The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Newbie pulled the trigger! '31 Vicky now in my driveway! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233403)

BillEbob 11-15-2017 10:26 AM

Newbie pulled the trigger! '31 Vicky now in my driveway!

I did it!! Now the proud owner of a "brand new" '31 Vicky Leatherback! Purchased in Tucson now residing in Albuquerque, NM.

PO owned it for 25 years. A few items stick out. The ignition switch does not function. Turn on (off?) the battery kill switch and depress the starter and away she goes. (Ignition switch in 'off' position.)

A curiosity, PO replaced generator with alternator but kept it 6 volt, positive ground. I can foresee changing to 12 volt in the near future.

In a separate, by related topic, most EVERYONE around me questions my sanity about purchasing an "A!" The negativity has had me questioning my decision. Turns out -- who CARES what they think?! I'm having a blast driving this thing around!!

More to come!!

Bill

ModelAMike1930 11-15-2017 10:36 AM

Re: Newbie pulled the trigger! '31 Vicky now in my driveway!

Congratulations on your purchase.! I have 2 1930 model a's and enjoy driving them. My kids and g-kids love them. All the neighborhood kids stop in their tracks and wave with thumbs up when I drive through my neighborhood.

glenn in camino 11-15-2017 10:44 AM

Good purchase. The most fun car you'll ever have. Join a model A club. They will help you with any problems or questions you have about model As. This forum will also be helpful. Also, get Les Andrew's books to learn about how to work on your car. Good luck. Enjoy.

Tony Hillyard 11-15-2017 10:46 AM

The negative comments are usually based on jealousy and envy.

Anteek29 11-15-2017 11:58 AM

Congrats - You must be grinning ear to ear - even in your sleep!

Jim/GA 11-15-2017 12:19 PM

Great to hear!

The negative comments are because people do not really understand how reliable the Model A is, how many new, high quality parts are available for them, and that this car will cruise all day at 45 mph or more. They all think it is the slower cousin, the Model T.

They have never experienced the joy of driving a car that YOU actually have to drive, it is not a bunch of computers on wheels.

I am very excited for you. Do not be in a big rush to change out anything. Just drive it and get to know the car and it's peculiar issues. They each have their own personality.

Swap out the bad ignition switch, because that will work fine with any voltage or polarity. Go slow beyond that.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] for answers to your questions. I help new Model A owners out every day. I can recommend books and other resources.

And if you have never been a member of MAFCA before, you are eligible for your first year of membership for free. Email Jay McCord at [email protected]

1930artdeco 11-15-2017 12:51 PM

WooHooo! Congratulations! Of course this purchase did not happen without pictures:D.

Mike

tiretrx 11-15-2017 01:05 PM

Congrats! Now.........where's the pics, lol?????

davidlee1313 11-15-2017 01:27 PM

X2, I agree.

Bob-A 11-15-2017 01:28 PM

Good for you!;) I agree with Tony Hillyard and want to add "stupidity" to it.:p

Bob-!:D

jhowes 11-15-2017 01:32 PM

Listen to what Jim said, Swap out nothing (except a bad ign. switch) and drive it for awhile. The 6 volt system is fine, no need to swap it out for 12 volts. Many threads here on that issue. Have fun, Jack

slammin 11-15-2017 01:37 PM

Bill,
Welcome to the club. The Victoria is an excellent choice. Six weeks ago I bought my first A, a 29 Tudor. I wish I hadn't waited so long. Get to know the car before you make any changes. And where are those pictures?

Jacksonlll 11-15-2017 01:40 PM

You got the most interesting car out there. More history and fun with the A than any other car. Very unique. You will have a ball.

BillEbob 11-15-2017 02:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, okay everbody!! Here is my first attempt at uploading photos! (There HAS to be an easier way, anybody know of the easier way?)

All: I joined the "Pocos Quatros Model A Club" of Albuquerque, NM a couple months prior to pulling the trigger. I "tried on" various members' cars to learn what would work, and more importantly, what wouldn't!

I purchased both volumes of Les Andrews books long before buying the car. (Wanted to know what I was getting in to.)

No, no IMMEDIATE major changes -- just the ignition switch and the horn. Luckily Les Andrews goes into how to repair the horn.

Okay, here goes > > >

BillEbob 11-15-2017 02:21 PM

Will SOON be changing my Avatar!!!!

tiretrx 11-15-2017 02:49 PM

Pics came out great. It's a beauty, all the best with it!

ronn 11-15-2017 03:27 PM

Congrats! Vickis are one of my favorites, esp the leatherback.

Live Large.....................

Mike V. Florida 11-15-2017 04:32 PM

Now you only need to join the International Model A Victoria Association.

I hope you only have fun times with the car and drive it often.

c. sefton 11-15-2017 04:50 PM

Could you possibly have a pop out ignition switch that you need to push in to turn it off?

Big hammer 11-15-2017 04:56 PM

Congrats! Nice car! Good job with the pictures! Enjoy :-)