The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A - Day of manufacture? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254392)

Neil Wilson 11-07-2018 12:31 PM

Model A - Day of manufacture?

Is there a listing of the manufacture day for the Model A?

I know there is a list of engine numbers by month (not looking for that).

Dave in MD 11-07-2018 07:26 PM

Re: Model A - Day of manufacture?

Neil,
Ford kept two sets of engine logs during the Model A days. The first are the daily engine logs from the Rouge plant, which have survived and are available and according to the late George De Angeles the daily engine dispersal logs which listed the engine numbers sent to each U.S. assembly plant. George never found the second set of logs at the archives. I imagine the assembly plants kept logs of car production, but am not aware of any that have been found.
Regards,
Dave

Neil Wilson 11-08-2018 11:06 AM

So there is no listing to reference for the exact day when a Model A rolled off the assembly line?????????????????

Engine dates are a different subject. I have seen that information.

pj's junkers 11-08-2018 11:39 AM

Probably lost in the Rotunda fire in 62

Mike V. Florida 11-08-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Wilson (Post 1693977)
So there is no listing to reference for the exact day when a Model A rolled off the assembly line?????????????????

Engine dates are a different subject. I have seen that information.

That is correct. This is the reason the when judging the A there is an allowance of 3 months from engine date.

Tom Wesenberg 11-09-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj's junkers (Post 1693988)
Probably lost in the Rotunda fire in 62

I agree, as that's the story I heard many years ago.

Steve Plucker 11-09-2018 09:28 PM

The closest one can get on this subject are the Assembly Plant's BILL OF SALE if you are lucky enough to have one that matches a particulr Model A/AA Ford for which you are looking at.

Pluck

garyjohn 11-09-2018 10:04 PM

1928s had the date stamped on the fire wall

Chris Haynes 11-09-2018 10:38 PM

" the daily engine dispersal logs which listed the engine numbers sent to each U.S. assembly plant."

I would like to see this in hopes I could find out were my truck was built.

Tom Wesenberg 11-10-2018 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1694586)
" the daily engine dispersal logs which listed the engine numbers sent to each U.S. assembly plant."

Look on the floor, about where the driver's left foot heel would be if he sat with his feet straight down. All three of my numbers start with TC, so I know they all were assembled in the Twin Cities.

Steve Plucker 11-10-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1694586)

Chris,

It is belived that those particular "logs" were destroyed in the Ford Motor Company's Routunda fire in the early 1960's.

If so, that was a big, BIG loss for us in the Model A/AA Ford hobby!

Pluck

Steve Plucker 11-10-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyjohn (Post 1694584)
1928s had the date stamped on the fire wall

Gary,

It is thought, but not yet 100% proven, that those dates on the firewall represent the "date" the gas tank was completed and insepcted at Dearborn/Fordson factory and not when the A or AA was built.

See this data for more information on the subject:

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...ND%20CODES.pdf

Pluck

dean from bozeman 11-10-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Plucker (Post 1694627)
Gary,

It is thought, but not yet 100% proven, that those dates on the firewall represent the "date" the gas tank was completed and insepcted at Dearborn/Fordson factory and not when the A or AA was built.

Pluck

Pluck, I know that you do an amazing amount of research. It would be interesting to check known original cars to see if their firewall date agreed with their engine number and the body serial number information.

Have you ever looked into whether the dates on the firewall agree with the engine number information? It would amaze me that Ford would spend money, time and effort to make sure that a gas tank had a date on it. It's not like a gallon of milk that can go bad if not sold by a particular date.

Chris Haynes 11-10-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1694607)
Look on the floor, about where the driver's left foot heel would be if he sat with his feet straight down. All three of my numbers start with TC, so I know they all were assembled in the Twin Cities.

Tom,
That works good for a '28/'29. No numbers on my May 1930 cab. No firewall date either.

Steve Plucker 11-10-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean from bozeman (Post 1694739)
Pluck, I know that you do an amazing amount of research. It would be interesting to check known original cars to see if their firewall date agreed with their engine number and the body serial number information.

Have you ever looked into whether the dates on the firewall agree with the engine number information? It would amaze me that Ford would spend money, time and effort to make sure that a gas tank had a date on it. It's not like a gallon of milk that can go bad if not sold by a particular date.

Dean,

Yes I have and I have very good list going.

Here you go... http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...te%20Study.pdf

Pluck