The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Painting Copper Brake Lines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273590)

Ian1932 12-04-2019 07:08 PM

Painting Copper Brake Lines

WAIT! These lines are almost 90% copper. They are 1/4" NiCop which is a modern product MADE for brake lines!

So, im looking these lines and as neat as i try to be it looks like crap to me. I think i want to take them off and paint them black along with the brass unions. I havent tightened anything yet, all just finger tight. Maybe scuffing them with scotch brite, taping off the ends, some epoxy primer and then some black rattle can? Anyone do this or am i over thinking it? Its like a sore thumb...

TJ 12-04-2019 08:47 PM

Re: Painting Copper Brake Lines

I think the copper will eventually oxidize and not be as noticeable. I would just leave it alone.

34PKUP 12-04-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1828291)
I think the copper will eventually oxidize and not be as noticeable. I would just leave it alone.

You mean that when they turn green, they will be less noticeable?

51 MERC-CT 12-04-2019 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian1932 (Post 1828266)
WAIT! These lines are almost 90% copper. They are 1/4" NiCop which is a modern product MADE for brake lines!

So, im looking these lines and as neat as i try to be it looks like crap to me. I think i want to take them off and paint them black along with the brass unions. I havent tightened anything yet, all just finger tight. Maybe scuffing them with scotch brite, taping off the ends, some epoxy primer and then some black rattle can? Anyone do this or am i over thinking it? Its like a sore thumb...

Considering that the brake line is 90% copper, what I have used is this to blacken copper in the past.
If it works it would probably be a more durable finish than paint.
Might be worth a try.

tubman 12-04-2019 10:31 PM

I'm no metallurgist, but I believe the addition of the nickel to the alloy changes everything. One of the major advantages of NiCopp is it's resistance to corrosion. I don't believe it has much in common with unalloyed copper at all. Plus, I kind of like the look of it.

cas3 12-04-2019 11:56 PM

the solution is to drive it alot so its dusty and no one notices

redmodelt 12-05-2019 02:15 AM

Who is going to see them once the body is on?

51 MERC-CT 12-05-2019 08:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The same Aluminum Blackening will work on brass also.

richard crow 12-05-2019 09:27 AM

i had a 1930 chrysler the car had factory copper brake lines never had a prolbem car is still driven today.chrysler never made a car with mechanal brakes

Kube 12-05-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Ian, I think you are thus far doing a nice job with this project and I commend you.
The lines? My vote? Leave them. I like the detail shown in the different finishes. That's one major reason I paint my cars a color (no guys - black is not a color) - the appearance of the black frame, etc. against a colored floor pan, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm :)

Keep up the good work and please, keep us updated on your progress.

19Fordy 12-05-2019 11:17 AM

Let them be as they are and naturally age.
If you paint them they will look terrible when the paint begins to chip.

Terranova 12-05-2019 11:43 AM

1. They'll look great from my couch.
2. Especially once the body is on
3. My dad always said, "if they're close enough to see that (meaning under your car) they need to be punched". (Assuming this car is for driving and not judging.)

Y-Blockhead 12-05-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1828365)
The same Aluminum Blackening will work on brass also.

Or they also make "Brass Black".

philipswanson 12-05-2019 12:33 PM

Replace them with stainless and be done with it. Not that expensive. Recommend Classic Tube custom bent to fit. Easy job.

51 MERC-CT 12-05-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1828447)
Or they also make "Brass Black".

Yes, I know that they have "Brass Black" but at the time I had 'Aluminum Black' and figured I would try it and it worked. (might be the same stuff with a different label)

Tinker 12-06-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1828398)
Ian, I think you are thus far doing a nice job with this project and I commend you.
The lines? My vote? Leave them. I like the detail shown in the different finishes. That's one major reason I paint my cars a color (no guys - black is not a color) - the appearance of the black frame, etc. against a colored floor pan, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm :)

Keep up the good work and please, keep us updated on your progress.

I have not seen the pictures, but I agree. copper looks great against black. Technically black is the absence of color. But it is a color really. Same as white, total light. Both effect color. But correct, tradition sense is black and white is not a color in certain circles. My truck is black.

To go off topic. Black doesn't technically reflect light so it's considered not a color. But we see it. But we don't see ultraviolet light. Maybe that's not a color, butterflies do see it... and maybe if we could see it we would be filled with air that has color and couldn't see our hand in front of our face.

Not George 12-06-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34PKUP (Post 1828303)
You mean that when they turn green, they will be less noticeable?

Copper turns black after green. At least the new copper roofs in my neighbor hood did.

Bored&Stroked 12-06-2019 10:52 AM

Since a 32 Ford never had any hydraulic brake lines in the first place - they will always stand out a bit.

I would not use regular paint as we all know what brake fluid does to paint - it won't last at the connections to the rear wheel cylinders. Once the paint starts to lift - it will really look like crap.

I like the looks of nicop lines - I think it will be just fine once you get the body on it and let them age just a bit.

Mr. Will 12-06-2019 11:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I used that new material on both my 35 and 36 and thought it looked great.

34PKUP 12-06-2019 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Not George (Post 1828738)
Copper turns black after green. At least the new copper roofs in my neighbor hood did.

Really?
Wonder how many years it will take for this statue to turn black.