The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SWAP Wanted warning (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132664)

HCO41 02-27-2014 09:11 AM

SWAP Wanted warning

As most of you know, I've been looking for a '49-e'50 Merc. dip stick. I have an ad in the 'wanted' section of the swap meet.
I had an email from a John Anderson, ([email protected]), offering me a dip stick for $200 which is about 1000% over fair price. (Fair price based on quote by one of our legitimate Barn participants). After turning down his proposal via email, he returned w/ "how much are you willing to pay". I told him of the above mentioned quote and didn't hear from him again.
Just for curiosity, I googled 'andersnautoshop' and found one site from the FEforum with a concern one of their members had with the same person. Make your own decision, but it doesn't seem right to me.
Howard

Planojc 02-27-2014 10:07 AM

Re: SWAP Wanted warning

Thanks for the heads up.

TJ 02-27-2014 10:12 AM

The scammers never go away.

ford38v8 02-27-2014 10:15 AM

Howard, While I agree that the guy is out of line, I also believe that he is well within his rights and can charge what the market will bear. I've seen things listed for sale at outrageous prices myself for very long periods of time, and have come to the conclusion that while very few will be suckered in, these listings do serve to drive the market for other legitimate offers.

Salesmen are a breed unto themselves, and must be seen as predators to be wary of. Don't misunderstand, many poeple sell things, but don't deserve the label of Salesman. It takes some market place experience to tell the difference between a Salesman and someone who respects his clients as he respects himself . One gains pure pleasure from the profit, while the other sleeps well in the knowledge that he provides products and services.

19Fordy 02-27-2014 10:18 AM

Howard, I wonder if a 49-51 Ford pick up truck dip stick will work?

HCO41 02-27-2014 11:14 AM

Alan, as I wrote in the last line of my post you certainly have a right to your opinion but I totally disagree with your premise that these people help the legitimate venders. In my 73 years, I have learned a little about buying and selling and have been ripped a few times. (Never-the-less, I sleep well). But, I don't believe we should stay mum when we recognize it! We have many new and younger people starting out in the hobby and bringing these things to their attention, in my view, is doing them a service. I assume you didn't search the name in my post. It is another suspicious example involving the same person. Here it is:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...rum+classified
P.S. "rights" and "privileges" are distinctly different!

HCO41 02-27-2014 11:21 AM

Hi 19Fordy, I don't believe the truck sticks are the same. I am basing this on a previous, well researched, post accessed via the following link. The only thing I found confusing is the different ways people measure the lengths. Some measure full length, some measure from the tube stop. Haven't figured out what the parts books reflect. Here goes:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19646&highlight=dip+stick+length
Howard

4tford 02-27-2014 11:55 AM

I don't see what there is to warn about. If his price is to high just don't buy.

Charlie ny 02-27-2014 12:17 PM

I agree with 4t. I think you gave the guy a good education however. I have a '49
Merc Flathead in my truck....I'll measure the dip stick and dig thru my stash and
see what I can match up.
Charlie ny

keith oh 02-27-2014 01:02 PM

Those rediculous prices give me a chuckle for the day.

ford38v8 02-27-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCO41 (Post 831860)
Alan, as I wrote in the last line of my post you certainly have a right to your opinion but I totally disagree with your premise that these people help the legitimate venders. ...

Howard, Don't put words in my mouth. Those creeps don't "help" legitimate vendors, they help themselves.
The spin-off occurs when someone happily pays a competitive price elsewhere.

FL&WVMIKE 02-27-2014 02:54 PM

We have a Jon Anderson, here on Fordbarn, but he is a high class guy and definately not a crook.
MIKE :) (mikeburch)

V8 Bob 02-27-2014 03:16 PM

Howard,
I've got a correct '49-'51 Mercury 8CM dip stick I'll sell. The overall length is just under 19 3/4", and has marks for; ADD 2 QT, 1 QT and FULL. PM me if you are interested. :)
Bob

ford38v8 02-27-2014 03:22 PM

Mike, let's be straight about labels. Being a Salesman doesn't automatically make someone a Crook. Nothing illegal about being a Salesman, and they do serve a legitimate function in society in spite of themselves.

Bruce Lancaster 02-27-2014 04:14 PM

Well, no need for a warning, I'd think. I'd consider a $200 dipstick to be an adequate warning!

Charlie Stephens 02-27-2014 05:16 PM

Capitalism is great. You can make a small unit profit on a large volume or a larger unit profit on a medium volume. In this case it will be zero profit on zero volume. I sure hope after all this bashing the guy didn't just accidentally put in an extra zero, did you ask?

Charlie Stephens

oj 02-27-2014 05:59 PM

There are predators and then there are salesmen.
As far as the stick goes I had a devil of a time to get one for a '48 F3, I even had different pans to try. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Jack E/NJ 02-27-2014 06:32 PM

ummmm? I googled an image of the original dipstick. The top parts that hang outside the sleeve look exactly like a lotta dipsticks I've seen over the years. Why can't you just make one that looks like an original? Can it be that hard? Am I missing something? Is this gonna be a show car where the dipstick will be pulled to check its originality?

Jack E/NJ

HCO41 02-27-2014 06:32 PM

First of all, this thread was meant to make people aware that this guy had attempted his tactics in more than one instance. I've seen similar warnings, cautions, alerts, (take your pick), on the Barn in the past and considered it a service to the members.
Alan, the word "help" was a paraphrase of your " these listings do serve to drive the market for other legitimate offers". As I said, I don't agree.
Alan, I read Mike's post and his use of the word "crook" was in reference to a gentleman with the same name as the subject of this thread. He in no way, called a salesman a crook. Talk about putting words into someone's mouth!
Charlie Stephens: The quote I got from a legitimate vender was $20 and that's what I offered when asked "what are you willing to pay". That was the end of our communication.
All in all, for those who took offense to this thread, tough! I had no intention of discussing the salesman's vocation and although I may have misinterpreted some verbage I haven't changed my mind as to its intent.
I will not make this same kind of mistake again!
Thanks to those who offered to help with the mission that started this. I'll be in touch.
Howard

HCO41 02-27-2014 06:39 PM

Jack, sure I could make one from scratch or modify an existing one. It has nothing to do with the car being a "show car", I just want to get the right one. It's out there and I have time before it will be needed. Just on this thread alone, there are two Barners offering their help. Just my way of doing things. Thanks,
Howard