us can benefit?

Jim Brierley 01-06-2022 12:28 PM

Water or coolant dissipates quickly so it is not often seen. Black smoke is fuel, white or light blue is usually oil. If oil, the plugs should show heavy carbon build-up.

McMimmcs 01-06-2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will N (Post 2092264)
Hi Marshall, I've noticed that you often post a note like this, where you send a private message to the user. That's clearly your prerogative, and it is absolutely proper when private information is being exchanged. But the purpose of this message board is to share information. If the message isn't really private, and you have an insight into the problem of white smoke out the exhaust, wouldn't it be best if you shared you insight openly so the rest of us can benefit?

I have expressed the same opinion more than once. This is a forum to expand knowledge for many Model A enthusiasts, not just one. Wayne

aermotor 01-06-2022 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 2092256)
That's my thought, burning oil. Is it steam or smoke, does it disappear right away, or is it lingering?

Regards
Bill

Run it with a white handkerchief rubber banded over the tail pipe and you will be able to tell if oil or water.

John

Gene F 01-06-2022 07:00 PM

I think Snyders quit selling those.

Gary WA 01-06-2022 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Curtis (Post 2091511)
My Pickup got a bad case of the magic white smoke, which I take to mean I have coolant burning somewhere. I have never had the head off, so I figured this would be a good excuse to do that. Got it off, the gasket wasn't obviously blown and I could not see any cracks in the block or the head. It's all back together now, and the smoking situation has not improved at all.

So, at this point I'm gonna grab a compression testing kit to see if the cylinders actually have a good seal. Assuming they do, how else can coolant get into the exhaust? If my head gasket job checks out, where should I look next?

Ian any status on motor?

doug.nichols 01-06-2022 09:10 PM

I really like that idea...