The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hood release mechanism (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205296)

Bill 09-22-2016 08:03 PM

Hood release mechanism

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up this piece at Wavecrest last week. Never saw one before. Saw it in place on a 47 Ford wagon. Worked perfect. I've been waiting for mine to break for 35 years. That's when the fun starts. This will take care of that...right? Pics are self explanatory. The release handle is hidden behind the grille in easy reach. Any comments? Bill

oldford2 09-23-2016 07:40 AM

Re: Hood release mechanism

A simpler way posted by 51 merc

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162418

dude 09-23-2016 11:09 AM

More than one way to skin a pig. Hot rodding !

woodiewagon46 09-23-2016 01:40 PM

Bill, it's not that hard to open your hood if the wire snaps. What I carry in my tool box is a wooden shim used for shimming doors and windows. Also a piece of 18 ga. sheet metal covered in tape to prevent scratching. Slid the shim in to lift the hood and slide the sheet metal piece in to push back the latch. Ask me how I know, I now carry them in my tool kit.

Bill 09-23-2016 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great ideas all! Don't know how I missed the 51 Merc invention. At the very least I'll remember where I bought it every time I pull it. The release that is ...;)

ricklove 07-12-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 1358899)
Picked up this piece at Wavecrest last week. Never saw one before. Saw it in place on a 47 Ford wagon. Worked perfect. I've been waiting for mine to break for 35 years. That's when the fun starts. This will take care of that...right? Pics are self explanatory. The release handle is hidden behind the grille in easy reach. Any comments? Bill

Can you point me in the direction of where to find something like this? What is Wavecrest? Many thanks!!

drolston 07-12-2017 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys are making this way too hard. Circa 1963 the hood release on my '48 coupe rusted stuck. No amount of pulling would unlatch the hood. Took a stout bread knife and slipped it between the hood and the grill, just to the right of the safety catch, and put the tip of the blade under the cable clamp thing and on the tang that catches the release cable. One good shove on the handle of the knife and the hood popped open. Since I have little other use for a bread knife in my mobile tool box, I threw in a couple of hacksaw blades, which also work.

Some cars still have the metal cover over that latch tang; unless you need the show points, lose that cover.

fordor41 07-12-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1498317)
You guys are making this way too hard. Circa 1963 the hood release on my '48 coupe rusted stuck. No amount of pulling would unlatch the hood. Took a stout bread knife and slipped it between the hood and the grill, just to the right of the safety catch, and put the tip of the blade under the cable clamp thing and on the tang that catches the release cable. One good shove on the handle of the knife and the hood popped open. Since I have little other use for a bread knife in my mobile tool box, I threw in a couple of hacksaw blades, which also work.

Some cars still have the metal cover over that latch tang; unless you need the show points, lose that cover.

that's fine if you don't have the cover over the release cable end.

drolston 07-13-2017 11:04 AM

Exactly the point of my final comment. I note that many of those covers have been discarded along the way. Good riddance. Not sure what the purpose of that part was anyway. Except maybe to keep juvenile delinquents from popping the hood to steal a carburetor or generator from your locked car. Not that I would know anything about that.