The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Manners... A new rule... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212600)

Ryan 01-15-2017 10:23 PM

Re: Manners... A new rule...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshmodela (Post 1414508)
No, rubs me the wrong way, but truely good luck with it since tossing out customers who help generate profits for your web site is a hard call. In the end every needs to respectful. Most are but the few bad apples do.. Well you know...

The ford barn doesn't make much money at all, so that's not really a driver. The biggest motivation I have to get the kids out is simply not having to deal with them any longer. Seriously.

bnchief 01-16-2017 08:42 AM

Kind of reminds me of when people show up here and I have a sign that says beware of dog and a guy asks does your dog bite? Kinda like poking the administrator and wondering what will happen. Glad your here Ryan.

P.S. 01-16-2017 11:19 AM

I seldom check in here anymore, largely due to reasons previously stated. I hope it becomes a friendly place as a result of the new vigor in cleaning house.

My only fear is that some of the truly knowledgeable people who have left will not know it is safe to return and when we want to know something technical or specialized, that our inquiry will go unanswered.

msmaron 01-16-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1414698)
I seldom check in here anymore, largely due to reasons previously stated. I hope it becomes a friendly place as a result of the new vigor in cleaning house.

My only fear is that some of the truly knowledgeable people who have left will not know it is safe to return and when we want to know something technical or specialized, that our inquiry will go unanswered.

I think your over exaggerating paul, i have seen your posts as you know and your questions seem to always be answered in a polite and helpful way and YES many many of the knowledgable people are gone from the site and will not return.... sadly.

Ryan 01-16-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1414698)

Your stats show you to be a pretty regular user as of late. My intention is make sure it stays that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 1414740)
I think your over exaggerating paul, i have seen your posts as you know and your questions seem to always be answered in a polite and helpful way and YES many many of the knowledgable people are gone from the site and will not return.... sadly.

Sure... some have left... but I'd bet you could still get any question you wanted answered in short time.

And many of the regular drama guys are also pretty knowledgeable sadly. They will be gone as well of course...

Point is this: You can have a really rich community full of knowledge and without all of the name calling and chest thumping. It's possible. And I hope to make that happen here.

pooch 01-16-2017 04:51 PM

I have been here for a while and have learned a lot about Model A/s both from here and elsewhere.

Sure there are a few egos here .

I find the best way is to just stop responding when they chest thump and tell you how good they are.

They are in full noise mid stream talking over you and you just walk out of the thread.

I reckon they search for days looking for any response ..

I bet this pisses them off no end,

After that, I just generally stay out of the threads of the know it alls.

Binger 01-17-2017 04:34 PM

Another Thank You for all your efforts Ryan. I haven't been on the "Barn" in a couple of weeks and I think I am glad I missed all the uproar. I have always felt this board was kinder and gentler than the HAMB. Generally it is always. There is always different points of views coming here too, From fine point judging to touring to speedsters and banger powered hot rods. A lot of time big the differences of opinion come from the persons goals for their cars. Much knowledge is to be gained from all the members here! I always listen more than I speak.

mshmodela 01-18-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 1414740)

Good folks like Purdy had enough of pack of wolves.. He's not posted in almost 2 years. So there is no myth that folks who truly had decades of experience have gone silent...

C26Pinelake 01-18-2017 04:12 PM

Purdy is one of our true major losses! Hopefully the new manners will bring him back. Wayne

Mike V. Florida 01-20-2017 04:50 AM

The reason there are so few good writers is the fact that conveying an idea is not always easy to do "on paper".

Sometimes a blunt answer can be interpreted as being rude. I have found that a whole lot of technical people are just that, blunt. I think it is all the technical writings they read and write using just the minimal amount of words to get the idea across. I assume you contact those that are guilty and tell them exactly where they went wrong when you ban them. Like I said sometimes a blunt answer by a writer can be taken as a rude answer by the reader when it was never intended to be that way. I think (and I'm nobody here) a chance to edit the offending post might be a better first step.

denis4x4 01-20-2017 11:04 AM

I suspect that the Fordbarn would become a very boring site in the PC police limited threads to those that are technical in nature. Mike V is correct that it is difficult to put things of a technical nature into an understandable paragraph. I did some technical instruction writing on weapon systems and was required to keep it at a 6th grade level. The fewer the words, the easier to understand. There is a fine line between being a jerk and an asshole. I would think that the 'barners are more mature and can tell the difference.

