The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Square head round hole (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230824)

J Wade 10-08-2017 07:46 PM

Square head round hole

I,m putting the front spring together on a 28 tudor and the book calls for a 5/16-18X2 3/4 square head bolt. I don't have one and the cross member is wollered out. How critical is this and do I need to weld up the cross member and get a square headed bolt. it looks like the bolt has been broke for some time. Thanks

Chris Haynes 10-08-2017 08:45 PM

Re: Square head round hole

Short answer, YES.

Steve Plucker 10-08-2017 09:56 PM

Chris is right...That square hole that is suposed to be in front cross member is there for a reason and the square bolt head is there for a reason otherwise your front end will not stay stable and will ever so slightly move around and you sure do not want.

You also want that square hole that you will be reparing in the exact right spot or your front end will be shifted one way or the other and you sure do not want that either!

Pluck

J Wade 10-08-2017 10:04 PM

Thank guys. I was hoping there was a shortcut but it looks like this is one I need to get right.

Tom Wesenberg 10-08-2017 10:17 PM

You can weld the hole shut, then drill the hole the same diameter as the side of the square bolt head, then use a square file to file the 4 corners. I had to do this on a frame crossmember with no bolt hole.

J Wade 10-08-2017 10:48 PM

Thanks Tom. If I do this I assume I'll have to find the exact center of the crossmember.

Steve Plucker 10-09-2017 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Wade (Post 1536915)
Thanks Tom. If I do this I assume I'll have to find the exact center of the crossmember.

There is no assumeing on this one...you have to!

Pluck

J Wade 10-09-2017 11:54 PM

The red book says you put 8 inches of welding glued to the spring and greased on top. It wasn't on my springs. What can I use and does everyone do this.

Steve Plucker 10-10-2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Wade (Post 1537426)
The red book says you put 8 inches of welding glued to the spring and greased on top. It wasn't on my springs. What can I use and does everyone do this.

Welding??????? I dont think so! I think you meant webbing like frame to body anti-squeak webbing.

The answer is NO...do not use it. Ford never used it. Think about it...so you put the webbing between the bottom of the front cross member and the top of the spring. Sooner or later it will wear then what do you have? A slight gap between the bottom of the cross member and the spring which will equal a slight shifting of the front end sooner or later...Is that something you want?

At least that is my thinking anyway...someone else may disagree and have different thoughts about it.

Pluck