The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter Switch Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279205)

JKY 04-10-2020 09:30 AM

Starter Switch Question

I have an A I'm looking as a potential purchase, 29 Fordor. When we went to see it the owner tells me the starter just spins when the battery is connected. We look at the starter switch and it appears to be stuck in the start position. Checking his parts stash we find a new switch. We put it on to get it going but the starter rod is stuck and won't depress. I assume it's out of alignment and that's what caused the old switch to fail, he pushed it in and it wouldn't retract so the starter just kept spinning.

The fellow is not to mechanically sauve and insists that he needs to take the starter in to be repaired.

Is there any adjustment to the starter rod I can make to get it to free up?

Thanks!

1930artdeco 04-10-2020 09:35 AM

Re: Starter Switch Question

Just u screw it and reattach the rod to the new one. You may want to pull it to verify that the be did is working properly.

Mike

JKY 04-10-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930artdeco (Post 1872467)
Just u screw it and reattach the rod to the new one. You may want to pull it to verify that the be did is working properly.

Mike

Thanks, we did that. Once installed the rod is stuck and won't slide up or down.

Will N 04-10-2020 09:43 AM

The rod passes through a grommet in the firewall. Could be the rod is binding in the grommet. Disconnect the rod from the switch, and see if the rod moves freely. If not squirt some oil on the grommet and work it back and forth until it moves freely.

Gary WA 04-10-2020 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Remove starter check Bendix. Low battery. One of my cars did the same thing yesterday, Battery showed 6volts but as soon as hit starter not enough! Battery was 5 years old. New battery running Great.

JKY 04-10-2020 09:56 AM

Thanks all. I'll give these a try.

katy 04-10-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will N (Post 1872476)
The rod passes through a grommet in the firewall. Could be the rod is binding in the grommet. Disconnect the rod from the switch, and see if the rod moves freely. If not squirt some oil on the grommet and work it back and forth until it moves freely.

Alternately, tie a string under the head of the starter push rod, after pushing the rod to engage the starter and start the engine, pull the string to disengage the starter.

Jacksonlll 04-10-2020 11:41 AM

It could be that the engine has shifted and put the rod into a bind. This happens often with the choke rod. See if the choke rod is free to slide. There is nothing to the starter switch. Take it apart and see what is wrong. I'm pretty sure it's not the starter motor.

Charlie Stephens 04-10-2020 11:45 AM

Time to get out the hand crank. Worry about fixing the starter motor later if you buy it. Another topic, remember THERE IS A LOT OF WOOD IN A '29 FORDOR. If the wood is bad its costs a lot to replace it. You should add your general location to your profile, you can never tell when it will pay off.

Charlie Stephens

ryanheacox 04-10-2020 01:37 PM

I remember reading something about the new switches binding. Can't remember anything more but I'll look for the thread that mentions it. Probably a Vintique part.

Gary WA 04-11-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKY (Post 1872465)
I have an A I'm looking as a potential purchase, 29 Fordor. When we went to see it the owner tells me the starter just spins when the battery is connected. We look at the starter switch and it appears to be stuck in the start position. Checking his parts stash we find a new switch. We put it on to get it going but the starter rod is stuck and won't depress. I assume it's out of alignment and that's what caused the old switch to fail, he pushed it in and it wouldn't retract so the starter just kept spinning.

The fellow is not to mechanically sauve and insists that he needs to take the starter in to be repaired.

Is there any adjustment to the starter rod I can make to get it to free up?

Thanks!

Did you get it started and then buy it??

burner31 04-12-2020 11:02 AM

My solution would be to knock a thousand dollars off the asking price

bobbader 04-12-2020 11:21 AM

Could be an early 28 starter which takes a totally different switch. If you remove the switch, there should be an insulated copper button about the diameter of a quarter protruding from the starter. It should be flat across its top and the copper should be about 1/8" thick. If, instead, the copper post is much taller than 1/8" on the front side and the top of the button looks like a ski slope (about 5/8" at highest point toward front of the car and sloping down to 1/8" in back) then the car has the earlier starter. reproduction switches for this starter are not made and you need to search for an original switch. I don't know if the newer type switch will even mount on the early starter but, if it does, there will be an immediate and constant electrical contact made which will cause the starter to run continuously once it is hooked up to a power source.
The good part is, if it has the early starter, it is easy enough to swap it for the later version and hope that that cures this and any other starting/running issues the vehicle has. If not, the "$1000 off the top of the price" is a more than viable suggestion.

Good Luck,

Bob Bader

McMimmcs 04-13-2020 10:36 AM

I suggest you start it with the crank. If it starts the problem is not too serious and should not be a deal breaker. It’s likely a tinkering type of problem. Happy driving!

JKY 04-13-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1872915)
Did you get it started and then buy it??

Yes, he found a used switch that fit and worked. The new one in the parts box was junk. I bought it.

JKY 04-13-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1873442)
My solution would be to knock a thousand dollars off the asking price

Didn't want to buy it without running and driving it.

JKY 04-13-2020 03:31 PM

Double post, sorry