The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter not quite up to the task after rebuild (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298340)

Alaska Mike 05-08-2021 08:02 PM

Starter not quite up to the task after rebuild

Had my engine rebuilt, new bearings, balanced crank, high lift cam, lightened flywheel, v8 clutch, bigger intake valves, high compression head. I have about 200 miles on it now. Starter would hardly turn the engine over to start it, so I took it to a reputable shop that rebuilds starters. He put a new armature in it, and thought it was good to go. I installed it, and it will start it, but still turns over very slow. I installed a new start switch, cleaned the surfaces where the starter bolts to the engine, new battery, new cables, grounded from the battery to the frame, and to the transmission. About all I can do to turn it over with the crank. Do I just need to drive it some more and wait for it to break-in?

McMimmcs 05-08-2021 08:54 PM

Re: Starter not quite up to the task after rebuild

Do you have the proper size battery cable ? I use double ought ( 00 )!

Synchro909 05-08-2021 10:49 PM

Mike, Your last sentence tells me you know what you should do with it. As you ay, It will free-up with use so use it. That's what they were made for.

Will N 05-09-2021 09:49 AM

Also check that you have a good ground path for our starter. After the engine and starter rebuild, both are probably beautifully painted to the point where there's little bare metal contact between the starter and engine. Scrape off some paint behind the starter bolt ears and where they bolt to the engine to get a good ground.

katy 05-09-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Mike (Post 2014862)
About all I can do to turn it over with the crank. ?

If it's that hard to turn over I would surmise that whoever assembled that engine didn't know what they were doing. It shouldn't be that tight.

ArtimusGordon 05-09-2021 10:35 AM

It’s possible that the engine rebuilder got things too tight. I would remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over with the crank. If it is difficult to turn then it might take some time for the cylinders to break in and be looser when turning by hand and hopefully your starter will turn faster! It’s also possible that the bearings were set up with LESS than required clearance!

Jerry in Shasta 05-09-2021 10:43 AM

A Model A requires more piston clearance than a modern car.
Years alo I had a engine re-bored at a local shop. They gave the pistons about 4 thousands clearance. When warm the engine was very tight for a long time.

jayvee34 05-09-2021 11:46 AM

Could be timing, high compression head, clearances, or needs breaking-in.
John

Alaska Mike 05-09-2021 06:18 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I did clean the area where the starter meets the bell housing, and I made my own battery cables out of welding cable so I could put a disconnect switch in. I think just driving it is the solution. Thanks again!

jb-ob 05-09-2021 07:06 PM

NOT Your Problem but..... careless assembly using three 'too long' starter bolts that will lock against the flywheel has caused many unnecessary engine removals to re check motor clearances that where correct.....

hardtimes 05-09-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Mike (Post 2015117)
Thanks for all the ideas. I did clean the area where the starter meets the bell housing, and I made my own battery cables out of welding cable so I could put a disconnect switch in. I think just driving it is the solution. Thanks again!

Hey Mike,
‘high compression” head
How high compression ?

Benson 05-10-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Mike (Post 2015117)

Some of the disconnect switches out there do not pass enough current for the starter.

You might jumper the terminals on the disconnect switch with a heavy cable like a jumper cable and see if it cranks faster.

ModelAMike1930 05-10-2021 06:16 PM

I would either disconnect one side of the cutoff switch and bolt it to the side on disconnect switch or a jumper cable across the cutoff switch.

nkaminar 05-10-2021 07:19 PM

Mike, It sounds like you are doing all the right things. My only suggestion is to check the voltage at the starter terminal when cranking the engine over. That will tell you a lot. Maybe you need a new battery.

midgetracer 05-10-2021 08:06 PM

If you can barely turn it over with the crank, It is too tight. I just worked on one that had one rod at less than .0005" and it was too much for the starter. It had just been rebuilt by a big name rebuilder. One shim solved the problem.

Alaska Mike 05-11-2021 04:07 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I will check the disconnect switch, and voltage. 6 to 1 high compression head. I will try those ideas, and post again. Thanks! Mike

burner31 05-11-2021 11:02 PM

Rod clearance is critical, as stated, even one shim can make a world of difference.

TZBrown 05-12-2021 07:55 AM

I had the same issue, same rebuild configuration as you have.
After the first 500 miles it was much better. After 1K it now starts great.

During the first 500 miles I was a bit careful on where I parked, hoping to get a roll and bump start. I also kept the idle up a bit to prevent stalling, and having to push it to the side of the road.

Kurt in NJ 05-12-2021 08:26 AM

When i got the optima battery my car cranked faster, fast enough that i was accused of converting to 12V ---what battery do you have and how old is it?
originally with the first engine rebuild on my car the starter had trouble, loosened up after 500-700 miles, then it got loose enough to knock at 3000 miles

katy 05-12-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 2015777)
Rod clearance is critical, as stated, even one shim can make a world of difference.

Ditto.
Also, another item often overlooked is ring end gap. Not enough gap on even one ring is enough to make an engine overly stiff, especially when hot.