The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stuck oil Pan (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255343)

davehc 11-27-2018 02:15 PM

Stuck oil Pan

Guys , I need some ideas on how to get my oil pan to drop down . trying to remove it , but I think I put too much gasket sealer on it last time , [ but I didn't have any leaks ] , now I cant get it loose . trying not to do any damage to the block . Cant find anything in a search . Watch ya got ?:confused: Forgot to add that engine is still in car .

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-27-2018 02:28 PM

Re: Stuck oil Pan

Plastic or wooden wedges placed in several locations around the pan will likely free it up. Wooden wedges can be made on a bandsaw out of hardwood scraps.

Fullraceflathead 11-27-2018 03:38 PM

Try some Heat with a propane torch.

Synchro909 11-27-2018 03:40 PM

Sounds like you will destroy the gasket by the time you get it off. Don't worry about that - they are cheap. Just scrape the surfaces clean and use your sealer on one side only when you reinstall. Brent's suggestion is good but my advice is to use several wedges and work your way around them in turn so you don't distort the sump.

J Franklin 11-27-2018 05:17 PM

A putty knife works nicely to unseal a gasket.

loubob 11-27-2018 05:24 PM

Putty knife & hammer.
Use Permatex #2 Non Hardening Form-A-Gasket Sealant on new gasket.

Jacksonlll 11-27-2018 06:24 PM

Just for kicks, double check that all the bolts are out. It can happen.
I think some putty knives should work also. Good luck.

davehc 11-27-2018 06:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys , I knew this was the place to go . All good ideas , this pan is coming down now . I like the wedges and putty knife ideas . I think I had a senior moment today when I was trying this , hate it when that happens .

katy 11-28-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

how to get my oil pan to drop down . trying to remove it , but I think I put too much gasket sealer on it last time
Old (pilot's) motto: Learn by the mistakes of others as you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Farrell In Vancouver 11-28-2018 12:39 PM

Try an Olfa Knife (Box Cutter)

Roger V 11-28-2018 08:42 PM

Had this happen on a coupe I bought. Tried all of the ideas to no avail. Ended up a lady tool & die maker from the west coast who was on the barn years ago (don't recall her name or avatar) told me to cut off a putty knife blade as the handle wouldn't fit between the pan and the frame rails. That gave me enough room to slightly swing the side of a hammer against it. It worked a few inches at a time and I got the pan off. Whatever a PO used was black and hard.

Purdy Swoft 11-28-2018 09:57 PM

The lady tool and die maker may have been Carla .

Roger V 11-29-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1700589)
The lady tool and die maker may have been Carla .

You're right, thanks!

Mike V. Florida 11-29-2018 10:38 PM

Heating with a heat gun would be my suggestion.

ursus 11-30-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1700130)
Plastic or wooden wedges placed in several locations around the pan will likely free it up. Wooden wedges can be made on a bandsaw out of hardwood scraps.

Why not save your fingers and simply buy a small bundle of the hardwood wedges sold at Home Depot, et al, that are used to level up door and window frames. Usually 1.5 X 6 inches and 3/8 inch tapering down to a blade edge and cost a few bucks for 10 wedges. Perfect for the job and I have also used them to pry loose a coupe body that was stuck to the frame.

Tom Wesenberg 11-30-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1700971)
Why not save your fingers and simply buy a small bundle of the hardwood wedges sold at Home Depot, et al, that are used to level up door and window frames. Usually 1.5 X 6 inches and 3/8 inch tapering down to a blade edge and cost a few bucks for 10 wedges. Perfect for the job and I have also used them to pry loose a coupe body that was stuck to the frame.

I agree, and even better, now you can buy plastic wedges.