The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering Column Adjustment (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242010)

BakesJr 04-05-2018 11:17 AM

Steering Column Adjustment

I'm trying to set the spark timing and when I move the steering column lever, the upper point plate control arm contacts one side of the opening of the distributor but not the other.
How do I rorate the steering column? The bolts that hold the steering box to the frame hold everything rigid. Or do I need to shim the steering box to rotate the column?
I am very new to this stuff, ok maybe no experience, but I'm still having fun.

Thanks in advance!

Curtis in MA 04-05-2018 11:55 AM

Re: Steering Column Adjustment

What year car?

abachman3 04-05-2018 11:57 AM

It depends on which steering box you have. Early boxes, seven tooth, cannot be adjusted in that respect. With two tooth, loosen the clamp bolt just above the gear box and rotate the outer sleeve portion accordingly. Tighten the clamp when finished.

myford7 04-05-2018 12:02 PM

Its my understanding that if the car is a 28-29, there is not adjustment to the steering column. On the 30-31 there is a clamp just above the steering box that you can loosen and then turn the steering column and move the control arm. Anyway that's how my 30 is.

BakesJr 04-05-2018 12:11 PM

Year 1929 with a 7 tooth gearbox. So with that going against me whats my other options? I could make a little coupler with set screws and cut the linkage arm in 2 and adjust it that way but I like to keep things original.

BakesJr 04-05-2018 12:13 PM

1929 7 tooth gearbox

Curtis in MA 04-05-2018 12:18 PM

Turn the whole steering column.

Dave in MN 04-05-2018 12:45 PM

If it were my car, I would slightly "tweak" the end of the control arm. A small amount of bending of the ball end will not be noticeable when the hood is up but will make a change in how it indexes the upper plate. Another option, change out the long control rod as it may be short or long.
Good Day!

BakesJr 04-05-2018 04:02 PM

Ok, at least I'm not missing the obvious, I'll try that and see how it turns out.
Thanks again!

JBill 04-05-2018 04:20 PM

Parts houses have small collars with set screws you can use to modify the length of the control rods.

JBill 04-05-2018 04:26 PM

In the Snyder's catalog it's called a "spark rod sleeve."

BakesJr 04-05-2018 06:27 PM

Thanks JBill, thats a big help!
I joined the Ford Barn forum sometime back but forgot about it. It's turning out to be a big help and its fun having individuals out there willing to share their knowledge for the sake of having a passion for the Ford Model A!!

Gary WA 04-05-2018 08:25 PM

Make sure u have correct length rods, do it properly, loosen clamp inside also,rotate.

1crosscut 04-05-2018 09:58 PM

I did what Dave suggests in post #8
Take the control rod off of the arm on the steering column and using a pliers tweek the ball and arm in the direction necessary to get full travel. It will move rather easily. Move it a little at a time until you get it to where it needs to be. That way you won't be moving it back and forth weakening the metal.

Growley bear 04-06-2018 05:52 AM

After market arms are made of pot metal which doesn't bend well. The Ford arms are made of steel, be careful that the ball hasn't been partially cut away by the action of the rod movement over the years.