The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model a parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236380)

michael a 01-01-2018 02:48 PM

Model a parts

I just can't get this through my thick head, just what makes a manifold made to put twin carburetors on worth 4 to $500 I think it's ridiculous and will not pay that for that small of a manifold.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

DougVieyra 01-01-2018 02:52 PM

Re: Model a parts

It is not a circumstance that is unique to the Ford Model A.
In the free and open marketplace, it is called "Supply and Demand".
And it some instances it is merely a matter of 'throwing mud against the wall - and seeing what sticks".
And too, there is the old adage, "There is a fool born every minute". There are still buyers for the Brooklyn Bridge.

nhusa 01-01-2018 05:38 PM

Broolyn bridge?
Is that still available?
I tried to buy it a few years ago and could only come up with $5.27
Someone else out bid me.
I need to try again!

Purdy Swoft 01-01-2018 06:13 PM

I don't recall seeing a dual carb manifold that was that expensive. I see that the Vortex dual updraft intake with two linkages now sells for around $330.00 . The one that I bought a few years agao from Charlie Yapp was less . I paid around six hundred for an old original cast iron Trojan dual updraft manifold that came with two rebuilt Zenith model A carbs , the fuel lines , a bag full of Zenith jets and parts plus the original linkage . I remember seeing Trojan manifolds in magazines when I was a teenager and had always wanted one for my model A .Trojan manifolds started showing up on eBay in the early two thousands and I would cheap out and get outbid when they sold for over three hundred for the bare manifold only .When the one that I now have came up I was hell bent and determined not to get out bid and I managed to prevail . Considering that I got the full setup plus parts , I feel that I did OK . The best dual updraft manifold that I have came from Steve Becker at Berts model A center . I bought this cast iron Uniflo manifold in 95 and it was made later in the 30s for use on the model B engine . The Uniflo has larger runners than my other manifolds and out performs them all . As far as price goes , I see that a finned aluminum dual downdraft intake manifold sells for $220.00 in Snyders catalog .It all depends on what a person wants and what they are willing to pay . I am happy with mine.

quickchange 01-01-2018 06:36 PM

We produce & sell a finned dual carb one for $195.00 , If you want picture then mail me , Freight should not be too expensive,

triumphleroy 01-01-2018 06:39 PM

Well I've got an awful thick head myself "BUT If A PERSON WANTS IT MORE POWER TO THEM! AT 75 YEARS OLD I KNOW THAT YOU CANT TAKE IT WITH YOU" ! The Money or the wanted Part But you can dang sure enjoy it while you are here! Believe Me I have more Wanted Stuff Than the Law Allows! Guess I should sell it all and stack up the cash for my heirs so they can buy Crap I wouldn't want anywhere near me?
There are plenty of people out in this old world that cant even figure out why anybody in their RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT AN MODEL A OR ANY OLD CAR FOR THAT MATTER

Purdy Swoft 01-01-2018 07:00 PM

Right on , Triumphleroy !!!!!!!

slammin 01-01-2018 10:21 PM

michael A,
I can appreciate your frustration. Most of the things I want are out of my budget as well. For instance, that 25 year old trophy wife, the upkeep would kill me, if she didn't! Happy new year!

Mike V. Florida 01-01-2018 11:15 PM

If people are willing to pay the price then it is worth that price.

DougVieyra 01-02-2018 12:54 AM

Slammin, post #8 -

Yes, you are most definitely right !

Remember the old adage: "Be careful what you wish for . . . . it MIGHT come true !"

Wick 01-03-2018 10:14 AM

The past Trophy wife is looking at us now because we are desirable $$$ But we can afford to take her grown Daughter out now!
Happy New Year