The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ways to Start With Obstructed Hand Crank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274722)

Bob Bidonde 12-31-2019 11:16 AM

Ways to Start With Obstructed Hand Crank

2 Attachment(s)
I had to have a tool box between the front frame rails of my 190A because I do some out-of-state traveling each year. I chose the rectangular tool box because it holds more stuff than the the curved box.

Installing a tool box between the frame rails blocks access to hand-crank-start the engine. So given this disadvantage, and the starter fails to work, how could the engine be hand-cranked to start?

The tool box I speak of is attached to its mounting bracket with 4 screws, so it is removable. It's a good idea to use cage nuts or other captive type nuts to facilitate roadside removal. However it's a pain to empty my filled-to-the-brim tool box especially if the weather is inclement.

Another simple modification would be to add access holes through the tool box to accommodate a lengthened hand-crank. Plastic push-in caps would seal the holes in the box. This will be my solution because it minimizes the stuff I will need to take out of the tool box.

Kurt in NJ 12-31-2019 11:36 AM

Re: Ways to Start With Obstructed Hand Crank

Always park on hill

super flat 12-31-2019 12:41 PM

Put a piece of tubing all the way through your tool box and extend the hand crank.

Patrick L. 12-31-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1836541)
Always park on hill

LOL ! Just like owning an old Harley. :D

Kurt in NJ 12-31-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super flat (Post 1836560)
Put a piece of tubing all the way through your tool box and extend the hand crank.

This would work, get a V8 crank

Big hammer 12-31-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1836541)
Always park on hill

Push it to a hill ! 50 years ago I was pushing it a lot.

Charlie Stephens 12-31-2019 07:38 PM

Bob,

Your car looks great and I assume it has a good battery. I wouldn't expect a problem, and wouldn't waste my time preparing for a problem that might never occur. In rare case of a problem, look for a couple of friends for a push, or call AAA for a jump. Or remove the box on the road for that rare occurance.

Charlie Stephens

Ruth 12-31-2019 09:02 PM

Wow Bob! That is a BIG Bax. It appears you could just drill a hole in the back for the crank, remove all you stuff and crank the engine with the crank INSIDE the box!

jm29henry 12-31-2019 09:09 PM

Look at Snyder catalog they sell a special wrench it may help you

TerryH 12-31-2019 10:30 PM

I have had two A’s over a long time period and never needed or used a crank....

The Master Cylinder 01-01-2020 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm29henry (Post 1836708)
Look at Snyder catalog they sell a special wrench it may help you

I don't think I would try to start an engine with Snyder's "Special Wrench". :eek::eek:

cpf240 01-01-2020 03:30 AM

Carry a pull-start rope from a lawn mower. Wrap it around the crank pulley and give it a strong yank!

Purdy Swoft 01-01-2020 10:22 AM

I would prefer not to block the crank hole . My repro tool pouch holds everything that I feel that I might need and easily fits under the seat .

Jim/GA 01-01-2020 11:44 AM

I've seldom had a starting problem in the many years of driving a Model A. Twice, I think, in 30 years. Starter bendix jammed once, starter brushes wore out the other time.

In both cases I did a push start, popping the clutch with the transmission in 2nd gear, and the engine was running after the car was pushed about 10 feet. You enlist the aid of 2 or 3 people who gently push you and you pop the clutch. Off you go!

Much safer than hand cranking an engine that may kick back.

Purdy Swoft 01-01-2020 05:14 PM

If its a sedan, make sure that the friends push by the rear bumper instead of the rear body panels ! There is too much risk of bending when the car is pushed by the rear body panels .