H. L. Chauvin 01-20-2017 01:33 PM

I received several private emails some time ago, (as opposed to Forum Private Messages, (PM's) generated on this Forum), concerning the alleged Ford Barn gang attacks in progress.

Those allegedly attacked individuals were allegedly hurt and had already sadly left.

We can imagine that here within, it is virtually impossible to monitor outside, behind the scenes private emails.

And then, one way to look at this Model A Hobby is, what is the true value of being declared a 100% Model A Genius who is never wrong and always right?

With possession of such an Honorable Model A Diploma, none of us could land a $5.00 an hour job as a McDonald's kitchen helper employee working at the rear sink.

I too hope these gentlemen will return.

FWIW: I found early on that one can be successful & succeed far better in life if we sometimes act ignorant. LOL

31 Model A 01-20-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1416668)
I suspect that the Fordbarn would become a very boring site in the PC police limited threads to those that are technical in nature. .

Sure hope not, I'm here sure, for some technical help so I know what and how to describe the aches and pains that come with an 85 year old gal names Sarah to her doctor Larry Shepard but also the comradery, jocularity and stories of old and bazar regarding Model A Fords. ;)

C26Pinelake 01-20-2017 02:21 PM

Please Ryan, do not turn it into a Facebook where people write fictitious, make believe stories about their present and past girlfriends and affairs they never had. If it is not Model A it should be deleted. There is a couple here that live in a land of make believe of girlfriends, ex wives and romances that never existed. We honestly don't want to hear about it. Wayne

Ryan 01-20-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1416668)
I suspect that the Fordbarn would become a very boring site in the PC police limited threads to those that are technical in nature. Mike V is correct that it is difficult to put things of a technical nature into an understandable paragraph. I did some technical instruction writing on weapon systems and was required to keep it at a 6th grade level. The fewer the words, the easier to understand. There is a fine line between being a jerk and an asshole. I would think that the 'barners are more mature and can tell the difference.

There is no fine line between being a decent person with respect for other people and being a jerk. I'm not gonna host jerks.

Rex_A_Lott 01-24-2017 03:33 PM

Is there a list of people who are banned? I see under some of the user names "banned", but the people are still here and posting.:confused:
Also, if people are banned, can they still be reached by PM, or can they just not post on the main board?

RockHillWill 02-03-2017 06:58 AM

Ryan, As a moderator on another non-car site, I am most appreciative of both your time, investment and courage. I hope I am not in danger here. Thank you!

Mike V. Florida 02-03-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott (Post 1418918)
Is there a list of people who are banned? I see under some of the user names "banned", but the people are still here and posting.:confused:
Also, if people are banned, can they still be reached by PM, or can they just not post on the main board?

If you click on the members name you will see if they can be contacted.

As for banned, this is from the software, "By default, banned users are placed in the “Banned Users” usergroup and inherit the permissions (or lack thereof) of that group. "

redmodelt 02-03-2017 11:28 PM

I think you will find that the people that have Banned under there names have not posted anything fresh it's just that some of their past post have not been removed. If you click on their name it does not show a way to contact them unless you already have their personal email stored on your computer.

Rex_A_Lott 02-04-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1424180)
If you click on the members name you will see if they can be contacted.

As for banned, this is from the software, "By default, banned users are placed in the “Banned Users” usergroup and inherit the permissions (or lack thereof) of that group. "

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1424217)
I think you will find that the people that have Banned under there names have not posted anything fresh it's just that some of their past post have not been removed. If you click on their name it does not show a way to contact them unless you already have their personal email stored on your computer.

Thanks for the info.