The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sooty, black plugs ??????? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267622)

lotsagas4u 08-09-2019 02:34 PM

Sooty, black plugs ???????

Have a 36 LB engine that's easy to start first thing{warm weather}, drive it awhile, 10 miles or so, its harder to start. I have tried several plug variants, ngk ab-6, autolite 386, gap 0.25, it fouls them all. Have a newly rebuilt, max 97, charlie tested, fuel pump, and a skip haney coil/set distributor. Engine runs well, drive it 45 to 55 mph tops. It runs around 190 all the time. I use no corn gas, and yes its fresh, any thoughts here? Thank you:D

Kurt in NJ 08-09-2019 02:50 PM

Re: Sooty, black plugs ???????

Corn gas will make it leaner

lotsagas4u 08-09-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1786119)
Corn gas will make it leaner

I haven't tried that, thanks for reply

koates 08-09-2019 09:12 PM

Corn gas will give you grief. DONT use it. Fit a vacuum gauge to your intake manifold and compare the gauge readings with a chart. What size jets are in the carb? Check that the float level is correct. Make sure air filter is not restricted. Regards, Kevin.

Mart 08-10-2019 04:54 AM

Surely it's just running over rich for some reason? Starts easily. That's because it's over rich. Like having the choke on.

I've never ran a 97. What are the common causes of over richness on a 97? Float? needle valve? That's where I'd be looking.

Mart.

alanwoodieman 08-10-2019 07:08 AM

you have a leak in the internals of the carb. remove carb, fill with gas thru the vent tube and let stand on a cloth or paper towel and see if the gas is going thru while it is sitting. next change to a smaller jet. I have tried the speedway adjustable jets for multi-carb set ups and they have worked out great. either way you are getting way too much gas and as Mart says check the settings on the carb

john in illinois 08-10-2019 07:49 AM

Check to make sure your air filter in not restricting. Some of the small air cleaners do not flow enough air. You could check by removing filter and see if it helps.

John

deuce_roadster 08-10-2019 08:07 AM

I agree with John in Illinois. Clean the plugs, take the air cleaner off and see if it runs better. I had to ditch a pair of air cleaners on my avatar roadster that looked cool but were operating like a choke.
While the air cleaner is off, visually verify that the choke is coming all the way off.

Charlie ny 08-10-2019 08:09 AM

Good ideas from everyone....John's thought is often overlooked, been there myself.
An internal leak on Stromberg is usually the mechanically operated power valve.

Whether new or used these babies can leak. The leak occurs when the motor is running and producing vacuum drawing fuel from the acc pump well out thru the J tubes when not needed. Uncle Max is THEE guy however and let's get the real scoop from him.
Charlie ny

lotsagas4u 08-10-2019 10:37 AM

I have a original, 34 air cleaner on this carb, the kind with the copper screen, you wash with solvent, then oil. I do not have the horse hair top piece in the air cleaner. thanks to all for the reply's.

felix37 08-14-2019 07:36 AM

I agree with John as well. There was a slew of Chinese import air filters that Speedway and several of the other speedshops including the one I used to work for were having issues with. they were produced with an inferior filter element and wouldn't allow air to flow resulting in a bunch of fouled plugs, mine included.

lotsagas4u 08-18-2019 10:19 AM

I talked to Max last week about my sooty, black plugs, he suggested that I try a carb riser, said it could help, with hard starting. I have looked around, and there are several versions, anyone have one on their early engine? What thickness?

Thank you

philipswanson 08-18-2019 11:33 AM

I run a K&N in my stock '40 air cleaner. Fits like a champ. Sure beats that original fuzz they used.

frnkeore 08-19-2019 01:13 AM

Philips, do you have a K&N number for the filter?

Frank