The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   unusually headlight issue (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238902)

CB919ER 02-09-2018 10:44 AM

unusually headlight issue

after I replaced my radiator last week I got all the lights wired back up and noticed when I flip the head lights to low bead I get the driver side light, and on high beam I get the passenger side light. Any idea what's causing this?

BillCNC 02-09-2018 11:04 AM

Re: unusually headlight issue

Wired back correctly?

or

Did you remove the bulb's, if so you possibly flipped one bulb 180°. The high beam's should be on top and low beam's on the bottom.

Regards
Bill

jwilliams81 02-09-2018 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep. I am guessing you just need to switch the wires on the side that isn't low beam when you have the headlight switch set to low beam.

The black wire holder has the color wire that should be in each slot marked on it.
Y=Yellow
R= Red
G= Green

That black holder can only go into the socket one way.

CB919ER 02-09-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1590820)
Wired back correctly?

or

Did you remove the bulb's, if so you possibly flipped one bulb 180°. The high beam's should be on top and low beam's on the bottom.

Regards
Bill

That's what I was thinking, I'm just glad to get confirmation from someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilliams81 (Post 1590827)
Yep. I am guessing you just need to switch the wires on the side that isn't low beam when you have the headlight switch set to low beam.

The black wire holder has the color wire that should be in each slot marked on it.
Y=Yellow
R= Red
G= Green

That black holder can only go into the socket one way.

I don't have those. I have cowl lights and only have two wires going into my headlights.

jwilliams81 02-09-2018 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CB919ER (Post 1590828)
That's what I was thinking, I'm just glad to get confirmation from someone else.

I don't have those. I have cowl lights and only have two wires going into my headlights.

I have cowl lights as well and still have two wires going to the headlight.
The headlight bolt itself is the ground... where it attaches to the rod going across the fenders.

Those two wires are High beam and low beam.

Black with Red tracer is low beam
Black with Green tracer is High beam

Bob C 02-09-2018 11:47 AM

If I read the original post correctly you only have one headlight working at a time??

Bob

Y-Blockhead 02-09-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1590820)
Wired back correctly?

or

Regards
Bill

That's incorrect. The high beam filament is on the bottom and the low beam filament is on the top.

CB919ER 02-09-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1590840)
If I read the original post correctly you only have one headlight working at a time??

Bob

you are correct, I managed to get both lights working on low beam, but I'm pretty sure my plugs are toast.

BillCNC 02-09-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1590852)
That's incorrect. The high beam filament is on the bottom and the low beam filament is on the top.

Blockhead,

I pulled the information straight from Les Andrews third book, Troubleshooting & Diagnostics p. 4-21, under: Head Lights

His Words:

"The head lights are a duel filament bulb. The bulbs can be place in socket with the high beam up or down. Both head lights should have the High beam in the UP position. Turn the bulb 180° if needed so that both head lights are at low beam at the first switch position to the right."

It was still stuck in my head because I just put in my radiator yesterday and am wiring the car just like the OP and I read the text last night prepping me for wiring the light's today.

Regards
Bill

jwilliams81 02-09-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1590856)
Blockhead,

I pulled the information straight from Les Andrews third book, Troubleshooting & Diagnostics p. 4-21, under: Head Lights

His Words:

"The head lights are a duel filament bulb. The bulbs can be place in socket with the high beam up or down. Both head lights should have the High beam in the UP position. Turn the bulb 180° if needed so that both head lights are at low beam at the first switch position to the right."

It was still stuck in my head because I just put in my radiator yesterday and am wiring the car just like the OP and I read the text last night prepping me for wiring the light's today.

Regards
Bill

Yep, I'm going to agree. If the wires are correct then its just the bulb.

Y-Blockhead 02-09-2018 01:50 PM

Then I guess me and Marco are wrong...

Per Marco Tahtaras
The new lamps were supplied with 6-8 volt double filament double contact gas filled bulbs. Both of the filaments were 21 candle power. The lower filament provided a beam which gives exceptionally brilliant road illumination for high speed driving. The upper filament provided a downward tilting beam which illuminates the road surface close to the car.

Synchro909 02-09-2018 03:00 PM

High beam on top or low on top is all academic really. Either can be correct. It depends on whether the filaments are in front of or behind the focal point of the parabolic reflector and that being adjustable, there is absolutely no point stressing about it. Just so long as they are the same.

Y-Blockhead 02-09-2018 03:52 PM

It's all good. I'm running 75/125cp bulbs so it is kind of a moot point for me anyway. Either puts out a lot more than original :p:p.

I did see a diagram someplace explaining why to place the high beam on the bottom tho. I thought it might have been on Ford Garage but I can't locate it.

jwilliams81 02-09-2018 03:56 PM

Here is the article from Ford Garage
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/Aheadlampreflectors.htm

burner31 02-10-2018 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My buddy said my headlights were misadjusted, I've never noticed a problem, sometimes I think he just likes to complain.

fred93 02-12-2018 09:53 PM

You guys are making me crazy!!! One says high beams are on top another says it doesn't matter and another says high beams on the bottom! I was confused before, but now I am REALLY CONFUSED!!!

burner31 02-12-2018 11:23 PM

Seriously, highs on top

Tom Wesenberg 02-13-2018 01:04 AM

The filament being above the centerline reflects off the silvered reflector at a downward angle, so this is low beam.

The lower filament will bounce off the reflector at a higher angle, so this is high beam.

Y-Blockhead 02-13-2018 10:38 AM

Thanks you Tom. I have seen a diagram 'reflecting' this somewhere but I can't find it now.

That also brings up the reason you need the correct bulb in order to focus the headlights properly.

robert shreveport 02-13-2018 11:29 AM

Tom that was a good characterization. Makes sense.