The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Exhaust manifold finish? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238888)

1crosscut 02-08-2018 10:51 PM

Exhaust manifold finish?

What if any factory finish was used on exhaust manifolds?

J Franklin 02-08-2018 11:33 PM

Re: Exhaust manifold finish?

Rust!

Tom Wesenberg 02-09-2018 12:25 AM

VHT Newcast paint is nice and make it look like a new casting.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-09-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1590711)
VHT Newcast paint is nice and make it look like a new casting.

Tom,
On Vermin, I used "CAST-BLAST" with a 3 Year "curing" time. Anxious to find out from his new owner, if it held up well:confused::confused:
On Minervas' Old stock exhaust system, sanded it with 180 Grit Emery Cloth & did the WHOLE thing with CAST-BLAST. "Someone"??? asked, "What did the NEW exhaust set you back"?
Bill Warmincalifornia

jwilliams81 02-09-2018 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Seymour Cast Blast.
Cured in the oven.

http://www.seymourpaint.com/product/cast-blast/
https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-16-26..._&dpSrc=detail

1crosscut 02-09-2018 08:53 AM

I've used cast blast in the past and have really liked it. Just curious if they did anything with them or sent them out raw.

Jim Baskin III Pa. 02-09-2018 08:54 AM

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Co...M-213-4318.jpg

Used this 10yrs ago and mainfold still looks new.Snyders carrys this product

Tom Wesenberg 02-09-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1590771)
I've used cast blast in the past and have really liked it. Just curious if they did anything with them or sent them out raw.

Packard and a few higher end cars had porcelain coated manifolds years ago, but other ordinary cars all came raw cast iron that I know of. I've never seen any cars with painted manifolds from the factory.

jhowes 02-09-2018 09:18 AM

Th OP's question seems to be "How did they come out of the factory?" I don't know. Jack

SeaSlugs 02-09-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1590771)

If I remember the judging standards I think they were just raw - maybe a light coat of machine oil to prevent rusting in the factory and until someone bought it. painting or coating seems like an extra step and cost that Henry wouldn't approve of.

Does anyone have a good pic of a manifold painted in cast blast? I will soon be painting my new manifold and am interested in how it turns out. Says it has a wrinkle finish that im not so sure on.

Larry Jenkins 02-09-2018 10:23 AM

Many years ago, I painted my exhaust manifold with stainless steel in a spray can. Held up very well. Sorry, don't remember the Brand Name. Google..

BillCNC 02-09-2018 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used VHT's Flame Proof Satin Clear, 1300° - 2000° and shot over a clean brand new manifold with (2) light and (1) medium wet coat. The highest temp in clear I could find.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/v.../sp115/4776745

Regards
Bill

BillCNC 02-09-2018 10:43 AM

Sorry, Double post.

Tacoma Bob 02-09-2018 11:05 AM

Geez...been so long I don't remember but I think I used a Por 15 high heat product. Looks as good today as it did in 2003.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-09-2018 06:41 PM

My CAST-BLAST wuz NOT wrinkledy! (sp?) I dreamed about doing the block with it & a FAUX Woodgrained Head! (Like the Cigar Store Indian)--LOL--Or how about a Woodgrained Fan Blade?
Bill Smooth

daveymc29 02-10-2018 11:17 PM

Bill, the Cast-Blast is holding up very well. I almost asked you this same question. I don't know where to buy it in the Bay Area. Commies won't let us have any "dangerous" products. When I get my two bladed fan I will wood grain it to look like some white pine of maybe I ought to go with Hickory?

SeaSlugs 02-10-2018 11:20 PM

Can you guys post pics of your manifolds that are painted with cast blast and the clear protectant? I'm trying to decide what to do... I appreciate it!

1crosscut 02-11-2018 07:59 PM

I'll take a few pictures for you tomorrow. Just finishing one up.

jw hash 02-12-2018 12:37 AM

I had my Victoria manifold porcelain zed cast iron, fifteen years ago and it still looks like new cast iron today. it is pretty pricey but it lasts. I used to remove my manifold and muffler every couple years and repaint them. not anymore.

burner31 02-12-2018 09:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1591529)
Can you guys post pics of your manifolds that are painted with cast blast and the clear protectant? I'm trying to decide what to do... I appreciate it!

