The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1929 Tudor Door hinge pin replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260314)

buena1929A 03-12-2019 12:17 PM

1929 Tudor Door hinge pin replacement

Have been trying to install mirrors. The passengers side did ok and the other will not come out no matter what. Penetrating oil, hammering, patients. Tried it all. several from club said don't get tool as it broke or just did not work. It just should not be this hard. Any ideas. Can I remove hinge completely? Can't find in any books. Ideas?

1931 flamingo 03-12-2019 01:39 PM

Re: 1929 Tudor Door hinge pin replacement

Try drilling it out. Grind the top of the pin off and drill from the top, small drill bit to start then larger. Protect the painted surfaces. JMO
Paul in CT

monto 03-12-2019 03:31 PM

Before you resort to drilling, try Free All and / or Kroill.

chap52 03-13-2019 07:41 AM

Just went through this. Did the PB Blaster/Kroll soak first. Ended up drilling it out as suggested. Taped cardboard on surrounding painted areas and let my 36 year old son who was visiting that day do the drilling. It was another bonding moment.
I wonder if he has noticed how I wait on some projects until he is visiting? Always good to have him "invest" in Pops projects. Chap

Bill G 03-13-2019 09:45 AM

Find someone in your local club who has an air (pneumatic) air hammer. Small size. After about a minute or less, it will come right out. Mask around it well and hold it steady because it will tend to wander. Mine were really stubborn but it only took a minute or so with that tool. I might add that mine was before painting, but I was still careful to keep it from wandering.

stillwater 03-16-2019 12:11 PM

I ordered a pin removal kit from Snyder's, does a good job.

Hint- on one of the pins, I had to flip the block over, that has the hole for the pin, so I had extra drive to get the pin out. Kit works well enough.

vern hodgson 03-16-2019 05:54 PM

Here is a method that works quite well courtesy Gary Formalls, whidbey A’s. Take a socket, place it over the head of the pin, it should be 3/8”drive at least so as to clear the pin head. Then take a larger C clamp catch the socket and the tail of the pin in the clamp and tighten. “Bang” the pin will break loose and you can then easily drive it out. Has worked for me several times. Put some tape on the hinge to protect the paint. No banging, no heating, no drilling crooked holes.

Big hammer 03-18-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicbox51 (Post 1735845)
Find someone in your local club who has an air (pneumatic) air hammer. Small size. After about a minute or less, it will come right out. Mask around it well and hold it steady because it will tend to wander. Mine were really stubborn but it only took a minute or so with that tool. I might add that mine was before painting, but I was still careful to keep it from wandering.

I worked for hours trying to remove the pins, went for a break and at a farm supply store I bought an air hammer kit for less than 20$, the pins jumped out

Smooth_One 03-18-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monto (Post 1735594)
Before you resort to drilling, try Free All and / or Kroill.

I second the Kroil!