The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Custom Wheels (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250113)

emf 08-23-2018 06:03 AM

Custom Wheels

1 Attachment(s)
I've decided to put a set of Coker's new radials on my new to me 54 Sunliner. Along with the radials, I thought I might look at some MILD custom wheels so I could have a set to drive and also keep the Firestone bias tires on the original wheels. Here is my problem, I don't want the car to look hot rodded. I just want a simple wheel to jazz it up a bit. Any suggestions? Photos would be appreciated. I want to put them on this car...

Daddio 08-23-2018 10:37 AM

Re: Custom Wheels

You'll be real happy with the improved ride and handling on the radials versus bias ply, if my experience on my TBird and Caddy is any indication.

miker98038 08-23-2018 11:37 AM

Nice car. Wheels are really in the eye of the beholder, like wide or pinner whitewalls. You might start over at Wheelsmith for ideas. The vintage and smoothie categories. The old standby in the mid fiftys would probably been different hubcaps. Lancers, flippers, moons or baby moons, trim rings. Up to you. Theres a social group here that might also have some ideas or pictures. Still got the 239?

http://www.thewheelsmith.net

dmsfrr 08-23-2018 11:39 AM

There's a fair amount of debate over who supplies the better tire, Coker or DiamondBack.
Of more than several conversations I've seen, DiamondBack has a fair number of converts from Coker. Whichever you choose an accommodating tire shop near you may be able to have the tires shipped in and save you some shipping cost.
https://dbtires.com/

Just to have pictures to look at...
Here's link to American Racing Wheels website, click the 'Browse by Vehicle' button and enter your year, make & model... select wheel size too.
I like their selection of 'old school' style wheels that don't look out of place on classic vehicles.
http://www.americanracing.com/

They have a 'Configurator' function I actually wanted to share that shows a generic image of your make/model/color vehicle with whichever wheel you select. BUT their image library doesn't seem to include '54 Sunliners. :(

Alaska Jim 08-23-2018 12:47 PM

to me , a set of chrome reverse wheels with baby moons is the mildest custom wheel, and was very common back in the day. I used to run a set on my '53 ford, and my '52 ford back in the late '60's and early '70's. I always thought they looked good on the '52-'54 body styles. just my opinion, and like has been said the beauty of any wheel is in the eye of the beholder.

emf 08-23-2018 12:54 PM

Thanks, guys, I went to American Racing and also discovered that their configurator was lacking. I usually get my tires from Universal Vintage Tire. Been doing business with them for over 30 years... I have the Coker radial on my Model A and it does make a difference. I was thinking of maybe a just beauty rings and chrome centers with chrome lugs, but I would like to see my choices before I buy...

Frank

dmsfrr 08-23-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emf (Post 1666625)
... but I would like to see my choices before I buy...
Frank

Try this... Do a google search for "1954 Sunliner images" and you'll get lots of photos. Most seem to have the stock wheel covers but some don't.
You might find a few you like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1366&bih=634

Automotive Stud 08-23-2018 02:11 PM

How about just a different set of hubcaps? If you don't like it or get tired of it, it's easy enough to swap them back or change them around. Any "custom wheel" will probably look more "hot rod." There's no shortage of cool hubcap choices from the '50's.

5851a 08-23-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automotive Stud (Post 1666638)
How about just a different set of hubcaps? If you don't like it or get tired of it, it's easy enough to swap them back or change them around. Any "custom wheel" will probably look more "hot rod." There's no shortage of cool hubcap choices from the '50's.

I like the 55/56 covers on 52 to 54's, similar but different, all polished up the are smooth, flashy and simple.

Ole Don 08-24-2018 06:31 PM

The American five spoke was introduced in 1956, so they are not out of place on a 54. I had them on my 55 and liked the look.
c

emf 08-24-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Don (Post 1667034)
The American five spoke was introduced in 1956, so they are not out of place on a 54. I had them on my 55 and liked the look.
c

I wouldn't guess you have a photo of them...

KULTULZ 08-25-2018 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by emf (Post 1667103)

I wouldn't guess you have a photo of them...

Here you go-

emf 08-25-2018 06:13 AM

Of all the wheels I looked at, those are the best looking. The price is very reasonable too. I'll have to give them serious consideration...

Frank

KULTULZ 08-25-2018 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1666624)

to me , a set of chrome reverse wheels with baby moons is the mildest custom wheel, and was very common back in the day.

Remember these-

Automotive Stud 08-25-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Don (Post 1667034)
c

I think they came out closer to '63. Regardless, they are a great looking wheel but I'm not sure they would look good on his convertible.

KULTULZ 08-25-2018 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Automotive Stud (Post 1667205)

... they are a great looking wheel but I'm not sure they would look good on his convertible.

Several choices but for this car these are needed (IMHO)...

emf 08-25-2018 02:08 PM

Now THAT I like.... What year ford are these from??

maybe 55 TBird?

emf 08-25-2018 02:23 PM

WOW! I just found a full set of 5 with clips on ebay for $425. They have the hubcap to go with them. That's as much as a set of new aluminum wheels....

dmsfrr 08-25-2018 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by emf (Post 1667278)
WOW! I just found a full set of 5 with clips on ebay for $425. They have the hubcap to go with them. That's as much as a set of new aluminum wheels....

If you think that price is high don't look at the new/re-pop ones, about $880 to $940 for a set of 5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emf (Post 1667275)
Now THAT I like.... What year ford are these from??
maybe 55 TBird?

Yes, optional wire style wheel covers for a '55 T-Bird. (even if it has a '56/'57 porthole top)
Center caps with a white background for the letters are from '56
Lots of folks don't like the original spring clips that hold the wire portion onto the wheel.

Daddio 08-25-2018 04:39 PM

There's also a rubber block that slides onto each of the spring clip, which is intended to prevent the trim rings from rattling and squeaking while under way.
I can tell you these rings are a bit of a PITA when checking air, especially (in the case of my '56 Bird) where the skirts have to be removed.

But it's really just a start-of-the-year PITA.