The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   fit splash shield/r.fender: help ! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199732)

hazelhoff 07-04-2016 08:50 AM

fit splash shield/r.fender: help !

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Somehow the fit between the splash shield and the rear fender is not OK. Tried Mac's repro fenders: not Ok; tried Original fenders, not OK. Whoever made this problem happen and how to resolve it ?

Henk (from Holland):mad:

k24556 07-04-2016 10:15 AM

Re: fit splash shield/r.fender: help !

I will have my splash shields and fenders back from soday blasting and etch priming. I will be fitting these parts on my 29a coupe in a few weeks, If I can help with a dimension, pm me and I will see if I can help, though I am very new to these old cars, I am doing a complete frame-off restoration, and all my parts are original and straight. The car had never been wrecked, so it will be easy to take good measurements, if they will help you.

Your body color looks nice, what color is it?

Glenn C. 07-04-2016 10:30 AM

None of the sheet metal components will ever fit correctly until you have established that you have a true and square frame, also with no sag in the area of the rear engine mounts. You must measure the frame from corner to corner to determine if the frame is square. The frame condition is your top priority now.

hazelhoff 07-04-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k24556 (Post 1318542)
I will have my splash shields and fenders back from soday blasting and etch priming. I will be fitting these parts on my 29a coupe in a few weeks, If I can help with a dimension, pm me and I will see if I can help, though I am very new to these old cars, I am doing a complete frame-off restoration, and all my parts are original and straight. The car had never been wrecked, so it will be easy to take good measurements, if they will help you.

Your body color looks nice, what color is it?

Thx for wanting to help ! This is a problem most barners must be familiar with. The green colour actually iS a Volvo left over. The blue colour is the 2K PPG Andalusite Blue I have askeD them to restore ......

Thx Henk

hazelhoff 07-04-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn C. (Post 1318551)
None of the sheet metal components will ever fit correctly until you have established that you have a true and square frame, also with no sag in the area of the rear engine mounts. You must measure the frame from corner to corner to determine if the frame is square. The frame condition is your top priority now.

The frame is Ok Glenn, thank you. It is just that the sheet metal, especially the repro splash shields need a lot of bending to adjust to the original fenders. Strange !! I read from the Jury Standards they were bent at the ends from the beginning, but I not even have a workable picture ....

Henk

Fordors 07-04-2016 10:50 AM

Henk, I have been around early Fords (V8's) for many years and I'll be the first to admit I do not know a lot about Model A's. With that being said I wonder if you are trying to fit '30-'31 fenders to '28-'29 splash shields? How wide is the cut out in the fender?

hazelhoff 07-04-2016 11:36 AM

Hi Fordors,

Actually this is the 2nd set of fenders. Original ones this time. I bought the splash shields from Mac's some 20 years ago. The bulb type as they should be. Straight ends. Everything should fit, but ...............
I am sure the parts are correct ! Why no snug fit between fender and splash apron ? The body surely has not grown any wider !

Henk

Fordors 07-04-2016 11:49 AM

Yes, I saw the bulb on the apron, that is why I thought you might be trying to fit the later fenders. Is the cut out in the fender only 3.81 cm (1.5 in) wide?

hazelhoff 07-04-2016 12:06 PM

Will have the body shopmcheck ! Thx

Henk