The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   engine shut down enrouote (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296222)

Clem Clement 03-22-2021 05:10 PM

engine shut down enrouote

First trip of the season to grab fresh gas in my39 Peekup I did a flameout pattern into a driveway. No spark.
Neighbor towed me home. Very nice! Turns out he has a 48 Studebaker pickup. Another neighbor has a Stude pickup

I get a spark if I put power from the negative terminal to the dissy top.

I'm guessing coil condenser is shot??

Clem

40cpe 03-22-2021 05:23 PM

Re: engine shut down enrouote

Resistor? Ignition switch? Bad connection? No power at the coil through the normal route?
Turn the ignition on, start at the coil and work back to the power source until you find voltage.

Clem Clement 03-23-2021 11:11 AM

Switch I rebuilt several years ago. IWill start with a switch test. thencapacitor. Coil is one of Skip's.

Thanks

drolston 03-23-2021 11:39 AM

Flameout pattern = fighter pilot?

Even if the condenser is a dead short if will not zero the voltage at the ignition switch source side of the distributor. Condenser is not your problem.

Clem Clement 03-24-2021 04:51 PM

Fixed. Wire fell off the ammeter. Thanks

Just talk. I flew many motors

drolston 03-24-2021 05:49 PM

Loose wire = not a big problem.
One flameout in many-motor, also not a problem.

Check six.

Clem Clement 04-01-2021 01:08 PM

In the old KB-50, I have lost one round motor and one stove pipe. Kept on going. Another flight they lost a jet engine (over water). The pilot did not notice until the fighter he was refueling remarked "hey, you lost an engine"

drolston 04-01-2021 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 2002724)
In the old KB-50, I have lost one round motor and one stove pipe. Kept on going. Another flight they lost a jet engine (over water). The pilot did not notice until the fighter he was refueling remarked "hey, you lost an engine"

Never hooked up to a KB-50, but here is me in and F-4 refueling from a KC-97 that had one engine feathered and one main gear stuck down (fortunately, on opposite sides). Air National Guard tanker pilot was not going to let that stop him from logging a successful mission. Dropped down to 15,000' and F-4's put their flaps down to fly slow enough to hook up.

Only a little off topic. We are still sort of on the subject of engine failure.

Clem Clement 04-02-2021 11:43 PM

Great photo. The KC-97 had the 2 jets added, correct? We could refuel the F-4 if we tobogganed down some.

petehoovie 04-02-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 2002890)
Never hooked up to a KB-50, but here is me in and F-4 refueling from a KC-97 that had one engine feathered and one main gear stuck down (fortunately, on opposite sides). Air National Guard tanker pilot was not going to let that stop him from logging a successful mission. Dropped down to 15,000' and F-4's put their flaps down to fly slow enough to hook up. Only a little off topic. We are still sort of on the subject of engine failure.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1617333743

mfirth 04-03-2021 06:39 AM

Drolston, Clem Clemmet, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE !!! One of you mentioned "round motor; when i was a kid, i was allowed to "take the yoke" in a Ford Tri-motor over Lake Erie. Love radial engines, never got a pilots licence. I admire any pilot.

4dFord/SC 04-03-2021 07:11 AM

My dad flew the civilian(Stratocruiser) version of the KC-97 for Northwest. Fortunately, he never had any gear problems or lost an engine. As he said, he made it a point never to take those trips. I do recall him saying that you had to watch the temperature on those big R-3350 engines.