The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A News, Jan-Feb 2019, Fuse Block (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259274)

Ed in Maine 02-16-2019 10:55 AM

Model A News, Jan-Feb 2019, Fuse Block

In this months Model A News, I liked the article on the "Fuse Block for the Model A." The timing is just right for my restoration. However, a key piece of information is not included. What is the recommended ratings (amp.s) for each of the circuits shown? I'm guessing in the order of 7-10 amps. What size fuse should be used for the fuse on the starter? Thanks for your help, Ed

daveymc29 02-16-2019 11:10 AM

Re: Model A News, Jan-Feb 2019, Fuse Block

30 amp circuit breaker on starter works well for me.

redmodelt 02-16-2019 12:03 PM

Tom at the Model A Ford Works in Portland Oregon makes a very nice fuse holder that mounts inside on the firewall using the screws that hold the junction box on to the firewall. They are made for one or more fuses and can include a mounting for a turn signal flasher. This moves the mounting from outside on the starter to a cleaner dry location. PM me and I will pass on his contact info.

Tom Wesenberg 02-16-2019 05:29 PM

I don't use fuses, but if I did, then I'd use a 20 amp fuse right at the cutout, where the lights and horn wire connect. Then use a 30 amp fuse by the starter. Since the lights are the usual cause for a blown fuse, this way the 20 amp will blow, but the 30 amp will keep running the ignition, so you don't die in the middle of the road.

Charlie Stephens 02-16-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1727476)
In this months Model A News, I liked the article on the "Fuse Block for the Model A." The timing is just right for my restoration. However, a key piece of information is not included. What is the recommended ratings (amp.s) for each of the circuits shown? I'm guessing in the order of 7-10 amps. What size fuse should be used for the fuse on the starter? Thanks for your help, Ed

Funny you should mention it. When I saw it a couple of days ago my thought was that it is functional but it also has to be the ugliest fuse block I have ever seen. Of course as I said, it is functional and beauty is in the eyer of the beholder.

Charlie Stephens

CarlG 02-16-2019 09:30 PM

I haven't got my copy of the magazine yet

AL in NY 01-17-2022 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I liked this article also. Really nice way to separate different circuits that could fail while on the road. With this circuit separation, it would be much easier to trouble-shoot a problem. The only thing I didn't like was the location and looks of the fuse block located on the generator. I took this idea and modified it so the fuse block was mounted on the firewall. And by placing all the extra wires in a larger wire loom, I was able to pass Touring Class Judging with this arrangement. Here are some photos and a circuit diagram which shows how the fuse block is wired.

Y-Blockhead 01-17-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL in NY (Post 2095842)
I liked this article also. Really nice way to separate different circuits that could fail while on the road. With this circuit separation, it would be much easier to trouble-shoot a problem. The only thing I didn't like was the location and looks of the fuse block located on the generator. I took this idea and modified it so the fuse block was mounted on the firewall. And by placing all the extra wires in a larger wire loom, I was able to pass Touring Class Judging with this arrangement. Here are some photos and a circuit diagram which shows how the fuse block is wired.

I separated my circuits also. I installed my fuse block on the back side of the terminal box so it is somewhat hidden under the tank. Small LEDs on the fuse block light when the fuse blows, making easy to see which fuse blew.

I also have a circuit breaker on the headlight circuit down by my power-Gen.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...76074f4d5e.jpg

AL in NY 01-17-2022 05:07 PM

Y-Blockhead: Very Nice!!!!

Gene F 01-17-2022 07:56 PM

I have never blown my fuse. However, I have always heard that if it blows, in just a matter of a couple of minutes the car will quit running. I hear it fries the points. Any one heard of this?

Anteek29 01-17-2022 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;2095856]I separated my circuits also. I installed my fuse block on the back side of the terminal box so it is somewhat hidden under the tank. Small LEDs on the fuse block light when the fuse blows, making easy to see which fuse blew.

I noticed Fuse #6 is inverted :D

Y-Blockhead 01-17-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2095914)
I have never blown my fuse. However, I have always heard that if it blows, in just a matter of a couple of minutes the car will quit running. I hear it fries the points. Any one heard of this?

Never heard of frying the points but I have heard that the generator doesn't like it so much. All of my other fuses are at a much lower rating and the main fuse (which is a 30 amp circuit breaker) should never blow on my car.

[QUOTE=Anteek29;2095925]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 2095856)
I separated my circuits also. I installed my fuse block on the back side of the terminal box so it is somewhat hidden under the tank. Small LEDs on the fuse block light when the fuse blows, making easy to see which fuse blew.

Anteek, good eye. That is a spare fuse but now that you pointed it out it is going to bug me until I turn it over.... :(

1930artdeco 01-18-2022 12:20 AM

Ooooh good ideas, I will keep this thread in mind when I redo my car.

Mike

katy 01-18-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteek29 (Post 2095925)

Does it really matter? Will it still work?

Y-Blockhead 01-18-2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2096101)
Does it really matter? Will it still work?

I'm sure it will work just fine. I think Anteek29 was trying to mess with my head.:p:p

Altho, I do believe the fuses that light (not the ones in the picture) when blown are directional.

C1Nelson 01-18-2022 12:53 PM

Y-Blockhead that looks great. . Where did you find that fuse block? What are the circuits you have on their? I assume directionals, horn, lights?

Y-Blockhead 01-18-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C1Nelson (Post 2096145)
Y-Blockhead that looks great. . Where did you find that fuse block? What are the circuits you have on their? I assume directionals, horn, lights?

The fuse box I got on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Jtron-12-32V-...%2C150&sr=1-16 My car is 12v, I don't know if the LEDs warning lights work on 6v.

For the ciriuits; #1 Turn signals, #2 Fog Lights, #3 Tach, #4 Sportlite, Dash Light, Windshield Wiper, #5 Interior Light (Town Sedan), 12v outlet for iPhone/GPS, #6 Spare.

The Lighting/Horn circuits are stock except I tapped in a 20A circuit breaker.

Anteek29 01-18-2022 02:36 PM

Y-Blockhead...You did a professional - looking job with that fuse block!

AL in NY 01-18-2022 06:41 PM

I segregated my circuits as outlined in the "Model A News" article. I used 6 fuses, main=30amp, gen/alt output=25amp, brake switch=3amp (LED's), light switch=15amp (halogen headlights), horn=5amp and directionals-GPS-USB outlet=3amp. I haven't had any problems, so I feel the fuse value I picked is working.

nkaminar 01-18-2022 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In general the fuse (or a circuit breaker) should be 1.5 times the maximum amperage of the circuit. Some items, like my tachometer, will come with a fuse recommendation, in this case 1 amp. Otherwise the current can be measured.

Magnets can be used to mount a fuse block on the engine side of the firewall where it is accessible. I use a piece of cloth between the magnets and the firewall to protect the paint.

Nice fuse blocks can be obtained from marine supply stores.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1642553425