The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   where to puchase quality clutch parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265603)

FrankWest 06-28-2019 05:48 PM

where to puchase quality clutch parts

Who sells quality clutch parts for 1933 model b? I know Mac;s sells them, but?

tubman 06-28-2019 06:01 PM

Re: where to puchase quality clutch parts

The first place I'd check is Fort Wayne clutch. If they don't have what you want, they can probably rebuild your old stuff.

51504bat 06-28-2019 06:04 PM

My go to guy for 48 and earlier parts is Joe's Antique Auto in Uxbridge, MA. I'd check with either him or as already suggested Fort Wayne Clutch.

Angledrive 06-28-2019 06:28 PM

Fort Wayne Clutch

Krylon32 06-28-2019 09:33 PM

Another vote for Ft Wayne Clutch. Since I started sending my customers there problems have stopped. Talk to Leo.

swanwaco32 06-29-2019 06:40 AM

Be sure to check disc springs clearance to flywheel bolt head on any of them..!!

JM 35 Sedan 06-29-2019 07:19 AM

When working on my mostly original cars, my preference is sending the original clutch and pressure plate cores to Fort Wayne for rebuild. Typically, their cost for rebuilding is comparable to the cost of buying new, but the fit and function has always been better than the new parts available today. I think most of the new parts available from our parts suppliers today are coming from off shore sources (China).

Gene1949 06-29-2019 07:51 AM

My $.02
Just went thru installing a new clutch, flywheel and rebuilding the T-10. Old 3 finger pressure plate finally gave up after 25 years.

After many hours of internet time and phone calls to numerous "old school" rebuilders I finally went with Centerforce's dual friction diaphragm setup and flywheel. Lot of choices on the disc input shaft diameter and spline count. The Centerforce dual friction diaphragm clutches are very easy on old knees. Everything bolted right up with no issues. I've had the very same clutch behind my 396 in the Camaro for 15 years and that car has been run very hard at times. In the 49 it's all about reliability.

Centerforce's flywheel and clutch eliminated that nasty little vibration/harmonic I always had in that motor. Evidently the old wheel or pressure plate wasn't balanced all that well. Finding a reliable shop to surface and rebalance the old wheel just wasn't working out. Most had "issues" or just flat out weren't interested.

Jeg's had a promotion a while back (discounts and free drop shipping). If you have to send your clutch out to a rebuilder or ship a 30lb flywheel somewhere those costs add up very quickly.

Gene1949 06-29-2019 08:14 AM

BTW,
Ft Wayne wanted $300 for a "new" clutch WITHOUT shipping, from an unknown manufacturer.
I paid Jegs $330 for a modern clutch by Centerforce/Midway Industries based in Prescot, AZ founded and owned by legendary drag racer Bill Hays.
According to their presser all fabricated right there at the Prescot shop.

paul2748 06-29-2019 08:04 PM

I had Centerforce's Dual friction clutch in two cars, the oldest is now 15 or so years with zero problems