The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mighty Wiper (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280779)

Zeke5180 05-09-2020 09:32 AM

Mighty Wiper

I'm planning on removing the vacuum wiper from my 37 slantback with a Mighty wiper kit. I'm not sure which arm length to get or what measurement to make to determine that. I did a search and noticed several members have them installed so I'm looking for tips on the installation. has anyone run into problems installing them and is there any fabrication that needs to be done.

As always, Barn members are a wealth of knowledge and always appreciated. I
look forward to your comments.

john

Ken Arms 05-09-2020 02:08 PM

Re: Mighty Wiper

Hi John, I put one in my 34, I ordered it with the wrong length blade, the folks at mighty wiper are very knowledgeable, they exchanged my blade for the correct one. I did not have a outside bezel but one comes with kit made of aluminum, you need to file it to the curve of the body, (that's the hardest part). Works great but a bit noisy. Ken

deuce lover 05-09-2020 03:07 PM

Used one in my 32 sedan I built in the mid 1990's and yes very noisy.

Zeke5180 05-09-2020 07:35 PM

Ken & Deuce Lover thanks for your input.

John

JayChicago 05-09-2020 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed Bob Drake arms/blades on my '37 closed car. The length worked out perfect. Total length, pivot to blade tip: 12-5/8". (Drake's 7-1/4" arm with 8-1/4" blade)
BUT...the arc on this electric wiper set-up is adjustable, adjusted to swing 90 degrees. I just read that the Mighty wiper is non-adjustable at 110 degree arc. With that extra swing, the blade tip just might be hitting the windshield frame.

40cpe 05-09-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayChicago (Post 1885703)
BUT...the arc on this electric wiper set-up is adjustable, adjusted to swing 90 degrees. I just read that the Mighty wiper is non-adjustable at 110 degree arc. With that extra swing, the blade tip just might be hitting the windshield frame.

Do you mind sharing whose electric wiper motor you have? Is it noisy?
thanks

JayChicago 05-09-2020 09:53 PM

Specialty Power Windows. Not noisy. Works well. This is an entirely different design. The motor mounts in the foot well, with a tube running up the A pillar to house a flexible shaft that drives a transmission at each wiper pivot. Works well, but the installation must have been a bitch. This car was built by a hot rod shop. I couldn't do this installation, would take someone with great skill at bending tubing around tight corners. (up the A pillar, into the access panel area, then around the windshield hinge. Ugh!)
There is one problem with this set-up: the transmission can only fit in the space available above the windshield header one way. Therefore both wipers swing the same way, in parallel, which is not correct. And they have to park that way too.

Zeke5180 05-10-2020 03:03 AM

Jay, thanks for your feedback. I'll look at Specialty to see their offers.

John

JayChicago 05-10-2020 12:48 PM

But don’t overlook that the install would be a nightmare.

Another problem is depth of motor does not quite fit in the kick space on a ‘37. On my car I see the interior guy had to fabricate a panel with a 1 inch bump-out to get around the motor drive box.

Re noise: How often do we ever drive these cars in the rain? Once a year maybe, if we get unlucky and don’t quite make it home before the rain falls? I could put up with noisy wipers that rarely.