The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New guy! Many questions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249225)

davidGR 08-08-2018 08:28 AM

New guy! Many questions

7 Attachment(s)
Morning everyone.

I finally made the dive, drove up to Lansing and picked up a 1930 Model A Fordor. Older Restoration from a gentleman in Fruitport MI. It ran and I got to drive it. Apologies but I am going to have many questions. Some which may have been answered before so forgive me for that, but on the bright side I have noticed in all your posts that you guys love pictures so I took some in garage for your viewing pleasure, if anyone has any specific places I should snap pictures of let me know. I have Les Andrews books coming in the mail.

First: I think I have a dead battery, I think I left the head light switch on (they're broken so I didn't notice them being on) What the best way to charge this battery, I only have a 12v charger/ maintainer, do I need a 6v one? I'm going to get a new battery on the way home tonight from AutoZone, Are they the same size etc? Also did not come with a cranks so that was out. I like keeping my wrist intact.

Second: I have no shocks, I think the original owner may have took them off for another project, does anyone know if I need them? I will probably get them in the near future? I not a 100% original guy and have looked at the newer bolt on after market shocks, Thoughts

Third: No Headlights or parking lights, I opened the lenses and found the passenger side was smoked up on the inside and the drive was fine? I assume these things aren't run in series, so I would if its up in the switch, how does one get access to that?

Fourth: What are some immediate things I should check mechanically? Brakes stop it pretty well.

Fifth: I've always have had bad luck with clutches, how long does the Model A Clutch typically last, how can I check the status of the clutch etc?

And last, the question of price. I ended up paying 11,200.00 for this guy, good price? Going rate? did I get taken? your thoughts. I know typical answer is you paid for it so enjoy it but I just curious what you guys think.

If anyone's in Grand Rapids MI feel free to stop on by!

Thanks Guys

rfitzpatrick 08-08-2018 08:35 AM

Re: New guy! Many questions

I think you have a bargain !! Tho I will be watching for the information about the repairs you receive from this web-site.
I've a '31 Pickup, the enjoyment I like is making Hand-Signals when I drive --

ryanheacox 08-08-2018 09:02 AM

First: Yes, I would get a 6v charger/maintainer. Does your car have a fuse holder mounted on the starter switch? For the time being, you can pull the fuse to keep the battery from draining. I believe the battery size is Group 1 but I doubt AutoZone will have more than one 6v size.

Second: Are shocks completely necessary? No. Also, if your car is like many, the leaves in the springs probably don't slide against each other very well and will give a similar damping effect as shocks.

Third: What do you mean by smoked up? The light switch is at the base of the steering column. Release the wire bail that holds it in place and then it can be taken apart and inspected.

Fourth: Check all the fluids, do a grease job and make sure nothing sounds funny is all I can suggest. You can check out the points but if it's running well I'd leave well enough alone.

Fifth: I'd say the clutch should last quite a while given the type of driving most of us do.

From the pictures I'd say you got a good deal! Welcome to the FordBarn!

wmws 08-08-2018 09:10 AM

Congratulations. It looks like you got a nice looking car. The mechanicals are hard to tell from a distance.
To help with your questions it apears you have a 6 volt battery. So you need either a new 6 volt or a 6 volt charger. I would suggest getting a 6 volt smart trickle charger like a Battery Tender. They are not expensive and you may be able to save your old battery.
You can drive your car with no shocks but it will ride and handle better with them. Modern tube shocks work fine if you don’t mind the look and they are cheaper.
For your lights I would get a test light or multimeter and see if you have juice to the lights. The switch is at the bottom end of the steering column.
There are many things to check. The Les Andrews book will help you there.
If the clutch is working well it is probably fine. They will last a long time if not abused and kept in adjustment.
Join a local club. Other members will be a wealth of information and can advise on any problems that may come up.
Have fun and be safe.

Charlie Stephens 08-08-2018 10:08 AM

You pictures sure got you off on the right foot, thanks for taking the time to post them and welcome. If you end up buying a new battery (maybe your old one can be charged) be sure to not let the salesman sell you new cables that are designed for 12 volt cars. The 6 volt cables are a larger diameter. Get them from a place that knows what they are doing, like Bratton's. The clutch life should be the same as a modern car.

Charlie Stephens

Chuck Dempsey 08-08-2018 10:18 AM

Your new ride looks REALLY nice! Welcome to the Barn....

davidGR 08-08-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1660604)
First: Yes, I would get a 6v charger/maintainer. Does your car have a fuse holder mounted on the starter switch? For the time being, you can pull the fuse to keep the battery from draining. I believe the battery size is Group 1 but I doubt AutoZone will have more than one 6v size.

Second: Are shocks completely necessary? No. Also, if your car is like many, the leaves in the springs probably don't slide against each other very well and will give a similar damping effect as shocks.

Third: What do you mean by smoked up? The light switch is at the base of the steering column. Release the wire bail that holds it in place and then it can be taken apart and inspected.

