The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine stand adapter question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267798)

jquinlan 08-12-2019 02:14 PM

Engine stand adapter question

1 Attachment(s)
I found a beautiful engine stand with a model a engine adapter on craigslist awhile back and just now dug it out to work on a re-babbited short block that I recently purchased. This Model A engine adapter is the one sold at Brattons, Macs and possibly other suppliers and is mentioned in threads that I researched on this forum.

However, one thing I can't figure out is why this adapter only has one hole in it for mounting to the stand. So there is not a way to spin the engine upside down while working on it. The standard engine mounting bracket that came with the stand has a bunch of holes in it for mounting an engine at different angles and another larger hole in the end to put a pipe or lever to assist in turning the engine. But the Model A engine stand adapter doesn't have any of that. Just one hole.

Is there any reason I shouldn't drill a few more holes in the Model A engine stand adapter to modify it for swiveling?

Dave in MN 08-12-2019 02:29 PM

Re: Engine stand adapter question

No reason at all. I drill all of mine.
Good Day!

jquinlan 08-12-2019 05:28 PM

Ok, thanks for the reply Dave. Just wondering why they didn't engineer it that way in the first place as it seems like rotating is probably something a lot of people would want to do working on engines.

1955cj5 08-12-2019 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another way to go is to weld a good sized nut to the stand, and make a "T" handle with the bolt to lock the adapter where you want it..

redmodelt 08-12-2019 09:13 PM

ya could go with the T handle and nut but I would rather have a pin going thru so that 65 pounds of iron at the end of the crankshaft has no way to swing down. Don't forget a hole to lock the engine vertical for doing flywheel housing setup etc

jquinlan 08-13-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1787387)
ya could go with the T handle and nut but I would rather have a pin going thru so that 65 pounds of iron at the end of the crankshaft has no way to swing down. Don't forget a hole to lock the engine vertical for doing flywheel housing setup etc

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Yeah, I'm not sure I would go with the t handle and nut because I'd rather use a large pin just for peace of mind. I'm not looking forward to drilling those holes in heavy steel though.

katy 08-13-2019 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted a gear reduction unit on my engine stand so it can easily be be turned to any angle wanted.