The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gas Smell Inside (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271919)

AR 10-30-2019 06:29 PM

Gas Smell Inside

I started to notice that every time I fill up the gas tank on my 56 Merc wagon I get a strong gas smell inside the car. I have checked for gas leaks from the carburator back to the gas tank with nothing showing up. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Thanks
AR

paul2748 10-30-2019 08:03 PM

Re: Gas Smell Inside

Did you look where the sender is? It can leak there

AR 10-30-2019 08:55 PM

I have not check it but I will now.
Thanks for your input.
AR

Alaska Jim 10-30-2019 08:56 PM

I had a small leak on the hose on the metal filler neck tube that goes from the tank to the outside of the car. it was leaking down near the tank and could not bee seen, until I pulled all the carpet, and trunk liner from the trunk. just a thought. This was on my '51 Merc.

50fordcoupeman 10-31-2019 12:56 AM

When I got my car, it had a seep around the sending unit access hole. Mostly leaked only upon gas fill up. Hope this helps.

poolplayer1 10-31-2019 12:55 PM

I had the same problem you have with my 55 wagon. In my case,it was a bad gasket at the sending unit flange. Put a new gasket in it and the small was gone.

Ole Don 10-31-2019 01:01 PM

Yup, the sender gasket is dried up. Never park inside with a full tank and it won't bother you. Removing the tank is a bear the first time.

Ford56 11-03-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Don (Post 1816193)
Yup, the sender gasket is dried up. Never park inside with a full tank and it won't bother you. Removing the tank is a bear the first time.

I agree 100%; if you can leave about a gallon or two out of a "full tank", it could make a difference in the smell. Worked for me. :D

Daves55Sedan 11-03-2019 11:23 PM

It's a good bet that the sending unit cork gasket is at fault, because there is really nothing besides that little round cover-plate separating the sender from the hole thru the floor for the sending unit. So, you'd definitely get the smell.
Another thing to check is the rubber hoses that connect the filler neck and vent tube to the tank. If your gas tank is overfull, gas may be encroaching upon those hose connections. If the worm-gear clamps are not tight enough, some gas might leak, but I don't think you'd smell it so much inside the car.

AR 11-06-2019 11:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I checked the sender unit gasket and it was dry. I will check the hoses at the filler tube. I also will drive the wagon and get the gas level down to see when it stops smelling.
Thanks again