Fourth: Check all the fluids, do a grease job and make sure nothing sounds funny is all I can suggest. You can check out the points but if it's running well I'd leave well enough alone.

Fifth: I'd say the clutch should last quite a while given the type of driving most of us do.

From the pictures I'd say you got a good deal! Welcome to the FordBarn!

By smoked I mean that the inside of the bulb was all blue and smokey.

Kahuna 08-08-2018 10:41 AM

I think you got a great deal

Brentwood Bob 08-08-2018 10:58 AM

Great car!
There should be a local model a club. Maybe a member can chime in and invite you to their next meeting. No substitute for learning about your car.
You may even avoid some expensive mistakes.
Google model a restorers club, or model a Ford restorers club to get the websites.

Jacksonlll 08-08-2018 11:12 AM

There is a wonderful Club in GR. Join them and all of your questions will be answered.
Grand A's 616-490-2739

Y-Blockhead 08-08-2018 11:20 AM

Love those 1930 Briggs Three Window Fordors (see Avatar). Looks like you may have a Town Sedan to boot (cowl lights, rear seat fold down center arm rest, etc.) Nice car.

Your car will ride and handle much better with good springs and proper shocks. And yes please install the fuse that mounts on the starter as someone mentioned.

Looks like you have a front bumper on the rear??

davidGR 08-08-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1660659)
Love those 1930 Briggs Three Window Fordors (see Avatar). Looks like you may have a Town Sedan to boot (cowl lights, rear seat fold down center arm rest, etc.) Nice car.

Your car will ride and handle much better with good springs and proper shocks. And yes please install the fuse that mounts on the starter as someone mentioned.

Is it a rear bumper? I'm new to the world and honestly couldn't tell the difference, it also came with a luggage trunk too! I just need to find the hardware.

As for the fuse it has one there and its not blown.

Also my emergency brake is a little wobbly, it stops the car good, but should it be like that, can I tighten some nuts to make that less wobbly?

Y-Blockhead 08-08-2018 11:38 AM

As mentioned, you need a Group 1 6v battery. Ensure you connect is correctly, positive to ground (unlike Moderns).

In picture #5, what is that hanging from the brake peddle? Some kind of return spring?

davidGR 08-08-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1660672)
As mentioned, you need a Group ! 6v battery. Ensure you connect is correctly, positive to ground (unlike Moderns).

In picture #5, what is that hanging from the brake peddle? Some kind of return spring?

I believe it is a return spring.

Y-Blockhead 08-08-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidGR (Post 1660669)
Is it a rear bumper? I'm new to the world and honestly couldn't tell the difference, it also came with a luggage trunk too! I just need to find the hardware.

The rear just has "bumperettes". The don't go all the way across. I guess Ford thought you wouldn't get rear ended back then. Not that a full bumper would do any good. haha

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1791/...ffe06197_z.jpg

ryanheacox 08-08-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidGR (Post 1660638)
By smoked I mean that the inside of the bulb was all blue and smokey.

Hmm, hopefully it's just as simple as needing new bulbs although many people have trouble with the headlight sockets. If you have no lights at all though I'd suspect bad grounds.

The headlight socket needs to ground to the headlight bucket then to the bar then to the fender/fender bracket then to the frame and finally back to the battery... that's a lot of joints to get corroded or painted over.

Ed in Maine 08-08-2018 12:44 PM

You made a good deal, it is a nice looking Town Sedan. I would strongly recommend you get shocks put on the car. You can get by without them but the handling is not good. When you go over a wash board road surface, the car starts to swim left and right and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see you could loose control. I purchased the new Stipe shocks that look close like the originals. They are expensive (about $250.00 each) but they do work very good (are adjustable) and in my opinion you will get your money back on resale. Good luck and have fun, Ed

oldman - NorCal 08-08-2018 12:50 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. Based on the few photos, I would believe you got a good price on a desirable Fordor or Town Sedan model and assuming that it runs as good as it looks. Like most of us you will find plenty of things to spend money on in the old car hobby but, it doesn't look like body work, paint, or upholstery is on the list. Good Luck...

CHuDWah 08-08-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1660659)

Off-topic, but it's interesting that Three Window Fordor counts only the windows on one side while Three Window Coupe counts both side windows and the rear window. :confused:

1930artdeco 08-08-2018 01:00 PM

Welcome to the club David,

Here is what I see, You have a Standard fordor the someone has added cowl lights to or as an option originally. If you look at the window garnish just below the door pulls and above the handle you will see one spike. A town sedan will have two little spikes. Like Blockhead said if it has a rear seat fold down armrest and light above the rear window then it is a townsedan.

Also, sis you check the wood in the body? The whole car is wood and can be really expensive to replace.

I would honestly replace all of the wiring and make sure you have a good solid ground!

I would pull the brake drums off and see what you have going on in there. Do you have cast iron drums or the old steel ones? If the latter junk them and get new ones.

Mike