The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Fords and Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11569)

kenparker 08-23-2010 03:06 PM

Model A Fords and Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines

I am off on a new wild hair. The adapting a 2.3 liter engine (Ford Ranger Pickup) engine into a Model A. I have read and heard that the 2.0 Pinto engine is an easy adapt and the 2.3 is not a good choice due to fit or some other problem. Can someone shed some light on the goood and bads of putting a 2.3 liter engine in a Model A? i have two of the 2.3 liter engines and want something to do with them.

David Conwill 08-23-2010 03:42 PM

Re: Model A Fords and Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines

They go in Pintos, don't they? ;)

I think this would be a good question for the HAMB.

-Dave

Bassman/NZ 08-23-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenparker (Post 66453)
I am off on a new wild hair. The adapting a 2.3 liter engine (Ford Ranger Pickup) engine into a Model A. I have read and heard that the 2.0 Pinto engine is an easy adapt and the 2.3 is not a good choice due to fit or some other problem. Can someone shed some light on the goood and bads of putting a 2.3 liter engine in a Model A? i have two of the 2.3 liter engines and want something to do with them.

You're kidding.... right?

marc hildebrant 08-23-2010 03:46 PM

Ken,

Does the car have a Model A engine now ? If so, why change it ?

Marc

Art Bjornestad 08-23-2010 04:02 PM

A bad choice! Some research will point out the the gearing on a Model A will allow the engine to spin at about 2300 or so at 50 mph. A Pinto engine is not developing much horsepower at that speed and little torque. They make a neat little around town car a pain to drive IMHO. I have owned one and that was my take.

Spend what it takes to make the A or B engine run correctly and these cars are a joy.

J Franklin 08-23-2010 04:54 PM

The good would be you would spend some money and help the economy some. The bad would be the car really wouldn't be a Model A Ford any longer.

Ron in Quincy 08-23-2010 05:12 PM

Why put this kind of garbage on this forum; most of us like to keep our A's with a 4 cylinder A or B engine.

Sorry thats how I feel !!!!!

Ron

raprice 08-23-2010 05:25 PM

Ron, I couldn't agree more. What's wrong with a Model A engine? If some wants to have more power, then go to another car that would satisfy him. Just my 2 cents.
Rog

denis4x4 08-23-2010 05:27 PM

OK.....I'm just finishing up a build on a 1.8 sohc Courier engine. Domed .040 pistons, Offy Dual Port manifold, Weber carb, Crower cam, balanced crank, lightened flywheel and a 4 speed ZF transmission. It's going in a '29 huckster with a 3:78 gears and an open driveshaft. Did my homework and with the gearing and a cam set for max torque at 3000 to 4000 RPM, these should be a great runnerToo bad these guys are bad mouthing those of us with creative juices! The stock A rear end, drive shaft with a BorgWarnert O'drive is being passed on FREE to a guy with a 31 ccpu. It will join my fleet of award winning model A powered hot rods with period correct speed equipment.

1931 flamingo 08-23-2010 06:00 PM

Ken, are you not the fellow who built (still building) the slant window with the pinto engine, or do I have U mixed up with someone else?
Paul in CT

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-23-2010 06:07 PM

Denis, I don't think that folks here are necessarily bad mouthing y'all with creative juices but asking it on this type of forum is kinda like publicly asking for advice on starting a 'House of Ill Repute' to attendees at the Republican National Party fund raiser! :D

LeroyM 08-23-2010 06:20 PM

There was a guy named Dick Sparks who had a 2.3 motor in one of his cars. I tried doing the same thing in my coupe and ran into a few problems. One is if you plan to make it fit in like the Model A motor does you need to grind the oil filter boss off the block to make the Model A starter clear, also the Model A starter needs to have some grinding on it to make it fit also. Once you grind this oil filter boss off you run into the problem of hitting the water jacket in the 2.3 motor which then would need to be fixed if you get to close like I did.

Another thing you will also need to have an adapter made to make it bolt up to the Model A flywheel housing, you will also need to have a round spacer made to extend the 2.3 crank to allow you to run the Model A or 39 transmission. It can be done but the 2.3 I think only puts out 90hp stock and you can come close to that with a good Model B with some bolt on goodies.

I think I still have some info on the 2.3 I can find if you want more info.

700rpm 08-23-2010 06:30 PM

There are many new street rod frames and repro bodies out there. Put your 2.3's in something like that and leave the stock Model A's stock.

sonny30coupe 08-23-2010 06:34 PM

a 2.3 does not belong in a model a.........duh

pj's junkers 08-23-2010 06:40 PM

Call Dick Sparks in Tyler, Tx at 903-360-7116. He put one his slant windshield sedan

tuneman 08-23-2010 07:33 PM

My 2 cents ?

It's his car! He wasn't asking for a opinon on
installing it ,Only if we had any fit advise!!!
If you guys want to save them all. Start buying all you can find. Then do with them what you please because you then own them.
My self i'am almost a purest , But belive that if it's yours you can do what you want. If i can help you solve a problem i will. But with hold
criticizing you on your choices!

Mitch//pa 08-23-2010 08:41 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/s...n/post_old.gif 05-24-2010, 12:19 AM #5 Ryan
Administrator

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/image....ine=1273093177

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Non HAMB rod sections
The ford barn will focus on restoration... And stock fords. We might have a side bar here and there, but restoration will remain the focus.

Once the novelty wears off the new format, we will start pointing more in that direction.

so i take this as if you want to put a 2.0,2.3, or a 7.3 diesel in your model A it belongs on another forum.....

skip 08-23-2010 09:07 PM

Look if your going to do the Pinto 4 cylinder inline and live with this engine that was designed with a higher rev limit might as well go for broke and find a
FORD V-4. They are around. Ford sold them to SAAB and SAAB used them in their SAAB Sonnet. These ran as smooth as a Mazda Rotary. Dad and I cut the 40 hp Johnson 2 cycle O/B off the back of one of his houseboats and hung this Ford V-4 IB/OB unit on the transom. Sweet motor. Nice and short, not too wide.

skip.

denis4x4 08-23-2010 09:11 PM

Brent....it's way to easy to twist tails on the Fordbarn! That said, I will swear on a stack of Bibles to never post hot rod stuff here if there are no pix of 16" wheels, tips on installing inserts, showing how to install a '39 transmission or instructions on installing a third brake light on a ccpu.

I appreciate the work that goes into the restoration of a Model A. By the same token, there was plenty of speed equipment available for T's and A's in the twenties and thirties. Finally, every single one of my hot rod A's was manufactured from bits and pieces and every single piece that was usable was sold for pennies on the dollar or given away. So, perhaps the purists should get a sense of humor.

Jordan 08-23-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 66667)
brent....it's way to easy to twist tails on the fordbarn! That said, i will swear on a stack of bibles to never post hot rod stuff here if there are no pix of 16" wheels, tips on installing inserts, showing how to install a '39 transmission or instructions on installing a third brake light on a ccpu.

I appreciate the work that goes into the restoration of a model a. By the same token, there was plenty of speed equipment available for t's and a's in the twenties and thirties. Finally, every single one of my hot rod a's was manufactured from bits and pieces and every single piece that was usable was sold for pennies on the dollar or given away. So, perhaps the purists should get a sense of humor.

^amen