The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Different take on seat belts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248122)

denis4x4 07-20-2018 03:27 PM

Different take on seat belts

Jumped in the Model A supercab truck to go to the grocery store, put on the seat belt and I was reminded that a number of posters here take the attitude that belts are worthless in an A. To some extent, I agree. However, the act of buckling a seat belt is a long time habit that should never be put aside. Why ignore that habit in a Model A when you would never forget to buckle up in a late model?

Synchro909 07-20-2018 06:29 PM

Re: Different take on seat belts

I'm afraid I don't agree with the notion that seat belts are useless in a Model A. As the law works here, we are perfectly legal to use the car with NO seatbelt because they weren't fitted when the car was made and well before they became compulsory. It is not legal to fit seat belts unless they pass a stringent examination by an automotive engineer. WTF!!! Fitting a belt to these cars so it will pass inspection is impossible. I've installed them the best way I can and use them even though they are not approved. I feel I and my passengers are safer with what I have fitted than without. I figure that almost ANY restraint is better than none and that those stupid regulations in fact, compromise our safety. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
Thoroughly agree with sticking with the habit of putting one on when I get into the car.

Pete 07-20-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1653545)
I'm afraid I don't agree with the notion that seat belts are useless in a Model A. As the law works here, we are perfectly legal to use the car with NO seatbelt because they weren't fitted when the car was made and well before they became compulsory. It is not legal to fit seat belts unless they pass a stringent examination by an automotive engineer. WTF!!! Fitting a belt to these cars so it will pass inspection is impossible. I've installed them the best way I can and use them even though they are not approved. I feel I and my passengers are safer with what I have fitted than without. I figure that almost ANY restraint is better than none and that those stupid regulations in fact, compromise our safety. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
Thoroughly agree with sticking with the habit of putting one on when I get into the car.

It is not difficult to meet approved engineering standards.
Quite another thing to meet a political engineer's standards.

mike657894 07-20-2018 11:38 PM

ive been in rollovers. it can happen at slow speeds. ill take the belt every time. especially if someone hits you at higher speed.

mike657894 07-20-2018 11:39 PM

Syncro in america there is over 10000 laws to follow. you get to break more than a few every day.

Synchro909 07-21-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike657894 (Post 1653639)
Syncro in america there is over 10000 laws to follow. you get to break more than a few every day.

Creating laws is what Politicians do. We gotta keep 'em busy!!
Guess it makes them feel like they have earned their money.:D:confused::rolleyes:

Cornishman 07-21-2018 02:47 AM

It’s a personal decision but I would never consider wearing an after market seatbelt in a Model A or any other old car with a separate chassis and body. At best wearing seat belts in a Model A gives the driver a false sense of security; me, I much prefer to drive without, with the knowledge that my Vintage car offers me no crash protection and needs to be driven accordingly. In my modern cars with their fantastic seat belt systems, air bags, crumple zones, collapsable steering columns, carefully designed steering wheels and soft facias it’s completely different. As I said, it’s a personal decision but everyone must understand that wearing a seat belt in an A might help in a few circumstances but is outright dangerous in many more.

Mike V. Florida 07-21-2018 03:40 AM

Who here has said that seat belts are useless in the A? Come on you have to be out there, fess up! Why would Denis say so if it's not true. Come on!

aermotor 07-21-2018 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornishman (Post 1653652)
It’s a personal decision but I would never consider wearing an after market seatbelt in a Model A or any other old car with a separate chassis and body. At best wearing seat belts in a Model A gives the driver a false sense of security; me, I much prefer to drive without, with the knowledge that my Vintage car offers me no crash protection and needs to be driven accordingly. In my modern cars with their fantastic seat belt systems, air bags, crumple zones, collapsable steering columns, carefully designed steering wheels and soft facias it’s completely different. As I said, it’s a personal decision but everyone must understand that wearing a seat belt in an A might help in a few circumstances but is outright dangerous in many more.

x2

John

Synchro909 07-21-2018 06:09 AM

When we drive any car we are playing the odds of being involved in a collision or not. In my opinion, it is just another game of odds as to whether a seat belt will help you or make things worse. It depends on the circumstances. I happen to belong to the school that believes they are more likely good than bad. Others may weigh things up differently but I'll keep wearing mine.

1928Mik 07-21-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornishman (Post 1653652)

X3..Well said!

DHZIEMAN 07-21-2018 09:38 AM

On these great vintage vehicles, "yes and no" on seatbelts is just up to the owner of the car!

Anteek29 07-21-2018 09:43 AM

Yep...the owner can choose seat belts, white walls or type of oil :)

redmodelt 07-21-2018 10:32 AM

I see seat belts in Model A's to keep you in place if the doors come open more then anything.

Kahuna 07-21-2018 12:26 PM

I like White Walls

ronn 07-21-2018 12:39 PM

Denis,
dont forget to put your seat belt on while driving your motorcycle............

denis4x4 07-21-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1653814)
Denis,
dont forget to put your seat belt on while driving your motorcycle............

I’m having difficulty finding sheet metal screws big enough to hold the seat belt anchors on the mufflers

Mike V. Florida 07-21-2018 11:20 PM

Please post a picture of a crash where the frame separated from the body.

Synchro909 07-22-2018 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1654022)
Please post a picture of a crash where the frame separated from the body.

There are PLENTY of photos showing badly wrecked cars from this era and I've yet to see a one where the body has separated from the chassis. Some old wives have been talking, I suspect.

Cornishman 07-22-2018 01:51 AM

I know, some people can only see it their way.