The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   T-5 transmission (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201656)

marko 07-31-2016 12:46 PM

T-5 transmission

Have a ford f1 1950 w/T-5 transmission.

Everything was shifting fine for the last 3 summers. Today, after shifting into 4th gear I went to put it into 5th gear and the best way to describe it is.. the shifter arm had a lot of play.. couldn't find 5th. In fact I can't find any gears. it just moves all over the place.

where do I start? the clutch works just find. press it down and it engages, just can't find any gears.... HELP

RalphM 07-31-2016 01:37 PM

Re: T-5 transmission

May have broken the end of the shift lever. I'd pull that first.

JSeery 07-31-2016 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree, sounds like something in the shift linkage. Which T5 do you have, the early S10 type I'm assuming? Does it have the stock/original shifter or an aftermarket shifter?

I'll get some better photos, but to give you a general idea, the first photo is with the cover off and turned upside down. The shifting forks are controlled by the rod sticking out the bottom of the cover in the photo.

The second photo shows the square housing on the tailshaft that the shifting rod goes into. The rod is connected to the gold colored block with a roll pin. The shifter moves this block around (the spring and ball detent moves to the different positions in the bottom of the square housing) to get to the different shift positions. The roll pin may have come out of the block.

marko 07-31-2016 02:04 PM

Jserry
I was told when I bought the truck that the t5 was from the early 80's. Transmission are a whole different beast to me. I'm gonna have to outsource this problem to a local shop. I can only hope it's not to expensive.

JSeery 07-31-2016 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an additional photo with the shifter block in place and a punch being used to drive the roll pin out. The plastic piece near the bottom of the photo is where the shifter sits (there is a round ball on the end of the shifter handle).

JSeery 07-31-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko (Post 1332125)
Jserry
I was told when I bought the truck that the t5 was from the early 80's. Transmission are a whole different beast to me. I'm gonna have to outsource this problem to a local shop. I can only hope it's not to expensive.

Gotcha, but if you want to do a quick check all you need to do is remove the four bolts that hold the shifter on. Lift it off and take a quick look inside and see if it is just the pin missing on the shifting block.

Goes the shifter feel loose in your hand like it is just floating around or does it feel like it is moving the gears (like normal) but nothing is happening?

marko 07-31-2016 02:24 PM

jseery
like it is just floating around. .

JSeery 07-31-2016 02:26 PM

Then I would guess it is either the shifter itself or the pin in the block in the photo above.

marko 07-31-2016 02:29 PM

Thanks Jserry for your time & pictures. I kinda see how this thing is working ( or not working in my case) Will have a up date when I can.

thanks again appreciate it very much

my4dv8 07-31-2016 02:29 PM

Less than 5 minutes job. Just don't loose the bolts as they are metric.

JSeery 07-31-2016 02:34 PM

Only caution I would add is be careful to not drop dirt or other debris into the shifter housing when you open it up. That is about the only concern, fairly simple and straight forward to check.

Mike in AZ 07-31-2016 06:23 PM

marko, where are you located?...might be a 'Barner close by who can give you a hand....good luck....Mike

marko 07-31-2016 07:06 PM

mike
I'm in Michigan... livonia

hb32 07-31-2016 07:11 PM

Had the exact thing happen to me and it was the c clip that holds the 5th gear on, worked its way out of the groove in the shaft, allowing the gear to slide back.
Reread your post and see its all gears....

41ford1 07-31-2016 07:19 PM

The shifter cover/housing may have just come loose. I had that problem in a 4 speed Pinto ,a '96 Firebird 5 speed and on the way to Bonneville with TomT. All 3 times these were fixed on the road. Pull the floor plate and check that the shifter is still attached to the trans.

V8COOPMAN 07-31-2016 09:13 PM

Almost has to be the pin has fallen-out (although they're usually tight as hell) or the bottom of the shifter broke-off where it fits into the bushing (hole). Those are about the only two things common to NO gears shifting. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...1&d=1469992465