The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1935 big truck bench seat question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228636)

Bones 09-08-2017 10:47 AM

1935 big truck bench seat question

1 Attachment(s)
Hello friends and thanks for looking at my thread: a customer brought me a project and one of them involves the installation of a bench seat over the gas tank. The wooden part of the bench is MIA but that isn't my issue as much as this question: did the '35 big truck have a full bench or just a half seat? I made a plywood template and it looks as if the fill neck interferes with the passenger side of the seat. Does anyone have a picture of where these two parts come together? I appreciate any assistance in this and thank you.

nelsb01 09-08-2017 11:29 AM

Re: 1935 big truck bench seat question

The seat should be the same as the pickup -- the top is covered springs with two hinges that attach to the wood base and cushion. The metal platform that the wood base sits on should have a protruding post in each of the front corners. This is where the seat "adjustment" is -- a rectangle piece of metal with 3 holes in it for the "adjustment". If i could attach a photo, I would.

Bones 09-08-2017 11:40 AM

Hi - thanks for the reply. I get that part ok. The problem I am experiencing is that I am having interference with the gas tank fill neck. The "metal platform" is the gas tank itself with 2 protrusions for the adjustment. I have also just realized the photo is sideways - thanks iPhone. Please rotate that in your mind 90° counter clockwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelsb01 (Post 1524530)
The seat should be the same as the pickup -- the top is covered springs with two hinges that attach to the wood base and cushion. The metal platform that the wood base sits on should have a protruding post in each of the front corners. This is where the seat "adjustment" is -- a rectangle piece of metal with 3 holes in it for the "adjustment". If i could attach a photo, I would.

Zimmco 09-08-2017 11:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures. Note the three holes on each side as pointed out by nelsb01.

Zimmco 09-08-2017 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more picture. Both sides are the same.

Bones 09-08-2017 11:52 AM

It has occurred to me that perhaps the seat should be on a riser and that the over-tank installation is incorrect for this year???

Bones 09-08-2017 11:56 AM

Then again when I look under the truck it is clear the tank is designed to be there so maybe I have the wrong bench? This is confusing when you're asked to complete what someone else started.

Don Rogers 09-08-2017 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bones, The seat cushion should sit on top of the gas tank. As others have pointed out, the tank has metal pins(dowels) on each front corner. The wooden frame has 3 holes on each front side. By moving from one set of holes to the other, you adjust the seat cushion.

Bones 09-08-2017 12:59 PM

Thanks Don - so you have a full bench on that tank? The folks at Early Ford V8 Sales thought I should have a split bench. The bench I have (not oem btw and missing the wood part) is definitely too wide for the tank - it interferes with the fill neck. Do you have a pic of the bench on the tank? That would answer a couple of questions for me. Thanks!

Don Rogers 09-08-2017 04:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Bones, Here are some images from Ford promotional films showing the seat on the tank. Further checking indicates that the seat cushion ass'y (51-815350) is not the same as the pickup truck. I'll keep looking for mare info.

Model51 10-31-2017 07:23 PM

Did you ever resolve your questions? I was contacted by Don on this topic and just found this thread. I'm restoring a 1935 big truck and have lots of information and original seat parts which should answer all of your questions. The big truck and pickup seats are different. I have an original and pattern and Ford parts drawing for these items. Let me know if you still need information.
Dave

Bones 11-28-2017 09:15 AM

Dave, I would love more information. I sent you a PM. Thanks for any help you can give.