About three years ago
And yes I know...the intake is white. I like it like that

SeaSlugs 02-12-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1592074)
About three years ago
And yes I know...the intake is white. I like it like that

Is that cast blast? Looks more like the high heat BBQ paint. My current waffle manifold is painted with that stuff and holding up great but my new repo exhaust manifold id like to keep the cast look to it.

burner31 02-12-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1592099)
Is that cast blast? Looks more like the high heat BBQ paint. My current waffle manifold is painted with that stuff and holding up great but my new repo exhaust manifold id like to keep the cast look to it.

Very good eye there SeaSlug.
Yep, high heat BBQ paint, works great, lasts long and won't break the bank.

Purdy Swoft 02-12-2018 01:34 PM

I wire brushed the rust off a used manifold and painted it with Cast Blast . I let the paint cure on the shelf untill I was ready to use it . The manifold still looks purdy good after 12 years . I figured that there was no need in spending much on manifold paint . In some cases the manifold will need replacement before the paint completely fails .

29er 02-12-2018 01:50 PM

Anybody use "Calyx Manifold Dressing"? Saw it online and wondered how it compares with other paints mentioned in this thread:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/manifold-dressing

1crosscut 02-12-2018 09:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple pictures of one I just finished using cast blast.

SeaSlugs 02-12-2018 09:35 PM

oooh shes purdy. Im sold! How did you guys cure it? Ive got all the time in the world as its Feb in central IL. So wont be messing with manifolds till i dont need to wear gloves. Time and letting it sit in a warm house or does it need to be cured in an oven?

Also is 1 can just enough for one manifold? i have 2 manifolds i need to paint and unsure if one can will be enough...

1crosscut 02-12-2018 10:07 PM

You can probably do two manifolds with one can. It'll be close.
You can cure it in an oven or a barbecue grill. I use a propane torch and play it over the manifold while checking it with a laser thermometer. You have to get it to at least 400 degrees to cure it. If you get up closer to 500 it will begin to smoke some.
I did my first one in the oven at home. Glad my wife was away on a business trip for a few days. Really stunk up the house.

SeaSlugs 02-12-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1592381)
You can probably do two manifolds with one can. It'll be close.
You can cure it in an oven or a barbecue grill. I use a propane torch and play it over the manifold while checking it with a laser thermometer. You have to get it to at least 400 degrees to cure it. If you get up closer to 500 it will begin to smoke some.
I did my first one in the oven at home. Glad my wife was away on a business trip for a few days. Really stunk up the house.

Noted on the oven haha. Hmm i got an old bbq grill that can be used. Has anyone found this stuff in a store? I plan to check Big R, TSC, Farm N Fleet, Ace, and some of the auto parts places. I coulda sworn ive seen it somewhere.

Mike V. Florida 02-13-2018 02:31 AM

Nothing was used from the factory. It was plain cast, hence the use of the "cast blast" coating to simulate the look of just cast iron.

SeaSlugs 02-16-2018 02:58 PM

https://streettechmag.com/2015/05/04...aust-manifold/

found this article using slip plate - looks nice. Not sure on the longevity or if everytime you touch it comes off on your fingers...

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-16-2018 03:14 PM

Model A Suppliers sell CAST-BLAST.

Dan Partain 02-17-2018 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used cast blast on a manifold last summer, here's a photo. It's not a wrinkle finish. I haven't cured it in any way yet, I just put it on the engine which I'll be getting started in a few weeks.

SeaSlugs 02-17-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Partain (Post 1594276)
I used cast blast on a manifold last summer, here's a photo. It's not a wrinkle finish. I haven't cured it in any way yet, I just put it on the engine which I'll be getting started in a few weeks.

IS that a special manifold that is missing the bolt holes for the intake? Looks great otherwise

Tom Wesenberg 02-18-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1594462)
IS that a special manifold that is missing the bolt holes for the intake? Looks great otherwise

Looks like tape on the area, though I'd paint everything.

Dan Partain 02-18-2018 01:16 PM

Yep, masking tape painted with Cast Blast hiding the holes.