The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   bell housing for flathead to T-5 transmission (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91793)

corn boy 12-13-2012 07:49 PM

bell housing for flathead to T-5 transmission

2 Attachment(s)
This is the truck "hogshead", stamped steel bellhousing, and starter plate.
3 pieces total. All in very good shape.

If you wanting to bolt a Chevy T-5 transmission behind a 8BA flathead this is most of the stuff you need.

If you read further down, a couple folks wrote about the Dwight Bond adapter plate that you need as well.

Pretty darn sure this is the correct starter plate. The pic makes it look angled but it isn't.

SOLD IT.

hardtimes 12-13-2012 08:39 PM

Re: bell housing for flathead to T-5 transmission

corn boy,
Hello! Are you aware of the 'swap' section of this forum? Might get better results there as it is the correct place for sale/trade/wanted items,eh! Good luck.

V8 Bob 12-13-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 552274)
corn boy,
Hello! Are you aware of the 'swap' section of this forum? Might get better results there as it is the correct place for sale/trade/wanted items,eh! Good luck.

Also, your starter plate is wrong, as it's angled, and ONLY goes with the '49-'51 Ford car stampted steel bell. :(:)

George/Maine 12-14-2012 09:50 AM

I have a 53 f100 3 speed flathead has like say 55 trans.
Can this bellhousing be used to go with t5 trans,and what may have to be done to use it.

rotorwrench 12-14-2012 02:36 PM

I'm sure the Ford Car type bellhousings from 49 to 53 can be used with a different adapter but most folks use the Hogs Head unit so they can still use the rotating equalizer type clutch release shaft with the old style fork. With this in mind, it just depends on what type of clutch actuation system works for your application.

V8 Bob 12-14-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George/Maine (Post 552542)
Can this bellhousing be used to go with t5 trans,and what may have to be done to use it.

The F-100 Lt. duty 3-speeds (not sure about the HD 3 speed) used the same B/W T-10 4-bolt pattern as the '49-'53 Ford cars, so any adaptor that fits them should work on your truck, as long as the inputs are the same length. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 552710)
I'm sure the Ford Car type bellhousings from 49 to 53 can be used with a different adapter but most folks use the Hogs Head unit so they can still use the rotating equalizer type clutch release shaft with the old style fork. With this in mind, it just depends on what type of clutch actuation system works for your application.

The one exception is the '51 Mercury full cast bell with the '40-'48 clutch cross shaft. :)

tiquer 12-14-2012 03:31 PM

The input shafts are different lengths . I believe the truck one being the longer of the two.The input shaft in the mustang T-5 is the right length but needs the s10 tail shaft housing swap done. the bottom two bolt holes line up also. The top two require some modes done to the truck bell.

Ol' Ron 12-14-2012 08:25 PM

made an adapter for a Mustang T-5 to bolt to a 49-53 ford and it should be 11/16 thick and the pilot shaft front bearing retainers are a different dia.

296 V8 12-14-2012 08:48 PM

A GM trans will not bolt to that .. go back to school

Walt Dupont--Me. 12-14-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George/Maine (Post 552542)

i've used that style hogs head a few times. It' the cheapest way to hook a T-5 to an older flathead. Dwight Bond make an aluminum adapter, it's only about one inch thick, bolts right to the back of the hogs head, 6 bolts, and the T-5 bolts right to the adapter, It come with a sleeve to go over the T-5 front bearing retainer for the old Ford thro out bearing to ride on. It also has a piece that screws on the side of the adapter for the older clutch and brake pedle to slide over. I think it's about $180.00 Someone on here has Dwights tel no. Walt

tiquer 12-14-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 552952)
made an adapter for a Mustang T-5 to bolt to a 49-53 ford and it should be 11/16 thick and the pilot shaft front bearing retainers are a different dia.

The truck bell has the rear engine mount ears also. If you used the steel 49-50 car bell the rear mounts could be an easier mod than trying to wield on the cast truck bell to change the top bolt pattern. Not saying that wielding cast can`t be done just that steel would be easier?? And Ron`s adapter sounds very cool.

tiquer 12-14-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 296 V8 (Post 552967)
A GM trans will not bolt to that .. go back to school

We are only saying the rear tailshaft housing will bolt to the mustang T-5, not the S-10 trans to the bell housing?

296 V8 12-15-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn boy (Post 552244)

If you wanting to bolt a Chevy T-5 transmission behind a 8BA flathead this is most of the stuff you need.

150.oo bucks plus shipping.

Please PM me if you are interested.

I was speaking to this

rotorwrench 12-15-2012 09:51 AM

Everyone that has used the truck back bell uses an adapter that is made to work with it. It is a commonly used part and is still a relatively inexpensive way to go if a person wants to put a T5 behind a flathead ford V8

http://www.wilcap.com/flathead.html

Ol' Ron 12-15-2012 10:50 AM

Any idea what the adapter cost for a 49-53 Ford passenger car to Ford T-5?? This is probably the easiest swap.

Richard in Florida 12-15-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 553212)
Any idea what the adapter costs for a 49-53 Ford passenger car to Ford T-5?? This is probably the easiest swap.

Oh boy, is it ever! Using the simple adapter plate Ol' Ron's talking about (he made one for me) and any T5 with a Ford bolt pattern and input shaft, you can...
• Use the stock flywheel
• Use the stock pressure plate
• Use the stock pilot bearing or bushing
• Use the stock throwout bearing
• Use the stock clutch linkage
• Adapt the stock rear mount (at least I did)
• Get a speedometer cable for $12 at AutoZone

All you have to buy are a clutch disk and a speedometer drive gear!

corn boy 12-15-2012 01:24 PM

Whoops, I ment to post it in the Swap section. Thanks for the heads up hardtimes.

hope 12-15-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard in Florida (Post 553245)
Oh boy, is it ever! Using the simple adapter plate Ol' Ron's talking about (he made one for me) and any T5 with a Ford bolt pattern and input shaft, you can...
• Use the stock flywheel
• Use the stock pressure plate
• Use the stock pilot bearing or bushing
• Use the stock throwout bearing
• Use the stock clutch linkage
• Adapt the stock rear mount (at least I did)
• Get a speedometer cable for $12 at AutoZone

All you have to buy are a clutch disk and a speedometer drive gear!

Just asking: I have a Ford T-5 i was saving in case my "kid blew" the one out of his Mustang a few years ago. How elaborate would it be to adapt to a 59 A block?

Ol' Ron 12-15-2012 03:49 PM

Just follow Richards instructions. IF someone makes the adapter, it's quite simple and we havent heard from wilcap yet. If they are seasonably priced I might buy one myself.

Richard in Florida 12-15-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hope (Post 553347)
Just asking: I have a Ford T-5 i was saving in case my "kid blew" the one out of his Mustang a few years ago. How elaborate would it be to adapt to a 59 A block?

Sorry, can't help you there. I've only done it with an 8BA.