The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   32 3 window door stuff (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309140)

Jefscoupe 01-22-2022 02:14 PM

32 3 window door stuff

Rebuilding the doors.
3-Window Coupe.
I have most all the original hardware but one of the regulator springs popped when I was cleaning it up.
I had pre-cleaned them and worked them all the way back and forth and they worked well. Then I was soaking them in rust remover soak (Rust-Oleum brand) and while scrubbing, it just popped! I wasn’t even touching it!
Anyway, there are two springs. One large and one small.
The small one broke.
Doing a search I found some at a couple different suppliers but they don’t say, specifically which spring they have. One gives a diameter. It’s close to mine, but a little smaller. It’s listed as Model A, 32,34 etc.
I think that was Mac’s.
Thoughts?
Secondly, who sells the best fitting, complete window channel kit?
Bob Drake doesn’t have them anymore.
Drake seems to be selling out its stock and not replenishing.
Very limited selection anymore.

Fordors 01-22-2022 03:34 PM

Re: 32 3 window door stuff

We can’t blame Bob, he is retired and the way I saw it online his son say’s they let him visit but he no longer calls the shots. The new regime looks to be halting replenishment of a lot of things and I guess it will only get worse. Even their print catalogs are a thing of the past, online only now.
It’s unlikely that anyone will step up and pick up the slack so try to find what you want now.

Jefscoupe 01-22-2022 03:41 PM

Not blaming anyone.
Just was surprised to see one of the biggest at one time going down.
I ordered parts from them back in the 90s and had good results.
I should have been ordering more back then, I guess.

Karl Wescott 01-22-2022 05:08 PM

Ford had two or three (or more?) window regulator designs (See DavidG's "1932 Ford Book" for more details) and had two or more suppliers for the regulators. Internal parts differed between suppliers. Its a crap shoot as to what was used. Consider replacing the regulator assembly. Both Vintique and United Pacific make a version (Vintiques does not work well out of the box, but with a specific modification does just fine).

sugarmaker 01-22-2022 05:59 PM

Looks like Wescott has a bunch of nice 32 door stuff. I went a different route and am going to glue in my window felts and items from Snyder's. Looks like they will work fine. But my unit is a driver not a 1000 point show machine.
I think we need some pictures if your car!
Regards,
Chris

TJ 01-22-2022 08:31 PM

You might also check with Regulator Roy who advertises in the V-8 Times every month.He has lots of NOS window parts and really knows his parts.

Terry,OH 01-23-2022 07:34 AM

As Karl mentions above with the different regulators, it may be best to post a photo of what you have

Jefscoupe 02-03-2022 06:28 PM

I got the door stuff sorted out. Just waiting for the parts.
Seems they are stranded in Waterloo, IA.