The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Motometer repair (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198577)

hazelhoff 06-17-2016 01:25 PM

Motometer repair

Being a purist I had my motometer nickle plated instead of chromed. Did not know the glass mercury tube was glued, so it broke whilst taking it out. Russell Scientific Instruments out of the UK blew a new one for me. Perfect job !!, great people to work with !!

Henk (Holland)

700rpm 06-17-2016 03:30 PM

Re: Motometer repair

That is really good info, as no replacements are currently available in the US, that I know of anyway. Maybe one of our suppliers can contact Russell. Dank u!

John Duden 06-19-2016 06:21 PM

might i ask what it cost? i have one that is a rare accessory for a two cylinder john deere that i want to have redone
John

RonC 06-19-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelhoff (Post 1310203)
Being a purist I had my motometer nickle plated instead of chromed. Did not know the glass mercury tube was glued, so it broke whilst taking it out. Russell Scientific Instruments out of the UK blew a new one for me. Perfect job !!, great people to work with !!

Henk (Holland)

1928-1929 motometers are nickled plated. 1930-1931 are chrome plated

Terry, NJ 06-19-2016 10:30 PM

In Bert's catalog; " The manufacturer of the Motometers and quails will NOT sell the Thermometer by itself for the Motometers as they are difficult to install" This was in the ad for the thermometer for the quails only. I would like to buy one for my Motometer also.
Terry

Mike V. Florida 06-19-2016 11:09 PM

Sounds like an opportunity. Who has the upfront cash to have the thermometers made for the, junior and senior size meters, and the quail cap made to supply the vendors or the general public?

hazelhoff 06-24-2016 03:40 PM

Hi there John,

The cost for a new tube is 60 English pounds.

Renickeling was a lot more but will be cheaper in the US

700rpm 06-25-2016 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelhoff (Post 1313679)
Hi there John,

The cost for a new tube is 60 English pounds.

Renickeling was a lot more but will be cheaper in the US

Hoo boy! You can get a nice repro meter and cap for about that price.

Mike V. Florida 06-25-2016 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1313953)
Hoo boy! You can get a nice repro meter and cap for about that price.

Wait until tomorrow it will be cheaper.

hazelhoff 06-27-2016 04:37 AM

Yes, it'a lot of money, but it is nickle now ! Worth it !

Capt Quahog 06-27-2016 10:54 AM

Do I understand this right . . . Somebody took a "repro" moto-meter and had it de-chomed and then nickel plated? One of my "original" Boyce FORD moto-meters is actually chrome plated over the base nickel finish. It looks to be an old plating job too. Speculated that perhaps back in the later Model A Ford era, that some of the moto-meters came chrome plated instead of nickel to match up with the stainless steel radiator shell.

hazelhoff 06-28-2016 01:35 PM

Yes, i took a repro and had it re-nickeled. You do not want chrome on your model a do you ? Except for bumpers.....

Everything - including new repro parts - door handles, gear shift lever, instument panel etc. Get to be nickeled.

Purists ...... Pfffff

Henk