The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   oil pump shield (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108493)

glenn in camino 06-08-2013 09:04 PM

oil pump shield

Where can I get an oil pump shield for my full pressure B engine

pat in Santa Cruz 06-08-2013 09:18 PM

Re: oil pump shield

Snyders has it in their catalog listed as for a 31, but I think they fit a B engine as well. The pumps are the same size, even though the inside shaft differs

CarlG 06-08-2013 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snyders Part # A-6631

duke36 07-26-2020 09:03 PM

So has the shield been used successfully with the pre late 1931 oil pans by trimming the shield bottom ? It appears the oil pump holds it up to the block. If the gasket is used, where is it placed? Are any other mod's to the oil pump required ?

john charlton 07-27-2020 03:41 AM

No mods to the oil pump . No gasket required .Years ago in my innocents I fitted the shield from a "B" engine into a "A" engine with no apparent ill effects .I recently pulled the pan off this engine and removed the shield . No damage/buckling was found . Could be the shield was for an "A" engine anyway . Someone on the site must know the different skirt length between "A" and "B" hope they chime in .

John in light cool rainy morning in Suffolk County England .

john charlton 07-27-2020 04:43 AM

Thinking about it I now think the shield is the same and the detents for the dipper tray was dropped a bit when the shield was introduced I must check the "Service Bulletins"

John in same place same weather .

DBSHELTON 07-27-2020 04:50 AM

Model A Medic sells one that works with the standard Model A Dipper Tray. Easy fit. I have used several.

Benson 07-27-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1913492)
Thinking about it I now think the shield is the same and the detents for the dipper tray was dropped a bit when the shield was introduced I must check the "Service Bulletins"

John in same place same weather .

Yes John, page 576

The detent on the dipper tray was raised 1/8 inch, which lowers the tray itself.

Kinda sounds like they were worried about the shield hitting the tray maybe Huh?
I wonder if they found the shield hitting the tray and vibrating?

The bulletin also says NEVER INSTALL shield without the new tray.

denis4x4 07-27-2020 08:06 AM

PM me as I have an original one for sale from a B engine.

Benson 07-27-2020 08:48 AM

Surely Glen has found a shield in the last 7 years but I am not sure that a shield is needed on a B engine with pressurized rod bearings as the dipper tray has no dippers needing to pick up oil for rods.

katy 07-27-2020 09:58 AM

So what is that shield actually supposed to do?

duke36 07-27-2020 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBSHELTON (Post 1913493)
Model A Medic sells one that works with the standard Model A Dipper Tray. Easy fit. I have used several.

Where does the A6626 gasket go ? Against the oil pump or above shield to block, if that makes sense? Also, if ones installs the accessory valve cover oil filter, are there any adverse effects with the shield?

Tom Endy 07-27-2020 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached article about oil pump shield.

Tom Endy

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-27-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1913583)
Where does the A6626 gasket go

That is the Oil Pump Screen Cover Gasket. It goes between the metal Screen Cover and the A-6604 Oil Pump Body.

duke36 07-27-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1913615)
That is the Oil Pump Screen Cover Gasket. It goes between the metal Screen Cover and the A-6604 Oil Pump Body.

OK; Bratton's must be a typo if reading it wrong ? It says "on top of the
cover". No other gasket needed except the gear cover gasket on the bottom of the pump and nothing extra for the shield.
So the pump body is the only thing holding the shield up into the block, and trimming it to fit an older tray shouldn't be a problem unless the repro shields have folded metal bottoms. I haven't been able to understand from other threads whether there is an adverse reason if the tray should be lower in the pan other than for shield fitment and/ or it affects the splash system lowered an additional 1/8". Evidently the engineers didn't think so?

Jim Brierley 07-28-2020 11:54 AM

On a full-pressure system the most important thing is to baffle the oil so it doesn't run away from the pump on acceleration, deceleration or hard right turns. On some of my engines I don't even run the dipper tray, just baffles that I have installed in the pan itself.

Jack Shaft 07-28-2020 12:05 PM

glen passed last year..he doesn't need a shield..hopefully