The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   8 volt battery (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206242)

Tom in SW VA 10-03-2016 09:35 PM

8 volt battery

If you install an eight (8) volt battery, do you have to make any electrical changes ?

Thanking you in advance............................. :)

Tom in SW VA

Kurt in NJ 10-03-2016 11:01 PM

Re: 8 volt battery

it depends on type of charging system---3 brush ,cutout only-- no changes,just works------ 2 brush generator with regulator needs the regulator changed or adjusted to the new voltage----and you will need spare bulbs, they won't last as long, ----most times 8V is a quick fix instead of proper restoration to stock

tubman 10-03-2016 11:15 PM

An 8 volt battery is a band aid for those who don't want to solve their electrical problems. That's OK, I guess for old farm tractors, but for someone trying to have a decent car, not so much. DO IT RIGHT. Clean your connections and grounds. Oh, BTW, if you have a radio, you'll probably fry the vibrator if you haven't already done it.

Sorry, I can't post a response that will lead someone the wrong way; "Kurt" I don't think your response helps anything.

Kurt in NJ 10-04-2016 07:02 AM

S I will rephrase--- since the original post doesn't say what year or type of charging system-- with a 3 brush generator the voltage is set by the battery, amperage by the setting of the 3 rd brush__ you can just install the battery and it will work--- if the loads have no problem with the increased voltage

With a 2 brush generator/ regulator system the regulator has to be adjusted to charge properly for the new voltage

In my experience proper restoration eliminates the need for most modifications

nbrskn 10-04-2016 08:34 AM

When Gene at Best Tire and Battery in Kansas City done the 8vt set up . One of the things we did was set the voltage at head light back down to 6vt. Done with special spring looking wire at ground side at headlight. And regulator as mentioned above.
Don't remember if any thing else or not.

19Fordy 10-04-2016 08:39 AM

Tom: Do all in your power NOT to convert to 8V. You will gain little. In fact, you will be opening a new can of worms. It's just not worth the trouble. If you do a Google Search "Converting from 6 to 8 volts." you will see why.

40 Deluxe 10-04-2016 08:56 AM

Out of curiosity: Does anyone know the origin of 8 volt batteries? Was this an aftermarket fix? Or were there OEM 8 volt systems (maybe industrial or agricultural) and somebody then stuck an 8 volt battery in their Ford?

rotorwrench 10-04-2016 09:23 AM

8-Volt batterys serve a lot of purposes especially when connecting them in series to gain a specific voltage as an end result. Some golf cars are 48 volt systems so they gang 6 each 8-volt batteries in series. Some use 4 each 12-volt batteries but it depends on the manufacturer and how much amp/hour capacity they need and how much room they have to work with.

rockfla 10-04-2016 11:18 AM

@ Tom in SW VA
There have been several post on here on 6V, 6V to 8V, 6V to 12V conversions that you can do a search on and determine what's the best option for your situation......But to expand on TUBEMAN's post....if your having problems with your 6V system.... most stem from a few fairly simple fixes....Usually too small of battery cables (most go to napa and get cables for 12V systems NOT 6V systems) or the next "most" common area to look is either improper or lack of grounds for the system. So maybe a quick and inexpensive fix like the above mentioned areas will save you time and money???

LuckyFordGuy 10-04-2016 11:36 AM

Do like Tubman said clean ALL your connections will work just fine had sme thing happen to me Rog MN

JSeery 10-04-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyFordGuy (Post 1364826)
Do like Tubman said clean ALL your connections will work just fine had sme thing happen to me Rog MN

Maybe, if it has the proper connectors and grounds to begin with.

GreenMonster48 10-04-2016 02:38 PM

Get 00 cable from a welding shop for your battery cables if staying with 6V, and get an Optima 6V battery. Your local Napa 6V batteries are underpowered and garbage (I've been through 3 of them before I switched to 12V). As others have said, check your grounds, but most often it's wimpy wiring or crap battery that's keepin' you down.

DD931 10-04-2016 04:16 PM

X2!!!

rotorwrench 10-04-2016 04:36 PM

If I was going to go to the trouble of converting, I'd do a proper job of it and convert to something useful like 12-volts. 8-Volts was never intended to be for automotive use. They work good in a golf car though.

dmsfrr 10-04-2016 08:00 PM

Tom in SW VA - I agree with the answers above.
You posted the same question in the Late V8 Forum and here's my answer from your post there.

A couple common problems that cause sluggish starting on 6v vehicles...

Battery & starter cable connections that aren't spotless, at all ends.
My neighbors '55 (6v pos gnd) had a previous owner who wanted shiny lugs on the battery & starter cable ends so he painted them silver, not a good idea at all, drove the neighbor nuts for a few months til he figured it out.

The battery ground cable should fasten to the engine block.
It's the shortest path to ground with the highest current capacity and least number of connections to the starter. (except for grounding the battery cable to the starter itself)

Having generic replacement battery & starter cables from the rack at the discount auto parts store.
Most of them are #2, #4 or even #6 gauge wire, which is insufficient for a 6v starter.
A 6v electrical system uses double the current of a 12v system and needs battery & starter cables of #1 or #0 gauge to function well.
Any switch, wire or connection in the starter system that is the weakest link defeats all the rest.

jake197000 10-04-2016 08:01 PM

homes used to run off 32 volts.irons,fans,u name it.delco and others made generators to charge the batteries 32 volts.prolly nothing to do with 8 volt batteries butjust reminded me of it.

flatheadmurre 10-05-2016 12:04 AM

What has not been mentioned is that you need a battery with enough CCA to....at least over here when you ask for a 6v battery they first scratch their head and then give you something suitable for a beetle.
With a battery not able to give you the current needed you have the same issues as with bad grounding or to small cables.

jerry shook 10-05-2016 06:15 AM

I have cars i converted to 8-v many years back so for not one problem just great service.

Mike51Merc 10-05-2016 07:43 AM

I don't believe in using 8V batteries to cure 6V problems.

corvette8n 10-05-2016 08:19 AM

I bought my battery and cables from Tractor Supply, any tractor store should have the heavier cables, as there are a lot of old tractors still running 6 volts.
As they say on the tractor forums make your connections "tight and bright".