The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Running board antenna (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196537)

Kurt in NJ 05-17-2016 07:29 AM

Running board antenna

I am looking for more about the runningboard antenna used on 36 open cars---the picture in the 35-36 book is small, but it looks like something I can make if I have a little more information, I have seen the "repro" universal one that was or is still made and it is not for me, and I have 2 versions of an aftermarked one that doesn't look as easy to copy with the equipment I have

From the picture it looks to hang somewhat below the frame and I don't think they survived very well, and soon they were out of style---I need to make one for a friends 36 Packard, and he doesn't care if it is the same as the one for my conv sedan

mrtexas 05-17-2016 07:51 AM

Re: Running board antenna

I just bought a generic antenna and mounted it below the runningboard. Works great.

TJ 05-17-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtexas (Post 1295026)
I just bought a generic antenna and mounted it below the runningboard. Works great.

I've done the same on 3 cars and they do work great. The generic antenna is also a lot cheaper.

flatheadfan 05-17-2016 08:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I couple of things I have done and in both cases has worked well. Note the pictures.

The first is an original running board antenna installed at the dealership (1936). This could be easily made.

The second picture is a "modern" type used on a 1935.

Tom

Joe Immler 05-17-2016 09:06 AM

When I found my '41 Ford the antenna under the running board was 3 coat hangers tied together. Could only get the high wattage station. The other suggestions will work better I'm guessin.

deuce_roadster 05-17-2016 09:33 AM

I have an NOS 33-34 antenna that goes on the spare tire bracket. I don't know if 35-36 had anything similar but it would be out of the mud. If you want a scan of the instruction sheet PM me.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=35084

Don Rogers 05-17-2016 10:35 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Kurt, Here are some photos of an original running board antenna. Please note that the mounting directions point out that there was an antenna under each running board.

flatheadfan 05-17-2016 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture with dimensions-

Dave/Green Bay 05-17-2016 11:00 AM

Is there someone that makes the cable to connect the radio box to the antenna?
Thanks Dave/Green Bay

flatheadfan 05-17-2016 04:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dave-

This is the easy part. You need a RCA cable with two male ends, a female plug mount and an "eye" terminal.

Install the female pug in the radio chassis . Use a small wire to connect the female plug to the antenna wire post inside the radio. Solder

Attach the terminal eye to the antenna frame.

Insert the RCA male end of the radio cable into the terminal eye.

Your done!

Tom

Kurt in NJ 05-17-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave/Green Bay (Post 1295129)
Is there someone that makes the cable to connect the radio box to the antenna?
Thanks Dave/Green Bay

I got the cable for the lead in from Tyree Harris wiring, it has original type end that looks like a small light bulb socket with the 2 pins

Kurt in NJ 05-17-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rogers (Post 1295113)
Kurt, Here are some photos of an original running board antenna. Please note that the mounting directions point out that there was an antenna under each running board.

In looking at the pictures the antenna mounted on the car looks to have rectangular rubber mounting blocks, the antenna parts that are shown off the car the rubber mounts have the ridge around the center--- this is like what I found for the Packard antenna-- perhaps both kinds were used, the innards of the Packard radio are Philco too,

Walt Dupont--Me. 05-17-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1295273)
In looking at the pictures the antenna mounted on the car looks to have rectangular rubber mounting blocks, the antenna parts that are shown off the car the rubber mounts have the ridge around the center--- this is like what I found for the Packard antenna-- perhaps both kinds were used, the innards of the Packard radio are Philco too,

I have a reguler antenna that you would bolt to side, I mounted under the running board on my 31 Model A coupe, it works fine. Walt

Dave/Green Bay 05-17-2016 07:27 PM

Tom & Kurt:
Thank you for the information.
Dave