The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas additive (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270056)

Lefthander1930 09-26-2019 11:04 PM

Gas additive

Do I need to run some kind Lead/fuel additive in My A ? Is there a certain brand to look for ?

Lefthander1930

40 Deluxe 09-26-2019 11:15 PM

Re: Gas additive

The gas available when Model A's were new or near new did not have lead so it's not needed now.

TerryH 09-26-2019 11:38 PM

Many add Marvel Mystery Oil to each tank of gas....long history of it being used....4 oz per 10 gallons....

Synchro909 09-27-2019 12:44 AM

I add a lead substiute every fill. 1ml per litre. For thoise not so familiar with the metric system, that's 1 in 1,000. It acts as an upper cylinder lubricant AND a lead replacement. I'm sure there will be something similar available over there. The one I use is Australian formulated and made. (Flashlube)

Patrick L. 09-27-2019 05:45 AM

Nothing needed. But a little ATF doesn't hurt.

updraught 09-27-2019 06:57 AM

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....d-to-gasoline/

With compression of 4.2:1, I doubt there is anything to worry about.

"This didn’t seem to faze Midley, who himself came down with lead poisoning during the planning phase. While recovering in Miami, Midgley wrote to an oil industry engineer that public poisoning was “almost impossible, as no one will repeatedly get their hands covered in gasoline containing lead…”"

This has never happened to you, has it .... ?

Redbird 09-27-2019 08:23 AM

We have ethynol free gas at our Quick Trip gas stations and some Walmarts here in TX!

rotorwrench 09-27-2019 08:40 AM

The model A was made to run some pretty crappy fuel back in that time frame. Tetra ethyl lead wasn't added until higher compression cars became available. All the additives are is a top end lube to increase the life of the valve train. Most modern unleaded fuels already have additive for valves in them. If an engine already has hardened valve seats then a top end lube is really not all that necessary. MMO certainly won't hurt though as long as a person puts in no more than is recommended.

1931 flamingo 09-27-2019 12:32 PM

Lead additive a waste of money as is ZDDP. Use StaBil or SeaFoam and glug glug glug of MMO or ATF. JMO
Paul in CT

Werner 09-27-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

But a little ATF doesn't hurt.
ATF is not a good idea! ATF Oil contains many additives (friction improvement, high pressure sulfurization, no antioxidant, etc.) which are not suitable for ashless combustion. ATF is an oil for use outside of internal combustion engines.

If no special top oil (f.ex. MMO), then use 0.5% synthetic two-stroke oil.

All gear oils burn with a lot of carbon residue!

Forddan 09-27-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1803693)
Lead additive a waste of money as is ZDDP. Use StaBil or SeaFoam and glug glug glug of MMO or ATF. JMO
Paul in CT

Second posting I read with your glug glug glug of MMO.....LOL

Can you please tell me the meaning.

Thanks !!!

Patrick L. 09-27-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1803711)
ATF is not a good idea! ATF Oil contains many additives (friction improvement, high pressure sulfurization, no antioxidant, etc.) which are not suitable for ashless combustion. ATF is an oil for use outside of internal combustion engines.

If no special top oil (f.ex. MMO), then use 0.5% synthetic two-stroke oil.

All gear oils burn with a lot of carbon residue!

I guess engines over here did not get that memo. Its worked since it was discovered. Works good on valve guides and keeps carbon loosened up. Also seems to keep carburetors from varnishing. Been using it personally for 6 decades, guess I'll keep on.

1931 flamingo 09-27-2019 06:11 PM

Forddan: I never carried a measuring cup with me. Most say 4 oz of MMO to 10 gal
of gas. I just tip the bottle and : glug glug glug. More than 4 oz not going to hurt anything.
Paul

Forddan 09-27-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1803797)
Forddan: I never carried a measuring cup with me. Most say 4 oz of MMO to 10 gal
of gas. I just tip the bottle and : glug glug glug. More than 4 oz not going to hurt anything.
Paul

Thank you Paul !!!

Nice to know from your experience that more than 4 oz will not hurt. As I never wait to have the tank empty it is not easy to add the correct amount. So I was adding "what I though mathematically was correct" but for sure it is more than the 4 oz / 10 G.

I only had the car since January. My first year. So still learning.

Thanks again!!!

eagle 09-27-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1803720)
I guess engines over here did not get that memo. Its worked since it was discovered. Works good on valve guides and keeps carbon loosened up. Also seems to keep carburetors from varnishing. Been using it personally for 6 decades, guess I'll keep on.

I second that. I've been using ATF in small engines for a long time. Briggs two cylinder engines have a habit of sticking valves. ATF in the gas will solve the issue.

Patrick L. 09-28-2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1803893)
I second that. I've been using ATF in small engines for a long time. Briggs two cylinder engines have a habit of sticking valves. ATF in the gas will solve the issue.

At the other end of the spectrum, early hydraulic lifters were famous for sticking/rattling. A cure was an oil drain and a fill with ATF, run the engine until they started working again. Change the oil and give it back to the owner.

rotorwrench 09-28-2019 08:03 AM

Posts about gas and oil are always interesting in there results. If it was good enough for Grandpa? OK?

Patrick L. 09-28-2019 08:08 AM

Some things change, some don't. Some of the old stuff still works.