The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   hange in Evaoprust formulation? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295020)

JayJay 02-26-2021 12:57 PM

hange in Evaoprust formulation?

A question for you folks who use Evaporust:

I bought a couple of gallons maybe two years ago, and as I used it up I bought a couple more last fall. Well, I tapped into the new stuff today and noticed that it appears that the formulation has changed. Old stuff was light yellow and had a sweet smell. New stuff is clear, no odor and has bubbles when you pour it. I notice the label on the gallon container has changed slightly also. I have no reservations about using it (at least, until I see how well it works), but has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, the instructions say to use and reuse Evaporust until "it is no longer effective". At least with the old stuff, that seems to occur about the time the solution turns opaque black - not with sediment, but a dissolved color. Which leads me to believe that maybe the yellow is the dissolved active ingredient, and it has converted all of the active ingredient when the yellow is no longer present.

Thanks.

JayJay

Bill Cal. 02-26-2021 02:25 PM

Re: hange in Evaoprust formulation?

Please let us know how well the new stuff works. Thanks

Oldbluoval 02-26-2021 04:45 PM

Yeah every time I get something that works and I like.....
They change it, discontinue, sub to China or it’s declared harmful or illegal!
I’m the kiss of death with many products
Even food, clothing..... you name it!

nkaminar 02-26-2021 05:33 PM

Mine is used up but I am afraid to pour it into my septic tank, even though it says it is perfectly harmless. Cannot just dump it in the creek either. Cannot use it to start a fire as it is non flammable. Any suggestions?

Oldbluoval 02-26-2021 05:53 PM

It is biodegradable but what it’s picked up in use likely/possibly is not .
If it’s only been used for derust and not picked up grease or oil, I’d just pour it out
Not real sure about septic but would pour in a sewer system

Synchro909 02-26-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 1989774)
Yeah every time I get something that works and I like.....
They change it, discontinue, sub to China or it’s declared harmful or illegal!
I’m the kiss of death with many products
Even food, clothing..... you name it!

No, say it isn't so! You're not the kiss of death for this hobby, are you?

redmodelt 02-26-2021 06:50 PM

Grease and oil are the kiss of death to Evaporust. I don't think it would even absorb grease or oil, so would just be a shot of iron in the form of converted rust to those plants that like high iron soil.

JayJay 02-26-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1989817)
Grease and oil are the kiss of death to Evaporust. I don't think it would even absorb grease or oil, so would just be a shot of iron in the form of converted rust to those plants that like high iron soil.

I run my parts through carburetor parts cleaner or lacquer thinner, then wash with soap and water, before I put them into the Evaporust. I've found the Evaporust doesn't penetrate any grease or oil, it needs just clean rust.

JayJay

dennis lumbert 02-26-2021 08:21 PM

I just bought some evaporust a few weeks ago.Its a light yellow with no noticable smell to me.I used it to derust a zenith carb and it works very well.I let it soak a couple of days and the carb parts look like new.The used evaporust developed a foul smell but it sure did a good job. I'm happy. Dennis

Synchro909 02-26-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1989817)

To remove any oiliness from the cooling system before using something like this, drop a couple of dish washer tablets in there and go for a drive. I've seen laundry powder used but it foams up so much the engine may over heat. Not good!

Big hammer 02-26-2021 09:53 PM

Don't put the lid back on your container to store slightly used Evaporust, it kills it, I've put a hole in the cap with a short piece of vacuum hose to let the Evaporust breath. Mark the level and if it evaporates and water.

Oldbluoval 02-27-2021 07:50 AM

Synchro.....” No, say it isn't so! You're not the kiss of death for this hobby, are you?”

Never say never.... check the decline on car prices!

GeneBob 02-27-2021 04:01 PM

Old Blue, If you are the kiss of death for things, I want to thank you for getting into disco music, following the Kardshians and wearing pajamas in public.

Oldbluoval 02-28-2021 06:39 AM

I’m starting to take a liking to rap music!