The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rebuilt rear end has a wine in it (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248513)

Al 29Tudor 07-27-2018 09:47 AM

Rebuilt rear end has a wine in it

Hi all,
I just built up a rear end with good castings, axles, carrier, spider etc. Also a good looking ring and pinion set. All the bearings, races and seals are new. This was done in preparation of installing a new Mitchell over drive.
Problem is now that it has a wine in it.
The carrier was set to 17 inch pounds preload and just a very small backlash I did not measure. After setting the preload I split the shim set left and right for the backlash.
My first though is that maybe I have the pinion bearings too tight.
I sure could use some advice on the problem.
Thanks for your help.
Al

Marshall V. Daut 07-27-2018 09:52 AM

Re: Rebuilt rear end has a wine in it

I once made this silly mistake after rebuilding a rear end: I forgot to add lubricant! That was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOG time ago, however. Not to be insulting, but did YOU remember? :) Eliminate the easy things first. And what grade did you use? 600w or a modern multi-viscosity?
After a drive, feel the pumpkin center. If too hot to keep your hand on the metal, the pre-load is too tight or there's not enough clearance between the pinion and ring gear teeth. You may notice the paint peeling off the center of the rear end because of the extra heat generated by these problems.
Marshall

gustafson 07-27-2018 10:09 AM

mis-matched R&P

Corley 07-27-2018 10:15 AM

Maybe it's that wine you put in instead of 600 gear oil. Did you use a rosie', white wine, ??? I find dark wines a bit too tart for my tastes, and I whine a lot when served one of them.

The pinion depth and backlash need to be pretty spot on if you don't want whine. Did you do a pattern check on your setup? Talk to Tom Endy, he knows it all on rear axles.

Al 29Tudor 07-27-2018 10:49 AM

I used STP 85/140, GL5, the weight recommended by Mitchell for the O.D. so I used it in the rear also. Non synthetic. R & P are a matched set from another rear end. I didn't do a pattern check. I used Tom's procedure but apparently I did something wrong.
Thanks for your help

Kohnke Rebabbitting 07-27-2018 11:23 AM

If the clearance between the Ring and Pinion is right, not under .006, and not over .010, depending on the gears, and used gears don't Bottom out, with out any, tuff turn spots?

It sounds like you used, a used set of Ring, and Pinion gears. If that is the case, weather they were a matched set or not, there is NO way you can set the mesh on used gears that they won't Wine, or Howell. It's just a matter of fact.

With that said, they still will work fine, but get used to the wine!

Herm.

Jim Brierley 07-27-2018 11:42 AM

I installed a mis-matched 4.11 R&P once and it had a very small whine at about 45 mph, otherwise was quiet. These rear ends are not rocket-science and as long as the clearance between the R&P are good, all else should be good.

Willie Krash 07-27-2018 01:01 PM

Mine whines at 27MPH. Alerts me if I'm over the speed limit in town.Win/win.

42merc 07-27-2018 01:27 PM

You need a little cheese with that "wine".

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Dodge 07-28-2018 02:37 AM

That was a cheesey joke

machineman64 07-28-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting (Post 1656221)
If the clearance between the Ring and Pinion is right, not under .006, and not over .010, depending on the gears, and used gears don't Bottom out, with out any, tuff turn spots?

It sounds like you used, a used set of Ring, and Pinion gears. If that is the case, weather they were a matched set or not, there is NO way you can set the mesh on used gears that they won't Wine, or Howell. It's just a matter of fact.

With that said, they still will work fine, but get used to the wine!

Herm.

about 4 or 5 years ago I rebuilt the rear end in my 30 coup with miss matched gears and it runs as quiet as my Cadillac, no noise what so ever.
John

P.S. 07-28-2018 09:43 AM

Went to a seminar at a club north of me when I wanted to remove a non-Mitchell overdrive and go back to stock. That meant pulling the pinion carrier out of the banjo to remove the stub shaft and replace with a full length drive shaft (and stock torque tube, etc.). The guy who 'pressed' the pinion carrier back into the banjo did it wrong and it was a little crooked. The rear end whined (and occasionally growled) for 50 miles all the way home. I pulled the rear end and did it again. With the pinion carrier perfectly straight, no more problems.